New Project

Pirotic

Certified Guru
Hiya,

i'm about to begin work on a game design i've had for a while, not really a genre in itself but rather a mix of princess maker, pokemon, black and white and harvest moon.

You start off with a basic monster, you dont get many to pick from - the idea is they change depending on how you treat them, so you get a 'blob' sorta thing which will eventually though training end up just how you want it.

you get them training, you take them for walks/adventures, you put them in sparing fights etc.. you dont have direct control over the little fella, but you can scold him when he does something rubbish, and praise him when he does something well.. and its thru the praise system that he learns what you want him to do and eventually will always act how you want him to.

this extends to the fighting style too, so if you want a ranger fighter - you'd scold him for doing physical attacks and praise him if he chucks something, once you've earnt money you could buy him a proper projectile weapon and eventually you'd have yourself a cool sniper character :D

the artwork side will be difficult, so i've decided that while yo uget some default monsters - you can also draw your own. and while it's 2D, it wont need animation. each limb will be a seperate graphic, and along with some sort of hybrid 2D skeleton animation system it'll move without needing to be animated (if that makes sense)

it'll have joints etc and the assets will be moved and rotated in real-time to make it look like its moving.

I call them monsters, but so long as they have two legs and two arms it can be whatever you want - a bird, a ninja, a robot etc.

When your not raising it to the the ultimate killing machine, you also have to raise money and maintain your monster ranch, you put your monster in battles and place bets, which in return allow you to buy items, pay for better training and improve the facilitys in your ranch.

you can share your monsters by exporting them to a file which a friend can then import, this will allow you to battle friends etc.

Also you can have team battles, so if you are raising 3 monsters - you can make them do a 3 on 3 battle against somebody else's 3 monsters.

i'll make it so you get different class's of battle, and your monster must complete some sort of 'exam' before being allowed in that class, in the starting class's your monster cannot die, only get KO'd. but in the later class of battles your monster can die and you lose it.. but then again you make more money if you win.

the main attraction i suppose will be the petting side, i'll try to get the AI as cool as possible so its not just a tamagotchi which is either hungry or playfull.. your pet will sorta get a personality of its own.. if your nasty to it it'll become evil, if your too nice to it it'll run away and be a coward in fights etc.

any ideas/suggestions welcome - want to get the design finalised before i start coding, otherwise i'll just go back and have to rewrite bits later on which wastes time (as i've discovered with gigas).

Good idea - best wishes on being able to pull it off :)

Ideally something more than simply a fight/train/level game would be nice - perhaps having some long-running quest or some such might be fun too. Or small ones likewise. Training your monster, for example, to collect all the mushrooms it finds in the forest rather than eating them, for to sell the things in town could be a simple one. Especially if there is someone who needs some mushrooms in order to get a cure for their child's sickness (cliche, I know, but hey) or similar.

Or perhaps, put the town where you and the monster live under seige - and (God knows why, but reason is often not important in RPG stories) your monster is the only creature that could get out of the town unnoticed with a message to try and get help. Clearly depending on how you'd trained the monster already would depend on how effectively it could perform that task - a faster monster who hadn't been trained to fight as well would probably be better. But equally, it could always fight its way out if it were powerful enough.

If that *were* a quest though, there would have to be training facilities in the town so it would be possible to get the monster up to the required standard if it fell short at the time when the event happened.

If I think of anything else, I'll leave a message. In the mean time - good luck with the project :)

this sounds brilliant!

from what you've described i can't really think of anything else you could need, i'd love to see the potential for lots of interactivity between game users!

Sound interesting...

but please, dont put any "GP" in the title.
We all already know that it is for GP32.

this is a message to all GP32's coders.

for my part, I'm trying to make some drawing in order to make
a A-RPG/ Hack'n'slash game.
Maybe when i'll get a laptop or something, i'll try to make graphics or something.

If someone whant to know what i'm trying to do:
http://cedric.bikondnkoma.free.fr/jpeg/Tau%20(try%2001).jpg

it's not the character final version but not that far.

That's sounds great! Some sort of quest, or simple Pokemon-like movement through a world would be interesting, but not neccessary. If you can manage the make-your-own-character, we could finally get some interaction between GP32 users on their GP32 and not only on the boards. There could be tournaments etc.. Very exciting, if you get it off the ground.

glad you all like the idea, i'll keep you updated with progress.

ta

Pirotic

Hi there Pirotic,

as all demand a PC Editor for Gigas: If you could give me some information about the file format, I'll try to create a PC editor.
I can't say for sure that I am able to create it, but I can try :)

Cheers,

EvilDragon.

Sounds like a great idea. I am a big fan of the monster rancher games, I get addicted to them lol. It would be cool to have something similar but for my gp32. Good luck with the project, if you get this thing off the ground then I can't wait to see demos and such :)

AMAZING STUFF , but you mentioned people being able to make there own character on a a kind of skeletal thing , but does it HAVE to have 2 arms 2 legs ect , could we say have a choice for extra limbs , maybe a tail , i'd love some sort of scorpian person or mutant spider with george bush's head (for suicide stuff ya know ;) )

well i hope you like what i have to say , cus im thinking you may be making the best homebrewn GP32 game .. maybe the best homebrewn game ever !?!?!?

Ohhh

Use a neural net :)

I've tried making something like this a while ago, but I never got past typing in:

Code:
int main(void * args) {

}

;)

Back