New Scummvm Version Has Beta Sci Support

Hitnrun said:
Stouffa said:
DJWillis said:
Alerino said:
Hitnrun ported FreeSCI few days ago, it works for quite a few games!

edit: here

Alerino, sweet, I missed that, very nice. Nice bit of work Hitnrun.

Stouffa said:
Same as with the first beta version, this version fails to load on my Pandora at all :(

Stouffa, I don't really want to get into supporting something that is based on older version of the backend code then what I am developing but what happens? Where are you running the app from?

I can't say I had any problems (other then the known bugs in the old backend) playing a few SCI games, SCUMM games and even some SCI32 stuff.

I've tried running both versions released from within the Apps, Menmu and Desktop directores, looks like it starts loading (card activitiy), then nothing more happens. Tried it last night from within Minimenu, it didn't even show me any signs of loading at all from there. I know you're not going to spend mujch tine on this version. but for me it's the only software I've found so far tha simply refuses to run on my Pandora. I'm a complete Linux newbie, so have been using nothing but PND's on my Pandora so far...

Try to post here the output of /tmp/pndrunfreesci.out or /tmp/pndrunscummvm??.out (the ?? should be anything, I don't know the pnd name of the application). You should be able to open it in Mousepad.

Can't seem to find any file remotely close to that in the tmp directory (there are ones for other programs at least). Has anyone else had any similar problem running this or the other beta version of Scummvm?

UPDATE: reflashed my firmware entirely, only difference is this time it didn't go mad when I got to the date section(!), so I managed to get up and running using only 1 account (the last time I had to create a secondary account to get past that point). Now Scummvm seems to load fine, might there have been some issue with administration rights for running it?

Now the menu loads up, but I can't seem to add games, they're the same files that worked on my GP"X and my PSP, anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stouffa said:
Can't seem to find any file remotely close to that in the tmp directory (there are ones for other programs at least). Has anyone else had any similar problem running this or the other beta version of Scummvm?

UPDATE: reflashed my firmware entirely, only difference is this time it didn't go mad when I got to the date section(!), so I managed to get up and running using only 1 account (the last time I had to create a secondary account to get past that point). Now Scummvm seems to load fine, might there have been some issue with administration rights for running it?

Now the menu loads up, but I can't seem to add games, they're the same files that worked on my GP"X and my PSP, anyone got any ideas?

Ok, re-flashing is just a little extreme ;) . Odd as I have loads of accounts on my unit, no reason that anything like that should cause an issue (not saying it can't, just that I can't think of a 'how' for now).

Anyway, from within the menu can you you click 'about' and ensure that the (c)/about info for engines is shown? Esp. the (c) for the games your trying (what games are they?).

If you get no engine info shown it indicates that the plugins are not loaded. I can't think why that would be the case but at least it would give me something to go on. Now it's running you should also have the output files and the stuff that gets dumped into the 'runtime' dir.

If you do get engines shown then try cheating and do a 'mass add'. To do that hold down SHIFT and the 'add game' will change to 'mass add'. Select 'mass add' and point it at the root of your SD (or root of the ScummVM games folder you have). The detector will then crawl the tree looking for every game it can find and present you with a list of everything it has found. See if that finds any games.

When I go to the about section it gives me a nice scrolling message, under the available engines it goes into the GNU software legalese section, should there be a list of engine names before that? I've tried the first 3 Monkey island games, Indy and the Fates of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, and Sam and Max hit the road. Even doing a mass add from the root of my SD card turned up nothing...

Heres the runtime file from my Pandora, hope it helps!

rm: cannot remove `/tmp/cpuspeed': No such file or directory
not mounted on loop yet, doing so
LoopMountedon:
/dev/loop0
Filetype is ISO
sudo mount /dev/loop0
mounting union!
Filesystem is vfat
[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]
mkdir: cannot create directory `saves': File exists
mkdir: cannot create directory `runtime': File exists
Using configuration file: scummvmrc
Current working directory: /mnt/utmp/scummvm/runtime
Current save directory: /mnt/utmp/scummvm/runtime/../saves
[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]
cleanup done

Hi DJWILLIS, is there a chance for an updated SCUMMVM 1.1.1 for Pandora?

Stouffa said:
When I go to the about section it gives me a nice scrolling message, under the available engines it goes into the GNU software legalese section, should there be a list of engine names before that? I've tried the first 3 Monkey island games, Indy and the Fates of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, and Sam and Max hit the road. Even doing a mass add from the root of my SD card turned up nothing...

Ok, sounds like the engine plugins are not being loaded, that's going to cause the issues you are seeing. Not sure why, those logs would be handy ;) .

I'll look at this tonight and see if I can get the newer backend code into a testable state for a release. I don't want to waste time messing with code I have reworked several times since.

mcobit said:
Hi DJWILLIS, is there a chance for an updated SCUMMVM 1.1.1 for Pandora?

Nope,

There will be new 'SVN' releases soon (and 1.2.0 previews) but I want to get the OpenPandora backend 'official' with the 1.2.0 release, I won't be backporting code to the 1.1.* tree for the OP. The one in this thread is as close as you get to an 'update' for now.

If there's any more reports I can extract from my Pandora that might be useful, let me know! If I can find them, I'll post them. reinstalled the original beta version, guess what? That one works and recognises all my games so far (except for Curse of Monkey Island, but I must have a look at what files are actually in that directory!

Back