GP32 New Ideas (linux + Efl)

unit3

Website
demoni.ca
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if there's anyone around working on the Linux port that can spend some time to chat with me about the current state of things. I know I should really be putting more work into my lib right now, but I've been distracted by the [http://enlightenment.org/pages/systems.html Enlightenment Foundation Libraries]. I think that having these run on the Linux port would be a fairly worthwhile endeavour, as they'd give us a really solid, tested set of APIs to work with.

In any case, at this point I'm mostly just curious as to what's working with the port, if we have a Linux framebuffer console or DirectFB that we can draw to, etc. I haven't been paying much attention in the past, so please bear with me. ;)

Surprise! Yes he will get an answer. Please don't try to "moderate" dev boards, we have our own way to handle things, thanks. ;)

@unit3: I'm not working on the linux port but I know quite a few things about it. The "standard" distro (from www.gp32linux.com) is using nano-x, some kind of X for embedded devices. You can find the API here:

http://embedded.centurysoftware.com/docs/n...-nanox-api.html

I don't know about the kernel image (and patches and functions) this distro uses, but the framebuffer should also work.
BTW: I was talking to paranoidd the other day who succeeded in porting 2.6.10 to GP32, and it's supposed to run a lot faster on embedded devices. Maybe this'll render the whole thing a bit more responsive. ;)

HTH.

don posted on Feb 20 2005 at 04:58 AM said:
Surprise! Yes he will get an answer.

Hooray! :)

I don't know about the kernel image (and patches and functions) this distro uses, but the framebuffer should also work.

That's what I'm hoping, I figured that they must have a framebuffer driver to run nano-X on top of.

BTW: I was talking to paranoidd the other day who succeeded in porting 2.6.10 to GP32, and it's supposed to run a lot faster on embedded devices. Maybe this'll render the whole thing a bit more responsive. ;)

That'd be nice. My big concern with the newest kernels would simply be memory consumption, but I've seen that you can cut quite a bit of the "core" functionality out of the Linux kernel if you're building for an embedded system, so maybe it won't be so bad.

I should check the latest kernel trees for arm on my gentoo box, and see if maybe someone's encorporated some GP32 patches into it already. That'd certainly make things easier, since then I could use my regular Gentoo tools to build the GP32 kernel.

Last edited by a moderator:
don posted on Feb 20 2005 at 10:58 AM said:
Really?

Is there any mean to chat with him?
Does he plan to release smth?

2.6 kernels would solve lots of problems we have now with GPLinux...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back