Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It would be nice to have

• Nah... Don''t need one

• Total voters

'Gruso' said:
'Raz' said:
Well, I guess we can't have it all. Maybe somebody will come up with a Sony-style wireless controller someday
Since you don't seem to believe me...
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43880
srry about that, forgot about it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Pandora already is a dual analog controller, and since generic USB controllers already tend to have the general Dual Shock style layout, I'm backing the idea of getting the Wii Remote drivers working. For some bizarre reason, right now I'm relishing the idea of duct taping a remote to the Pandora so I can play tilty games on it. :D

'EdCa22' said:
I'd quite like to see the reverse; a driver that lets you use either the USB OTG in slave mode or bluetooth to make the pandora act as a USB/Bluetooth HID with keyboard, joypad and the touchscreen as a large track pad for your PC. This is perfectly feasible, but AFAIK there are no drivers with this functionality yet.
I've done something similar before between two linux computers over wifi, with a wacom tablet. It's just a pipe, since devices are files.

You would probably need some sort of driver to make a windows machine use the input it gets over wifi/bluetooth, though.

'sindbad' said:
'EdCa22' said:
I'd quite like to see the reverse; a driver that lets you use either the USB OTG in slave mode or bluetooth to make the pandora act as a USB/Bluetooth HID with keyboard, joypad and the touchscreen as a large track pad for your PC. This is perfectly feasible, but AFAIK there are no drivers with this functionality yet.
I've done something similar before between two linux computers over wifi, with a wacom tablet. It's just a pipe, since devices are files.

You would probably need some sort of driver to make a windows machine use the input it gets over wifi/bluetooth, though.
What exactly were you piping to make that work?

'lulzfish' said:
'sindbad' said:
'EdCa22' said:

What exactly were you piping to make that work?

/dev/ttyS0 from the client to /dev/ttyS0 on the host. Over an ssh tunnel.

I know I've mentioned this in at least one other thread, but Xbox 360 controllers, wireless or wired, should work out of the box. The only thing that is necessary is the xpad driver. Here is a link that shows the xpad driver living in the openpandora git tree:

CODE
http://git.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=pandora-kernel.git;a=tree;f=drivers/input/joystick;h=32c21f0e23f7c73f336b4b5340f066b5f22b1265;hb=HEAD

I have played with mine a little bit on a linux box, and it works pretty much the same as any other usb gamepad.

Edit: link fix

'EdCa22' said:
Love this idea. Needs to happen.

I like the 360 pad. It has a more ergonomic feel in your hand, moved the left analog stick up and has some ok R-L triggers. Haven't tried the PS3 one much, but it felt basically like the PS2 one, which isn't necessarily bad, but it feels a bit hard and old, plus the L-R triggers were quite slippy and hard to hold for longer time, they're sorta bent the wrong way.

seriously, add a USB controller option. a lot of us aren't proprietary hardware junkies, this is a FOSS Linux device :)

wireless USB gamepads FTW! all the ones i've ever seen just work out the box with linux, mac too ;)

'cools' said:
'EdCa22' said:
Love this idea. Needs to happen.

+1. great idea.

'Gruso' said:
Have you seen this?
CODE
http://archive.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,115,4
;-)
This was built on an ARM build of Fedora, I make no guarantees it will work. Once I have a working unit in my hand, I'll make absolutely sure it does, and write a How-To from beginning to finish on how to get the SIXAXIS / DualShock III working with the Pandora.

Edit: The PS3 controller works on any recent kernel out of the box, wired. Wireless, is what the above mentioned utility is for.

