"hacker" Pandora Version

Interested in receiving an early unit?

• Yes, even if I have to struggle to turn it on.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, if it at least loads a terminal.

• No, I prefer to wait a finished unit.

• Total voters

kattle87

Provided that the Pandora will work just with DC adaptor inserted even if it has no battery, I am really interested in receiving one "hacker's" Pandora, no problems for paying postage for the battery later on.

I must admit I'm not a kernel hacker nor something similar. The most I've done is INTENSIVE testing on applications :), with bug reporting. (EG: I can't resist from installing a program that is in beta testing, be it Gimp, KDE 4, or Tremulous :p)

I am quite proficient in C++ and I know a little about Delphi, but nothing fancy here.

Other interested people might reply to this topic, so we get some kind of list.
Everyone should vote the pool, so we understand how many people want the Pandora even if it is currently a BeagleBoard with a screen :p

To clarify, It will be a complete Pandora just without the battery, so beagle with screen is not very accurate ;) I studied electrical engineering for a while, but I'm not very educated in linux. I tinkered with linux on my N800, so at least I'm not completely clueless. I'm used to take the autodidact approach on solving problems.

Did you say Tremulous? wow, nice to hear people still talking about that game :)
Actually.... Trem works in Linux doesn't it... ooh ooh I just had an idea... must go find Timbo.

Eniko said:
This poll's results quite nicely illustrate my worries about this hacker edition Pandora.

Ditto. I'm also looking at developing a game, but at the moment there's no reason why SDL on a linux box shouldn't work just fine for development at the moment.

I'm also uncertain what the difference between option 2 and 3 is. If it can load a shell, it's as complete as if it can run GMenu. We always new the system would be "software incomplete" on launch.

I believe the "hacker" version is a distraction and will delay systems for everyone else. At best they should be sent to the current devs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trevor Bradley said:
This poll's results quite nicely illustrate my worries about this hacker edition Pandora.

Eniko said:
I believe the "hacker" version is a distraction and will delay systems for everyone else. At best they should be sent to the current devs.

Yea... as much as I want to have the Pandora in my hands and I couldn't care less wether it has a battery or not at the beginning... I think you are right and they'd be better sent to more pandora developers, that are already working on important stuff. That way it wont become a new reason for arguing and complaining, and it will probably speed things up in the medium term.

I wish it was only sent out early to developers, since it seems like those who are "hackers" would then be receiving their units early and makes it feel like there is no concern for who ordered when (though I've seen nothing solid to back that idea) which I was informed was going to be the determining factor in deciding who gets their unit when.

Still, I guess they are at least paying a bit more (essentially) so they can cut in line.

I'm not sure what the big deal is about "regular people" wanting these. Everything's got to be sent eventually, why not sooner rather than later?

If I lived in the UK and didn't have to pay for international shipping once the battery came I'd be all in. But there's only so much money I can put into this thing :p

This poll serves no purpose. If any early units get sent out sans-battery, they will go to software developers chosen by Craig.

Chip said:
This poll serves no purpose. If any early units get sent out sans-battery, they will go to software developers chosen by Craig.
That's good to hear. I wouldn't want my Pandora without a battery. It's like having a new toy on Christmas and not being able to play with it until New Years.

Chip said:
Sorry but I do think it was not clearly stated. :p It seemed to be this was some kind of "open Beta", really.

However the original idea about this tread was to get a list of interested testers/developers, as we got a list for the Dev boards.

My first thought was, that they just want to get the devices out as fast as possible, because there are nearly 4000! devices to be delivered. It's very legitimate to ask, if someone is willing to take a "hacker"(what a word in this context :lol: ) version with one missing part, knowing that this community surely has a greater "hacker"-density than the everage population. Chip canceled this thought, so I'm out of this discussion for now ;)

I would take a device without battery, early adopting is awesome! Of course, my order should be low priority compared to developers. :)

If it is 100% finished apart from software that can easily be updated via SD card etc then no reason not to get the Pandora early.

Also the battery must be very easy to add (no soldering just slot in place).

If these conditions are met then why not get it early!

Lets remove the pointless comparisons with other products before this carries on forever.

*zap*

Gone :)

Now, back to topic or else I'll be forced to set Chip on the lot of you!

Back