[new] Mario Bros, For Ds Video.

RoboJoe32

http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/1d5e6...83012a18cf7.mov

it looks pretty good, but I worry about a few things....

1: 3D characters on 2D backgrounds never looked that great to me, 2D on 3D looked nice though.
2: I worry about what sort of gimmick they will add, because I -know- they have to "innovate" the game somehow.
3: What's with the fighting between mario and luigi?

My goodness, I'm not worried at all! That looks beautiful!

Put my name down for a couple!!!!

that looks pretty decent, and if i would have to guess, it's not Mario and Luigi fighting, its 2p coop play!!! hopefully internet play!

EDIT: as for the huge mario, i hope they do it like Bonks Adventure for the TG-16, just in moderation as a powerup and it doesn't last too long.

Yes, it has co-op.

They could have gone with 2D just as easily, though. Take a look at Mario & Luigi 2 to see how nice it can look. Still, Mario Bros. looks great too apart from some 'familiar' levels that I could swear were in SMW.

It's a pity that the game doesn't use touch screen or dual screens properly either. Not because they should add it for the sake of it, but it's making that expensive touch screen look pointless :)

I played this one for a bit and so far I love it :D Graphically it works fine... the 3d characters tend to look 2d and dont look too out of place. Controls are Mario perfection. The Mario and Luigi racing is very fun... you're just racing to the finish line and collecting coins and such as well as being able to beat up on each other in various ways.

I do agree that the HUGE Mario powerup seems very out of place and just too much of a gimmick... if I could I'd take that out... otherwise it's classic 2d mario gameplay with a lot of new stuff like swinging on ropes/vines and totally different swimming.

This is definately on my list of must-get DS games and I can't wait til it releases! My only fear is that it will be too short/easy.

no idea what the story line is. The 2 player mode I played was competitive, a race thru one sorta shortish level. I dunno if there will be co-op or not *shrug*.

Why is everything in a game or console you don't like by nintendo a gimmick.
None of you call parts of other games gimmicks if you disagree with them.

Apeiron posted on May 21 2005 at 11:36 AM said:

While I agree that people really seem to want to hate Nintendo now, and it's fasionable to say that everything they do is a gimmick...

That huge Mario still looks like a gimmick. That said, if it's used in very modestly then it could be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why nintendo is so unpopular right now, I mean admittedly the cube could have done a lot better but overal its a cracking console with some awesome games...

MAybe people are just scared of the "kiddy" image they have, not me though! (Anyway, I'd hardley call resident evil 4 or perfect dark "kiddy")

You can buy a cube for about £35!!!!

I will be buying another one this summer, (sold my old one in a fit of madness a while ago!!!). There are so many great games to play on it, and Zelda's on it's way....

Apeiron posted on May 21 2005 at 10:36 AM said:

:blink: wanna bet???

Case in point: Bullet time (a.k.a. slow motion). The first game I played to have this feature was Max Payne on the PC. After that, I saw sooooo many games come out with some kind of slow motion feature, and around that time you would have heard or read me uttering the word "gimmick" quite a lot.

I call the power up that makes you huge in the new Super Mario Bros. a gimmick because it does not seem to serve any gameplay purpose... rather, it seems very much like just some kind of show off to say "look how big we can make the character!!". And Mark... from the level I played it does seem to pop up more often than is probably necessary. Anyways, I'm not using the word as some sort of insult... don't get all worked up by it. What does the word gimmick mean anyways?

From the dictionary:
gimmick
1 a : a mechanical device for secretly and dishonestly controlling gambling apparatus b : an ingenious or novel mechanical device :
2 a : an important feature that is not immediately apparent : b : an ingenious and usually new scheme or angle

The new angle being "this is what the DS can do... mario friggin 4 stories high".

Damn I sure am talking smack about Nintendo huh.... :rolleyes: I'm not fashionably hating Nintendo... DUH... I've only said several times that they had the most games I wanted to play at this years E3, and how in my oppinion they had the best stuff at the show this year... yeah I'm hating on them.

