New Port : Egoboo2x

i dont understand how it could take more than 1 min to copy this to SDcard. I just copied the whole archive to gp2x, and unpacked it on the SD the whole process took 30sek ?

btw im bloody impressed by this wohooo rixed you restored my faith in 3d rendering on the 2x

i dont understand how it could take more than 1 min to copy this to SDcard. I just copied the whole archive to gp2x, and unpacked it on the SD the whole process took 30sek ?

it depends on the USB card-reader and the drivers you're using .. some USB card-readers do things 'serially' over only 3 lines, some do it in parallel - its implementation (hardware) specific whether this is done.

a lot of small files, one after the other, can take a lot of time to copy because the driver updates the FAT every time, and if this is being done serially (i.e. not cached) then it will be very, very slow .. but if you're doing it under Linux, the driver caches i/o, and does only one large sync to the filesystem at the end of the copy (close), so things will go a lot faster.

in sort: not everyones' SD driver/io subsystem is the same.. even under Windows, and even then it depends on your card reader. solution: try not to write games that have lots of little files all over the place, but instead pack into a .pak or .zip file and use a smart lib for doing i/o within that .pak/.zip ..

Last edited by a moderator:

btw im bloody impressed by this wohooo rixed you restored my faith in 3d rendering on the 2x
plus they were copying from some drive to SD. I'm not sure exactly why, but windows does it faster if you unzip it directly to the SD card.

plus they were copying from some drive to SD. I'm not sure exactly why, but windows does it faster if you unzip it directly to the SD card.

And there's variation, even in that; Winrar unzips fast directly to the SD, and my writer copies fast enough if you unzip to HDD and then copy. But if I drag files from winrar to the SD, it takes forever. God knows why.

you can disable write caching in windows by going into system properties > device manager and properties for your cardreader. that speeds things up.

or is it enable? whatever, just change it off the default.

Winrar unzips fast directly to the SD, and my writer copies fast enough if you unzip to HDD and then copy. But if I drag files from winrar to the SD, it takes forever. God knows why.

If you drag & drop from WinRAR, it first unpacks to a temp directory then copies the files.

rokdcasbah: it's enabling write caching, but then if you yank the card reader "unsafely" you can screw the SD up, so I leave it off.

you can disable write caching in windows by going into system properties > device manager and properties for your cardreader. that speeds things up.

Or is it enable? whatever, just change it off the default.
Actually that's probably the problem I changed mine from the default to 'not cache' as I'm always removing the flash from the reader without waiting for the cache to be written.
Even so, it seemed inordinately slow compared to doing larger files.

in my experience the bottleneck always seems to be with windows rather than card or reader speed. haven't tried transfers on linux since i don't use it much, even though i do a lot of unix crap at work. i just got a new card that's faster and don't notice a huge difference in transferring (and since it was new, i had to sit through a lot of transfers :D)

in the future i'll have to try doing a tarball and unrolling it from the terminal, that seems like the fastest route for games with a lot of data files. and yeah, even though games with lots of data files is a pet peeve of mine, i can understand why rixed doesn't want to mess around with that. it's a port, and it might need to be maintained/kept current. even if not, having a long and complicated build process turns what would have been small bugfixes and things into a total nightmare.

For my embedded stuff I use a php script to transfer (ftp) a compressed tar file to the target and the tar -zxf that file into flash (file is transferred to /tmp ramdisk). Would this be a better/faster method?

You could terminal in and do it by hand or as I do, use an ftp daemon on the target and hack its code to (on receipt of a tar file) detar automatically.

Then again I guess the speed of usb networking pc -> gp2x would negate any benefit this would give?

EDIT:
Yeah, rixed shouldn't have to play around with the file structure for a port :)
I consider this game more of an opengl demo that hopefully will get more people onboard.

Wow, just wow!
Great work porting this wonderful game and proving the 2x still have alot to give rixed!

On the subject of transfer speed; i copied the extracted files to the sd by a lowbudget cardreader and it took about 6 minutes (winxp).

Wow, just wow!
Great work porting this wonderful game and proving the 2x still have alot to give rixed!

On the subject of transfer speed; i copied the extracted files to the sd by a lowbudget cardreader and it took about 6 minutes (winxp).
Same as me :) well, mines internal so I don't know the budget :S

I cant get this friggen game to work on my Mk1 one even if the CPU is set to 200Mhz.
It crashes flashing a text screen up in blue just after you select the adventurer start.
Bloody GP2X

Have you set it to use gpu940_225 instead of gpu940 (clocks to 240 on the 940T)? If not that's more likely the problem than the main processor.

Edit; Also the memory/timing tweaks might be too aggressive, I just removed all those for my "slow" gpe of egoboo.

yes mate, i had the gpu940_225 running and all the memory/timing tweaks removed too.
Its a puzzle to me.

Hmm perhaps its a corrupt file, or your firmware version? I'm sure you've thought of all the many possibilities by now though..

I restarted again from scratch on another SD Card. It worked fine using the slow setting this time. It must have lost a few ones and zeros on the first copy, that or I now have a corrupt sd card.

Thanks for your help buddy.

All I get is a green screen with the clock speed, then another green screen, then it goes back to the menu. I've tried running it with the different settings (ie changed the gpe file to the one that people said) and it doesn't work. I have enough free space (about 600-700mb) and i'm running firmware version 2.0 (haven't updated as not got round to it yet).

Have I missed something?

Back