New Pandora!

c0rsana

Still Fresh
Ok, just got my Pandora in the mail. Let's compile a list of the things one should do first when receiving a Pandora! Hopefully this can be helpful for other people as well! :D

1. charge your pandora for 8 hours before use

2. rub your stylus on paper to remove the excess paint on tip

3. use an overused old internet southpark meme

4. ???

5. Profit!

Alright, may seem like a stupid question but... How do I open .pnd files? I've tried right click>execute, I've tried running the "Run PND Application" in the System menu (Which seems to do nothing). What am I doing wrong? Is there something I missed? >.>

You need to put them in a particular place. ;)

In the root (main folder/part) of your SD Card, you need to create a directory called pandora and inside that directory four more, named desktop (which will make the PNDs appear on the desktop if you're using Xfce, from where you can start them by double-clicking them), menu (this causes PNDs to appear in the menu in Xfce, where you can simply click them to run them), mmenu (note the extra "m" - if you use Minimenu, my understanding is that this will cause PNDs to appear only there), and appdata (this is where various bits of save-data from PND programs goes, and sometimes you might have to drop data files in here).

I don't *think* you can run them from the file-manager at this time, but I may be mistaken. (If you can't, I'm pretty sure there's a tweak that can be done for it, though.)

EDIT: Ninja'd. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, may seem like a stupid question but... How do I open .pnd files? I've tried right click>execute, I've tried running the "Run PND Application" in the System menu (Which seems to do nothing). What am I doing wrong? Is there something I missed? >.>
Howto

I would advise you to download Tempel's PNDstore and put that in pandora/menu, pandora/apps or pandora/desktop. If your Pandora has internet access then this application will allow you to easily install and upgrade applications.

I don't *think* you can run them from the file-manager at this time, but I may be mistaken. (If you can't, I'm pretty sure there's a tweak that can be done for it, though.)
I though they were supposed to be associated with pnd_run such that you could indeed launch them from the file-manager, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

[edit]Whoops, almost forgot. Welcome to the community c0rsana. I hope you will enjoy your Pandora.[/edit]

Nevermind! did a bunch of digging and found that one thing about how naming folders is a little important >.<

yes, capitalization is important in linux /desktop is not the same as /Desktop, and im surprised i didnt advise the vid-a-day in my first post in this thread, but just go through the vid-a-day sticky in the general talk for basic(some outdated) info. and thank you for asking nicely, and not bashing os devs because it doesnt work the windows way

I though they were supposed to be associated with pnd_run such that you could indeed launch them from the file-manager, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Not by default, but you can set up the association via PND_utils.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=PND_utils

- Neelix

My first bit of advice (aside from asking in here for advice) is to ignore the official app-store; it's full of outdated/broken apps.

Use Milkshake's repo as your first stop for PNDs: http://repo.openpandora.org/

And as a last resort, use OpenHandhelds: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi

Get the PNDStore application if you're wanting to download/update PNDs on your pandora natively - Wifi permitting.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, you will find that a lot of apps/games/emulators have issues. Most will have control/comptaibility/usability problems (nubs not working, keyboard used unnecessarily, no decent screen scaling, enforced touchscreen usage etc) that are more often than not the result of "drive-by porting" where the goal was simply to get the software running. Before shouting on the forums about these things and how they're crap and make you want to sell your Pandora, then get in touch with the developers and see if they might be willing to put a little more effort into their code. For all that the Pandora has been "in production" for the last two years (and more), we're only now just starting to see people developing for it in anger. Give it time!

D.

I found Frogatto the other day and I can't seem to stop playing it...

eerie_arbor.png

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=frogatto

Back