New Pc

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
Right, I'll be getting a slight upgrade for this p2 350 mhz running win 98 se to a P3 667MHz with between 352 and 384 megs of ram with a 64 meg 3d prophet 4500 gfx card and 512i digital audio card.

Would you guys suggest I stick with windows 98 se on the new comp? Or upgrade to windows xp. Id obviously rather have windows xp, but I duno if that will slow it down a lot or not.

Cheers. gp32_console

windows 2000pro would be perfect for your pc. i mean PERFECT. you should try and get it. it would make the best of your hardware.

XP Should run fine on that, I think the demand is mostly on RAM so, the more the better - it's pretty cheap anyway.

I recently setup a P2/400 for my sister and it runs fine with 192Mb RAM - obviously not the fastest setup, or good for modern games, but it runs ok....

Don't bother with xp on that setup, win2000 will run much better on it. At the end of the day XP is just windows 2000 with lots of added bloatware and a memory hog.

Had XP on my machine for 6 months didn't like it put 2000 back on a year and half later still on the same install having installed and deinstalled a ton of software/hardware and still runs like the day i first installed it :)

Incidently i also run an old p3 450 qith 384meg of ram and that runs smoothly with 2000.
Once loaded uses around 90meg of ram...like to see xp manage that ;) Whihc leaves me more ram free :)

If you'll "buy" it, why not try both? Windows XP does have more hardware compatibility... (And 100% GPDrive compat) :)

Hmm... I encountered that Win2000 is terribly slow, especially on computers slower than 1 GHz...

I'd try WinXP and switch back to Win98 if it's too slow for you...

I'm running XP, fully patched on a P3 450mhz with 128mb ram.

No problems at all.

If you try out Windows XP, MAKE SURE TO RUN IT THROUGH WINDOWS UPDATE.

Out of the box it's one huge bug (Like Windows ME I suppose), but patch it up and everything should be pretty sweet.

Twinbee posted on Apr 28 2004 at 11:23 PM said:
I'm running XP, fully patched on a P3 450mhz with 128mb ram.

No problems at all.

If you try out Windows XP, MAKE SURE TO RUN IT THROUGH WINDOWS UPDATE.

Out of the box it's one huge bug (Like Windows ME I suppose), but patch it up and everything should be pretty sweet.
what are you trying to say? i run windows ME and have never patched, and all i get is trouble, crashes and freezing...oh i get you now....

Last edited by a moderator:
thebluenewt posted on Apr 28 2004 at 02:22 PM said:
I recently went from 2k to xp and it's just not in the same class, I'm almost considering changing my signature...
heh heh heh... :D

btw, DON RUN XP!!!! xp is a bunch of shit packed onto a CD... run Win2k or at least a slimmed down version of XP pro. PS if u get SP4 for win2k, it ups your hardware compatibility so much...

or you could just get a mac :p

rcx21000 posted on Apr 28 2004 at 07:38 PM said:
If you'll "buy" it, why not try both? Windows XP does have more hardware compatibility... (And 100% GPDrive compat) :)
Ah good point, I'll do that.

EvilDragon, could it just have been some imcompatibility with sumthing? <huh> seems strange that it should run so slow :S.

Back