New Gp2x F-200

Squidge said:
Works fine here on FF 2.0.0.6 WinXP/i686. Must be Linux that sucks ;)
Works fine here on FF 2.0.0.6 Linux/i686. Must be his computer that sucks :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
Squidge said:

Fine here too. FF 2.0.0.6 Ubuntu Linux. BUT I installed all sort of fonts throught synaptic. :)

Seiti said:
Orkie said:
Squidge said:

Fine here too. FF 2.0.0.6 Ubuntu Linux. BUT I installed all sort of fonts throught synaptic. :)

No problem here either with FF 2.0.0.6 (Gnome Light on Gentoo x86).

va1210 said:
Seiti said:
Orkie said:
Squidge said:

Works fine here on LF 0.3.2 Must be non Gecko 2007 browsers that suck.

The reason is probably because Bleh never installed the font packs that contain courier new. Or he doesn't even have... terminal?

firefox menu

Edit >Preferences >Content > Advanced

Click "Allow pages to choose own fonts"

*fixed*

happy browsing

PSyMastR said:
va1210 said:
Seiti said:
Orkie said:
Squidge said:

Works fine here on LF 0.3.2 Must be non Gecko 2007 browsers that suck.

The reason is probably because Bleh never installed the font packs that contain courier new. Or he doesn't even have... terminal?

Oh, for crying out loud! just stretch the browser window over ~1000 pixels. yes, it would be impossible on a non-widescreen monitor, but it's not a browser issue

Orkie said:
The processor speed is standardised already, at 200MHz.
No, the processor speed is substandardised. ;)

Almost all of the emulators of 16-bit systems only deliver really satisfactory performance once you crank the clock to at least 235-240Mhz. I'd have imagined that given that the GP2X came out a few years ago that GPH could now get chips which were ALL stable at higher frequencies for a LOT less than they originally shelled out for their lotto-chips.

Seeing as this is a new hardware revision it's penny-pinching laziness for them not to do the right thing and allow everyone to have a decent processor speed guaranteed on their machine, rather than damning a lot of customers to jealously eyeing the forums because they aren't one of the many lucky users can overclock theirs to 280Mhz and get far more solid framerates on the emulators.

The new F-200 has an advantage which other bloggers, technews & so forth have said that the new model can multitask. I dont know if its a rumor or how they confirmed this but you can play music while looking at photos or playing games. Think the new model has some sort of home enabled thing like the PSP?

Don't know what "home enabled" is, but the "can multi task" just means that they have launched there movie player/etc in the background rather than foreground. It can be done on any Linux device (yes, including the F100) by simply launching your music player from a script and appending a '&' to end of the line.

sold said:
Simple thought. Don't buy it then. There, problem solved. This goes for everyone who is angry about this. If you don't want to buy the F-200, then don't. biggrin.gif
Fair point :lol: I was just venting a little. The stupid design flaws of the old models really hit home when I saw the new version. I think GPH have pissed alot of people in the community off by fixing the design flaws way too late.

They can still suck my balls though :lol:

Edit: Cervante, I know my criticism sounded harsh, and you also make fair points. But GPH have FINALLY made the improvements people have been asking for, but not before they sold all the units they had originally manufactured. It seems a little harsh they'll take peoples money and then it's like "here's the same product fixed the way you wanted it in the first place" It's kinda offensive that all the feedback people made that they thought fell upon deaf ears actually didn't.

As for updating the firmware, I'll just wait for open2x. Sounds like its gonna be good. :)

Well yeah I am dissapointed that they waited so long to do this. To me that is the only complaint. This updated system is still not out and to me it should have been released in March or April, not the end of October. I guess we need to realize though that GPH is not Sony or Nintendo with billion dollar budgets and offices full of full time engineers and designers working on these things. They are a super small company of a couple of guys on a shoe string budget. We are lucky we got this as opposed to just dropping out of business altogether.

As far as them fixing it to the way it should have been in the first place, even the big boys do this. Ever hear of the DS lite? In my opinion the DS should have always been like the lite. The first edition of the DS was dreadful in my opinion. The D-pad was crap, the buttons too small and shallow, the unit was bulky, heavy, and uncomfortable, the screens were dim and colors washed out with poor contrast. They pretty much fixed all of that with the Lite. Are you also pissed at Nintendo for taking our money with the Lite for fixing problems that should not have been there? Are you pissed that they didn't totally re-do the CPUs with more power, speed etc and lose backwards compatibility? Should we be pissed at Sony for upgrading the PSP too? I think improving/revising hardware is a good thing. Don't like it? keep what you have and don't buy it then.

