New Scummvm Version Has Beta Sci Support

relapse808

I wanted to see if it was possible to port the latest build of SCUMMVM with beta SCI support. I would love to play a lot of these games using scummvm rather than dosbox. Thanks.

i guess if your desperate you could try to run freesci through ginge. eitherway im sure djwillis will update scummvm when he get some time.

relapse808 said:
I wanted to see if it was possible to port the latest build of SCUMMVM with beta SCI support. I would love to play a lot of these games using scummvm rather than dosbox. Thanks.

ScummVM is trivial to compile to the Pandora, so you can expect that it will be ported some time on the future.

I am one of the SCI lovers too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix said:
djwillis is your man :) Did you check the slightly older scummvm beta he let out?

jeff

I don't have a Pandora yet. I should have one soon(600-700)and would love to makethis new build the first thing I try.

I tried ScummVM (the 26th of may 2010 version). It works for most games. Indiana jones and the last crusade (indy3) has the same issue as the GP2X version. The fight controls don't work. They were mapped to the numpad in the original game. Can't get it to work on the pandora, so that game is unplayable.

mrdremel said:
I tried ScummVM (the 26th of may 2010 version). It works for most games. Indiana jones and the last crusade (indy3) has the same issue as the GP2X version. The fight controls don't work. They were mapped to the numpad in the original game. Can't get it to work on the pandora, so that game is unplayable.

I managed to get it to work on my pandora using the number keys at the top although it isn't really comfortable playing like this.

Mutilator said:
mrdremel said:

I managed to get it to work on my pandora using the number keys at the top although it isn't really comfortable playing like this.
True, I got some fight functions to work that way, but not all seemed to work. you should be able to high middle and low punch and put your guard up and down and walk forwards and backwards. somehow I could only get forward and one punch to work. Did you have more success?

Gruso said:
I'm really keen for some SCI stuff too. I couldn't get FreeSCI working in Ginge sadly, but it might be supported later.

So no one ported FreeSCI yet? hmmmm....

The good news is Hooka has a Pandora. For some reason though I couldn't find a download link to FreeSCI (GP2X) when I was doing GINGE tests, so I don't know if he still has it out there. I'd love it if he ported it though, or gave the code to someone interested in doing it. Nudge wink. Maybe drop him a line. :)

/has flashback to beta testing FreeSCI and talking about getting Pandoras. Seems like ten years ago!

fettouhi said:
Is gabriel knight supported by this engine?
No not this release it seems, I remember reading that they're making progress though. Check this page for games that do work. http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/Testing#Full_Games

Gruso said:
...or gave the code to someone interested in doing it. Nudge wink. Maybe drop him a line. :)

I think he gave the source to me at some time in the past. But I think that for the Pandora a straight port should work.

Sorry Guys,

Been mental with my real life the last few weeks (well since the Pandora release).

Yep, as people have mentioned we have enabled the SCI engine by default in the main TRUNK codebase to get some testing done, it does have bugs but it's heading in the right direction and the SCI guys are really working a storm fixing bugs. Do not expect ScummVM SCI support to be faultless, esp. not on the OpenPandora.

I'll get a ScummVM OpenPandora build out shortly with a SCI plugin, building it is not hard but I just need to get some time free to myself to get things back up to speed, that may take me a few days in itself, oh and commit the code to TRUNK, clean it up etc. ;) .

As far as porting FreeSCI, not sure I would sink a lot of time into it, ScummVM is where the SCI development happens these days.

EDIT:

Ok, I have just done a build of the code I have on my laptop with SCI enabled, it's based on r52357 but has none of the new bits I am working on for the OpenPandora (re-done touchscreen code, screen scaling etc.), it's just pretty much the same as the old release but with newer engines turned on.

Don't give me any bug reports on this, I know it's buggy. It's just for people wanting to try SCI. http://djwillis.openpandora.org/pandora/scummvm-r52357-op.tar.bz2

Alerino said:
Hitnrun ported FreeSCI few days ago, it works for quite a few games!

edit: here

Alerino, sweet, I missed that, very nice. Nice bit of work Hitnrun.

Stouffa said:
Same as with the first beta version, this version fails to load on my Pandora at all :(

Stouffa, I don't really want to get into supporting something that is based on older version of the backend code then what I am developing but what happens? Where are you running the app from?

I can't say I had any problems (other then the known bugs in the old backend) playing a few SCI games, SCUMM games and even some SCI32 stuff.

DJWillis said:
Alerino said:

Stouffa said:
Same as with the first beta version, this version fails to load on my Pandora at all :(

Stouffa, I don't really want to get into supporting something that is based on older version of the backend code then what I am developing but what happens? Where are you running the app from?

I can't say I had any problems (other then the known bugs in the old backend) playing a few SCI games, SCUMM games and even some SCI32 stuff.

I've tried running both versions released from within the Apps, Menmu and Desktop directores, looks like it starts loading (card activitiy), then nothing more happens. Tried it last night from within Minimenu, it didn't even show me any signs of loading at all from there. I know you're not going to spend mujch tine on this version. but for me it's the only software I've found so far tha simply refuses to run on my Pandora. I'm a complete Linux newbie, so have been using nothing but PND's on my Pandora so far...

Stouffa said:
DJWillis said:
Alerino said:

Stouffa said:

I've tried running both versions released from within the Apps, Menmu and Desktop directores, looks like it starts loading (card activitiy), then nothing more happens. Tried it last night from within Minimenu, it didn't even show me any signs of loading at all from there. I know you're not going to spend mujch tine on this version. but for me it's the only software I've found so far tha simply refuses to run on my Pandora. I'm a complete Linux newbie, so have been using nothing but PND's on my Pandora so far...

Try to post here the output of /tmp/pndrunfreesci.out or /tmp/pndrunscummvm??.out (the ?? should be anything, I don't know the pnd name of the application). You should be able to open it in Mousepad.

Back