I actually had the Idea of a small, portable (as in: fits in the same pocket) Pandora-Gamepad that would double as a usb hub.
Basically a Pandora without Keyboard/Lid and the Mainboard replaced with a simple usb Gamepad and usb Hub Chip.
I would not be as ergonomical as a "normal" gamepad, but the idea is to allways carry it with you for the situations were you suddenly need a USB Hub / Gamepad for second Player.
I also posted a crappy Picture back in the days where I still thought I get mine by Christmas :p :
CODE
http://forum.openpandora.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=524

I'd like to use the original controllers to emulate consoles and computers as spot on as possible (with TV-out of course) and I'd like to be able to use a Wii controller because it's something different and it would be interesting and as a way to play the touch screen games whilst using the TV-out etc.
I really don't see much point in using an Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 controller myself as they won't be emulated on the Pandora. I'd rather just buy a better wireless PC joypad/stick and save myself a lot of messing about.

I'd be more interested in using the Pandora as an input device for my PC as well. The devs have spent a lot of time making sure that the gaming controls will be comfortable to use, so why the hell not? :)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
I'd like to use the original controllers to emulate consoles and computers as spot on as possible (with TV-out of course) and I'd like to be able to use a Wii controller because it's something different and it would be interesting and as a way to play the touch screen games whilst using the TV-out etc.
Anything with USB ought to work nicely. The Wiimote is Bluetooth and anything Linux with Bluetooth can actually use it as a controller right now. It just needs to have the implementation happen on the firmware either pre/post-release.

I really don't see much point in using an Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 controller myself as they won't be emulated on the Pandora. I'd rather just buy a better wireless PC joypad/stick and save myself a lot of messing about.

The DualShock3 would be a bit nice in the same vein as the Wiimote in my opinion. I don't see much of any user of putting a 360 controller on a Linux device- odds are one or the other would just simply implode and cause a four-fold interdimensional cross-rip... ;)

I'd be more interested in using the Pandora as an input device for my PC as well. The devs have spent a lot of time making sure that the gaming controls will be comfortable to use, so why the hell not? :)

Hm... Tougher request. You'd have to add some sort of driver framework to present the UI stuff as an USB HID device for that purpose. Very doable. Just unpleasant until someone breaks down and does the actual work to link the Pandora's input that way to the world.

Well, the easy way would allways be just to write a small programm that sends the input commads over any networrk link to a daemon running on the target pc...

I would use my 360 controller, it's the only pad I have (it's a USB one) and I can really see myself using two of them and the TV-out for multiplayer.

I won't be in a big hurry to use external controllers, because so much attention has been give to Pandora's controls. If only companies like MS had as much regard for gaming controls (I just spent $100 on a Hori 360 controller, just so I could have a d-pad. <_<).

But in the event that I do want to plug something in, I've already got what I need. A SNES pad, Genesis pad, and Sega Arcade Stick, all USB modified and ready to go. :D

'Gruso' said:
I won't be in a big hurry to use external controllers, because so much attention has been give to Pandora's controls. If only companies like MS had as much regard for gaming controls (I just spent $100 on a Hori 360 controller, just so I could have a d-pad. <_<).

But in the event that I do want to plug something in, I've already got what I need. A SNES pad, Genesis pad, and Sega Arcade Stick, all USB modified and ready to go. :D
Hey, they put a lot of effort into developing the Duke, and what did they get? A lot of bitching from users complaining it was "too big" when it really isn't. You really think they were going to waste money again just to hear more bitching from users?

I agree that the dpad on the XBox360 is shit, but everything else about the controller is top-notch. Overall the controller is a good controller. And to tell you the truth, the only company that had a good dpad this time around was Nintendo, and that's because they didn't stray from what had served them all these years.

EDIT: Controllers I have lined up: A Duke, 3 Code S controllers, and 2 Sega Saturn USB controllers. Plan to buy some more Dukes, and if Wiimote support gets added, I'll be able to use those as well.

-God Ginrai

'Gruso' said:

Really? I'm quite fond of the 360's controller. I find it to be pretty perfect for every game I've played.

I like everything except the d-pad. I know that it varies between hardware revisions, but the two that I have barely work at all. For example, just using it to bring up the phone in GTA4, I'd have to stab at it several times. Absolutely unforgivable design failure. Trying to use it for retro games from XBLA? No chance, can't even get through a level of DigDug.

But I'm happy to report that the Hori has one of the best d-pads I've ever used.

Back