Concept - Nintendo aren't 'unpopular'... again, they had the MOST packed area at E3 this year, as well, their games had the longest lines of people waiting to play them, even more than the people in line to try the Xbox 360 games. Nintendo are still the mass market, non-hardcore gamer favorite (not saying hardcore gamers don't like them too), as evidenced by the fantastic DS sales, many buyers who are not 'gamers'. Gamecube did poorly because of the poor 3rd party support, and yes, because people tend to think it is a kids system. But, it's mostly the lack of 3rd party support... if Gamecube had as many games to choose from as PS2, you can bet it'd probably have sold as well as the PS2!

bast525 posted on May 21 2005 at 04:08 PM said:
And Mark... from the level I played it does seem to pop up more often than is probably necessary. Anyways, I'm not using the word as some sort of insult... don't get all worked up by it. What does the word gimmick mean anyways?

From the dictionary:
gimmick
1 a : a mechanical device for secretly and dishonestly controlling gambling apparatus b : an ingenious or novel mechanical device :
2 a : an important feature that is not immediately apparent : b : an ingenious and usually new scheme or angle

The new angle being "this is what the DS can do... mario friggin 4 stories high".

Damn I sure am talking smack about Nintendo huh.... :rolleyes: I'm not fashionably hating Nintendo... DUH... I've only said several times that they had the most games I wanted to play at this years E3, and how in my oppinion they had the best stuff at the show this year... yeah I'm hating on them.

Not sure if this is directed at me, but my comments weren't directed at you.

Nintendo is commonly disliked these days (I think they are overly defended myself though.), because they scream from the rooftops about gameplay over graphics and processing power, but when people mention they preferred mario 64 to mario sunshine, or the old mario bros/world style of platforming, or actually -wanted- a new earthbound game, they seem to ignore the question entirely.

Same with online play or any form of multiplay besides having a controller and a friend, (the mario kart double dash "Lan" was a -joke-) Nintendo are horrified of the internet it seems, and I'm doubting their claims with DS or revoloution about online play focus, seriously.

People dislike nintendo not because of a "kiddy" image, it's because they are shooting theirselves in the feet with full auto uzis, and not letting up on that trigger. We wanted a mario 64 sequel, we got sunshine, we wanted a new zelda, we got wind waker, (And now, link's a furry and is teamed up with some big headed statue creature thing.... <_<) We wanted new kirby games, we got a crappy racer, and "Canvas curse"(which is more of a mini-game than anything i'd pay for.)

It's like they are bizarro world nintendo, takeing what we wish for and giving us the horrific opposite, like sticking the disfigured corpses of characters we once knew and loved on pikes with advertisements for new pokmeon games sewn into their flesh for all to see.

Nintendo is so afraid to stick to it's winning formulas or continue it's best games and series it's driving itself into mediocority, nintendo is also makeing theirselves look a bit.....well, pathetic? with things like mario/metroid pinball, mario DDR, mario soccer, mario goes shopping... etc..

And the DS has been -completely- lackluster so far, not even just hardware wise but game wise. "6 months, what's there to play?" Same with gamecube. I can only name 6 or so games, and about 4 of those are first party.

And as far as perfect dark and RE4 goes, Give me A new fallout On PC, orstill life anyday of the week. Gore and "mature setting" does not a mature game make.

RoboJoe32 posted on May 22 2005 at 06:37 PM said:
People dislike nintendo not because of a "kiddy" image, it's because they are shooting theirselves in the feet with full auto uzis, and not letting up on that trigger. We wanted a mario 64 sequel, we got sunshine, we wanted a new zelda, we got wind waker, (And now, link's a furry and is teamed up with some big headed statue creature thing.... <_<) We wanted new kirby games, we got a crappy racer, and "Canvas curse"(which is more of a mini-game than anything i'd pay for.)

well done for falling into a nice little stereotype there

Wind Waker is one of the most perfect games I have ever played

I enjoyed it emmensly and it was more liek the original Zeldas than OoT and MM were

Cursed Cavas is a beutiful little game, if you even took the time to play the bloody thing you'd see that

the whole "Anti-Nintendo" thing coems from people like you who dont even play the games, they just see the graphics or the lame "gimmick" and decide not to play it

how many people shunned Viewtiful Joe because it was childish

these same people buy FIFA buy the shedloads and neglect Pro Evo completely

They buy Lame Platformer No. 33 over God of War or Prince of Persia, because it had good adverts

im trying hard not to be a Ninty fanboy, tbh at the moment a lot of the best new console games out are on the PS2 and Xbox (Forza, God of War)

at the same time the DS games have played are probably the best handheld games I've ever played (PacPix, Kirby, ElektroPlankton)

Yeah, Wind Waker is fantastic. I think the Gamecube will have the best pairing of Zelda games; they will provide a simular contrast to the light-heartedness of OOT and the deeply dark Majora's Mask but on a MUCH larger scale.

