new open-pandora.com page looks early 2000s

Are you sure you have the domain name right?

All I get is black text on a white background saying:

This page is under construction. Please come back soon!

I assume the URL is right and the site was online in between, but now is offline again due to modification going on.

the site is up for me

86pGh.png

It's still .org not .com like the headline insists...

the .org sure it goes to a page the .com goes to nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellento.

Add wifi and touch screen to that image.

Maybe let a second video start after the first one showing the Linux , Firefox, Abiword, Facebook site of the pandora? I think a lot of people will buy it for the software and keyboard. A girl I know just stays at blackberry because they have slider keyboards.

Maybe let a second video start after the first one showing the Linux , Firefox, Abiword, Facebook site of the pandora? I think a lot of people will buy it for the software and keyboard. A girl I know just stays at blackberry because they have slider keyboards.

The video isn't finished yet, it will have a little desktop action, but not so much as to scare away gamers. It's a very fine balance 'can also do what your smart phone does' is what I'm going for... but mostly it's the most incredible games/emulator machine + controls you have ever seen.

^ doesn't that completely miss-out the 'pocket-sized netbook' aspect?

pandora!=smartphone+emulator_system

pandora>=emulator_system+miniature_netbook+(smartphone/2)

This is important to geeky tech consumers, as well as (more than) a few members of these forums.

Remember all the people who bought Raspberry Pis? A good number of them thought that a tiny, hackable, fully functional PC (web browsers, word processors and stuff) was a good idea.

"does what your smartphone does, but fits in your pocket" --> lame marketing

"does what your laptop does, but fits in your pocket" --> grabs customer attention

(of course the above are in addition to the emulator focus)

The desktop angle should probably focus on big OSS names - firefox, openoffice, vlc etc - a few icons would probably do the trick

Also, the screencaps using default xfce look a bit boring - freamon's openbox+warlockbar+tint2panel looks snazzier and runs faster

Absolutely agree.

"does what your laptop does, but fits in your pocket" +1

Btw my RasPi came yesterday (finally)... I'm seriously thinking about buying empty case of Pandora (+lcd?) at DragonBox Shop so that it mimic ("emulates") Pandora...

Anyway, it is as great as you said: "tiny, hackable, fully functional PC".

The desktop angle should probably focus on big OSS names - firefox, openoffice, vlc etc - a few icons would probably do the trick

Also, the screencaps using default xfce look a bit boring - freamon's openbox+warlockbar+tint2panel looks snazzier and runs faster

IMHO 30 years old (but valid) trick should be used: piece of text processor (AbiWord), piece of spreedsheet (some Calc/Gnumeric), piece of colorful statistic pie, and some "optimistic graph"... it is very well known archetype.

And how about quick slideshow of possbile OSes? e. g. flavours of Linux (Arch/Deb/Slack), Android... but also emulated & exotic (Panorama, Mac, ReactOS, HaikuOS, Aros, Beos, RiscOS... )

It does not bring in many customers from my past experience. I know you might think it would, but there just isn't a big market for it.

The games + real controls and keyboard element is much better for sales.

People just say 'I can run xxx on my phone' when it comes to apps.

There is no advantage for them to get the Pandora for firefox etc. they are happy to use it on their touch screen phone.

But show them the games with real controls, especially PC and Amiga emulation, and they are sold.

But show them the games with real controls, especially PC and Amiga emulation, and they are sold.
Amen bruvva!!

The Pandora with it's gaming controls and the ability to play amiga games through emulation with a seperate fire and jump button was one of the main contributing factors that led me to pay for one.

I enjoyed amiga on my Wiz but the strange charging port was annoying and the buttons were a little too soft for my liking.

It does not bring in many customers from my past experience. I know you might think it would, but there just isn't a big market for it.

There is no advantage for them to get the Pandora for firefox etc. they are happy to use it on their touch screen phone.

Showing them QEMU and old DOS and Windows 95/98 classics like Diablo, Sim City 2000, Dungeon Keeper etc... would be great to impress people. ^^

Agree with that, but one does not exclude another.

After all, phones are evolving to phablets, some with stylus (e.g. Samsung Galaxy Notes, absolute hit); obviously there is a need for bigger screen and better user interface then monolithic touchscreen, and better battery. And we are not talking about business devices like Chromebooks or Transformers...

Craig, you forgot that main difference between consoles/handhelds and PCs: consoles are closed. Customers want it like that. As small, simple & cheap as possible... But Pandora is open: multi-purpose unit and this is high advantage (so it is price).

Back