New Port : Egoboo2x

jbrodack: I second the OpenGL ports of kenta cho's shmup works! If someone else doesn't do it, it'll be on my list. I actually play them, so it's a good project for me.

*** KEEP IN MIND ***
As rixed stated, this OpenGL library will need to be adapted to work with OpenGL games. It seems it's lacking some features still, so it's not "plug and play" but is extremely impressive still and worth adapting imho!
My vote goes to getting Secret Maryo Chronicles working better.
"SDL and since Version 0.98 with the OpenGL accelerated Graphics Renderer developed in C++."
Shouldn't rely on OpenGL too much I don't think?

The built in level editor should even be usable from on the 2X itself :)
The perfect game for a handheld IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am quite impressed by this port so far, I only had the opportunity to try it for a few minutes but so far it looked excellent and I did not encounter any serious bugs or glitches that would make it less enjoyable.

Oh, and I am hoping that this port will spark more interest in porting open gl games to the gp2x, more free content is always welcome and appreciated. :p

Strangely Mine only too about 5 minutes to transfer to the card...

Great game, Love the fact that you included the gpu_225 file as the default one was freezing up my gp2x.

Must say, I'm excited about what lies ahead now that someone has unlocked (to a degree) opengl for the gp2x.

Cudos all the way around :)

Still slightly speechless :)

Cannot wait for this library to mature, had great fun playing Egoboo again, I guess the *dark* levels are broken, due to no lighting support, but hell, what a start!

One question, where should we all send our donations? :)

This is fucking awesome. Looks pretty good all things considered, it's good to see games like this running on the 2X. Hopefully it's a sign of great things to come.

I only have one complaint with this port, and that's that it seems like the viewable area of the game is larger than the actual screen is, but only by a little bit. I noticed that the adventurer seems to spawn just to the left of where you can see. Still, awesome.

This is fucking awesome. Looks pretty good all things considered, it's good to see games like this running on the 2X. Hopefully it's a sign of great things to come.

I only have one complaint with this port, and that's that it seems like the viewable area of the game is larger than the actual screen is, but only by a little bit. I noticed that the adventurer seems to spawn just to the left of where you can see. Still, awesome.

Try the camera function :)

You not only saved the day by the gpu940 for my MVS/CPS1/CPS2 project, you also got me compiling psx4all with it for kicks again! :) ...Expect some good help from all around for gpu940! Excellent work!

you mean... psx4gp2x, using 3D-acceleration?? whennn?? WWHHEENN??? :ph34r:

*almost crying*

Ravnos: hold R and move the stick around -- pulling back zooms out, left and right rotate the camera.

slightly off topic: I would really like to see gpu940 used to bring some linux versions of abstract shmups to the gp2x especially kenta cho's rRootage. doesn't even use opengl much so shouldn't be too hard to get to work. linux port of rRootage and other shumps here
It looks like most of Kenta Cho's games are written in the D Programming Language. People have apparently gotten these things to compile for Linux, but has anyone actually managed to get anything written in D to work on the GP2X? No amount of OpenGL would help if there is no D compiler. If no one has tried this yet, then this link may be helpful.

rRootage does not seem to use D though, so you might be in luck with that one.

--Zero

Try the camera function :)
Thanks. :)

Just had a quick blast on this (locked up after a few minutes... [err the gp2x, not me] ) - have no idea what the game's about :) but amazing work on the opengl front!

EDIT: clarify I'm not an inmate of an asylum.

Try to edit "egoboo.gpe" with this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

chmod a+x egoboo load940 stop940
sync
#./cpu_speed.gpe --cpuclk 260
./load940 gpu940_225
sleep 1
./egoboo >/tmp/egoboo.log 2>&1
./stop940
cd /usr/gp2x; ./gp2xmenu