And I absolutely adore Canvas Curse. One of the best DS games so far, and it's a lovely diversion from the standard mechanics of 2D platformers.

EDIT: Can't agree about Pac-Pix though. Had it since the Jap launch, and the novelty rubs off quickly.

well done for falling into a nice little stereotype there

You too, mate.

Wind Waker is one of the most perfect games I have ever played

I enjoyed it emmensly and it was more liek the original Zeldas than OoT and MM were

But the thing is, people say "OOT and MM looked that way because the nintendo 64 couldn't do a different style" Which is a damn lie if you look at the varied art styles of several other N64 games. I enjoyed zelda 1 and 2 for NES, was bored to tears with LTTP, and liked the gameboy zeldas. But however this is a clashing of opinions, I can sit here all day and say that wind waker was a sub-par game in a shiny wrapper and you can spend all day pointing out the genius in it, this will go nowhere.

Cursed Cavas is a beutiful little game, if you even took the time to play the bloody thing you'd see that.

Played it, thought it was more of a mini-game that belonged in a level of a true kirby game as a whole. sure it might be good to you, but wouldn't a classic kirby with faster action, more powers, more power "moves", and better enemy fights be better? If the future of handheld gaming is drawing lines and blowing into a microphone, I'll live in the past, thanks.

the whole "Anti-Nintendo" thing coems from people like you who dont even play the games, they just see the graphics or the lame "gimmick" and decide not to play it

I play the games, and then see through nintendo's shiny packageing to see that IT IS a gimmick, Same with the people who actually take time to play the games and criticize them constructively instead of the train of thought "If people don't like nintendo they don't like videogames."

how many people shunned Viewtiful Joe because it was childish.

I'm not getting how viewtiful joe was childish really, I liked it. But as a counter hit, what about all of the people who thought psychonauts was childish? Nintendo isn't the only victim of this.

these same people buy FIFA buy the shedloads and neglect Pro Evo completely

They buy Lame Platformer No. 33 over God of War or Prince of Persia, because it had good adverts

Kind of bad examples, since what platformer would you buy over the two? Which were advertised and endorsed heavily. God of war was amazingly fun, but overrated like halo and the lot, same with prince of persia (Prince of persia's combat was a bit irritateing though, and the last fight was anti climatic.) As a bit of opinion reply and conflict, why do people buy things like god of war and spyro over Psychonauts?

im trying hard not to be a Ninty fanboy, tbh at the moment a lot of the best new console games out are on the PS2 and Xbox (Forza, God of War)

at the same time the DS games have played are probably the best handheld games I've ever played (PacPix, Kirby, ElektroPlankton)

I've yet to play any handheld games (excludeing GP32 emu'd games) that I get a true sense of enjoyment out of, not since the wario land series, and neo geo pocket fighters. So I can't really combat opinion. But ElektroPlankton isn't really a game as much as it is a music toy :p I'm not interested in the DS because it has practically no games in the genres I like, RPGs, fighting games, shooters (sidescrolling and topdown) etc... If it had a good lineup like this, i'd buy in it a heartbeat, but for now i'm not going to be content with just warioware and mario64.

All in all, The main complaints with nintendo are lack of customer base communication, the self praiseing of innovation and gameplay while watering down franchises, limited DS lineup. and bad online policy.

Mark posted on May 22 2005 at 05:52 PM said:
Not sure if this is directed at me, but my comments weren't directed at you.

Mark - No only the part about the super size power up appearing a bit too often was directed at you, responding to your comment about it being used moderately... sorry upon reading my post again I can see why that might have been confusing :) the majority of what you quoted from my post was aimed at Apeiron's comment.

I still say Nintendo have retained mass market appeal, for those people that are not 'hardcore gamers' but rather, are very casual gamers. Lots of people who have bought DS's fit into that category. And lackluster as the DS's library has been thus far, there's no denying that the system itself has sold very well, much better thatn *I* expected that's for sure. Again... the biggest proof for me of Nintendo's continued popularity and appeal is the huge crowds and lines they draw at every years E3, compared to the other companies' areas.

And the DS's library isn't gonna stay so lackluster for very long :D

Back