New Pandora

paulguy said:
I have networkmanager disabled. I removed it's startup script, so it's not related to that. It's completely hardware. :(

How would i do that, Paulguy?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I got my wireless working with a Linksys AE1000 I picked up from breast buy.

I cross-compiled the kernel following urjaman's instructions on the kernel building thread (also enabled Tickless System and Preemptible Kernel). All that worked well and successfully installed and booted.

I then cross-compiled the driver following these instructions: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1353558

Only modification was that in Makefile, I set LINUX_SRC to the source directory where I compiled the kernel and CROSS_COMPILE to arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

It all compiled fine and I copied the .ko and firmware in to the proper directories as per the instructions, plugged it in, started NetworkManager and it was working. Left it online overnight with IRC and IM up and it stayed up. I even watched some Simpsons over the network with a CIFS mount and it played full speed after I added -cache 8192 to the mplayer line. (640x480 MPEG4 divx video, some kind of stereo mp3 audio). I was even able to use IM and IRC at the same time as watching the video.

So, luckily this story has a happy ending.

Well, I would provide a how to, but that wifi adapter has died already. There was nothing special about what I did, though. Pretty basic cross compiling stuff that's probably already on the wiki somewhere.

I'm stuck tethering my iphone to the pandora using iproxy/ssh/proxychains to get webs on it. I might mess with ipheth later on and see what I get, then maybe write a guide for that.

EDIT: OK, I got ipheth and 3G tethering to work, but it will only work over 3G, so you'll still need to use ssh tunnel to access the LAN or your home network.

I also did this with Debian, which has packages for pretty much all the stuff you need, so an angstrom guide would be a bit more complicated (though not too bad). You'd basically do what you'd do on a PC, which there are guides for already.

The tricky part was getting the Tether APN on my phone but that's a bit off topic.

Yeah, you need to be very careful when buying wifi sticks. A lot of them, especially cheaper ones, WILL NOT work. And you won't be able to use ndiswrapper, either.

paulguy said:
Yeah, you need to be very careful when buying wifi sticks. A lot of them, especially cheaper ones, WILL NOT work. And you won't be able to use ndiswrapper, either.

oddly i'm back on the case of the internal wifi after finding my netgear wnr2000 not working but my ancient compaq cp2w works a treat albeit quite slowly (50 odd k/sec when grabbing the office compatability pack from MS)

@Pleng - Thanks for your tips on controlling wifi from Terminal.. can get a semi-stable connection from my router doing that now ~ 1.1 mbit max download running a mobile broadband speedtest, though i doubt its accuracy overall, the connection i get isn't at all too slow, when it actually works.

Cant get the pandora to connect to the router at work though, nor my grandparents, nor my second router.. but hey at least ive got something working.

mosschops said:
I've since bought a usb - wired ethernet dongle thing that also has 4 USB ports on it. It can either draw power from the Pandora or it comes with a power supply. I've had it hooked up and pulling files down to the Pandora at 2MB/sec, it is however wired.
Can you supply a mfg name or a link to this magical wired ethernet with built in USB hub? I'm inclined to buy one. If you have one that is 'known to work', it could short-cut my process.

mosschops said:
So i'm going to try a couple of nano adaptors and see what the score is on those. probably these..
edited link - worlds smallest usb wifi
the cheapest mini usb on amazon

Another option to be on the market soon?
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/10/buffalo-launches-trio-of-affordable-wireless-n-devices-able-to-g/
That 802.11N USB dongle looks really small... I wonder if the chipset and the Pandora will work happily together.
http://www.engadget.com/photos/buffalo-wireless-n-devices/#3248379

sorry for the delay. wasn't watching this thread, though i have posted this link in another thread somewhere.

edimax thing

i cant find the other post i made, but this hub with a usb to psp/mini usb can also charge my pandora when plugged in

Back