To me the GP2X MK3 is a good update for such a small company. That is all it is is an MK3, it is not a "new unit". It still offers more of an upgrade than the MK1 to MK2 did. It fixes what to me was the *biggest* flaw of the GP2X, that crap stick. You can have the best system specs ever but they mean nothing if the conrols suck. I just wish it was out now.

I'd have to agree with DaveC on this one. I have a MK1 and MK2 GP2X. No doubt in my mind I will also get a MK3 with the new improved pad. Can't wait for that one! The touchscreen will also be nice for games and emulators. Perhaps we can have a GP2X version of Braintraining? Or Minesweeper? Or Sodoku? I hope someone will be able to write some nice handwriting recognition libraries for the developers to use! :)

I also bought the original NDS Phat and later the NDS Lite. I still use both and sort of like the Phat in some ways more than the Lite.

With the PSP Slim soon coming, I'll have no doubt in my mind that I'll get that one too. Perhaps it will have a better screen? That would be awesome! :)

I do like this, it's a worthy MK3 of our favourite open gaming device, but as I already have a MK2 that will happily do 300 MHz, I don't think I'll be taking chances in buying this revision and getting a less overclockable unit. However, I would encourage anyone owning a MK1 or MK2 that won't overclock to more than 240MHz, to get this new revision, because even if you may still get a unit that won't go higher in terms of CPU speed, at least you'll have some nice advantages over the MK2 to make up for it. Also, I'd recommend it of course to anyone who doesn't already have a GP2X, as this is likely to be the final version.

Offering better hardware revisions is usually a good thing, although sometimes it can get annoying. Case in point: Gameboy Micro - was GBA SP so lacking that it needed to revert back to a non-clamshell design with a smaller screen that threw out GB/C compatibility altogether and came with a higher pricetag? On the other hand, if only improvements are offered and the price is the same or lower I'm all for it. The only other thing is that I don't like all of the new spin put on a couple relatively small changes/additions (bundling all the freeware games by other people makes me feel vaguely sick too) but it's not like we'll ever escape marketing. GPH doesn't really have what it takes to fix ALL of GP2X's flaws but at least they got the most glaring one and tacked on a cheap little extra too.

Handwriting recognition.. yeah, if someone ports an existing library I could see it happening. Otherwise I'd be really shocked if any of the devs feel like making something that only a (probably small) percentage of GP2X users will be able to take advantage of.

This looks sooo good, I'll definatley be getting one as my GP2X doesn't overclock reliably at the moment, so maybe I'll luck out with a new one...

I can't wait for touchscreen support in emulators for mouse driven systems like Amiga, Atari ST etc or trackball arcade games. Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Colonization, Shufflepuck Café, Missile Command etc etc, the list goes on... Not to mention ScummVM, Monkey Island et all with touchscreen, and all the homebrew it could deliver, Sudoku, Tilematch and some totally new concepts to make the most of the control system. It could also make some PDA like features more intuitive.

Just disappointed that the processors aren't seeing a speed boost and that there's no heavier duty rechargeable battery pack in there, but you can't have it all. Let's hope they've remembered a little cubby hole for the stylus to live in - and fingers crossed for the joypad...!

®

slaanesh said:
With the PSP Slim soon coming, I'll have no doubt in my mind that I'll get that one too. Perhaps it will have a better screen? That would be awesome! :)
It should have a far better screen from what I read (less remanence, much sharper, and so on). Plus improved battery life and extended RAM should make this baby the perfect homebrew handheld and thus a 'gp3x' killer ;) apart the fact that it is not open source of course <_<

I'm unconvinced. touch screen in a revision? they must have just run out of non touch screens.

now we are going to get software that relies on the touch that locks out previous revisions.

lets hope there is a reliable way to detect that its a mk3.

I dont like such radical changes in a 'reivision' :/ but whatever. Anyone know if they sprung the battery compartment or its still the same piece of crap battery holder?

Back