New Site > Gp2x Vs Psp

Empyre posted on Oct 21 2005 at 10:10 PM said:
OrR posted on Oct 21 2005 at 11:48 PM said:
The GP2X runs movies, commercial games, homebrew and emus.
The PSP runs movies, commercial games, homebrew and emus.
The DS runs movies, commercial games, homebrew and emus.
I don't really see a difference... :p ;)
My thoughts exactly! Thanks OrR :ph34r:
Yea! I know, because price, speed, and ease of development have nothing to do with it! Finally, some people get it.

<_<

Last edited by a moderator:
OrR posted on Oct 21 2005 at 02:48 PM said:
The DS runs movies

I havent even folowed any news on the DS, but realy? on that small screen?

I've played music videos on the GBA with my 64Mbit flashcart. Technology has improved since then. There is a 3rd party cartridge availiable that eats Compact Flash cards and plays movies, music, ebooks and NES roms from them. And of course there is even Nintendo's official media cartridge, the Play Yan, which eats SD cards.
Yet another variant are the GBA carts with one episode of a cartoon on it.
Movies are crappy on the small screen but certainly not impossible.

I will be purchasing the M3Adapter for my DS once it is available. I might have my GP2x by then too, depending on any further delay...

I have a DS too. It really doesn't do anything for me. It is an ergonomic nightmare, a brick of a system, plus the screen is too small and low res. It is at the bottom of the heap for me below my GP32 and PSP.

I guess that shows everyone doesn't value and like the same things.

The DS and GP2x is the perfect combo for me.. The DS for great commercial touch screen titles (e.g. advance wars, trauma centre) , and I have purchased the GP2x for movies and emu...

They are three very different systems in my mind. The PSP (which just doesn't do it for me), it is a poratble console with a small screen, I would prefer to play my console on the TV at home... The DS with its dual screen and touch screen is more unique (not just a portable console) and to me is a true portable games system. The GP2x position is more as a PMP with an open homebrew/emu scene...

I can tell you one thing, I am tired of DS getting a bad rap. I could certainly understand the fears the first few months after the launch; things were pretty luke warm for sure. But let's be forthright about the DS.

"Low res" screen. 2 x 256 x 192 gives a combined resolution of 512x384 ... The PSP clocks in at 480x272. Technically speaking, the DS has MORE resolution than the PSP. If you care about GAMING and not watching UMDs all day, the DS is the winner with available screen real estate. People immediately dismiss the DS from watching video because of the SINGLE screen size. Have you seen the latest video compression technology coming off the new GBA movies? I've seen clips from the Play Yan too ... and its certainly not the train wreck people describe multimedia as. This page shows off what I agree are some of the cream of the crop looking games on the DS. Lost in Blue, Mario Kart, Nanostray ... these are all VERY clean for a 'low res' screen. Even MORE clean if you watch them in motion (the Mario Kart videos I've seen are INCREDIBLE). At half the price of a PSP, I think the DS is keep up JUST FINE in the graphics department.

"Brick of a system" ... Man, visual comparison says they ain't that far removed from each other. The DS fits fine in my pockets - and neither unit is going to comfortably ride around in your back pocket. If you want to talk about CONVENIENCE, the DS wins hands down for bringing games with you. When I'm on the go, I can stuff literally 4-6 DS games in my WALLET without fear of damage or overly bulking it up. Can you stick 4-6 UMDs in your wallet? Would you DARE to? I just don't see a clear winner here.

I could go on and on, but this is really not the place to keep raving. I just hate to see the DS get put the smack down on. Anyone whose listened to my show the last 7 years knows I've NEVER been a Nintendo fanboy. Until as recently as the SP, I've never been a fan. I really feel that Nintendo is now more aligned to my desires as a gamer. After all, I've been gaming for 25 years now - since I was 11. When you've been around that long, you really desire for FRESH, INNOVATIVE ways to game (sure, sometimes you want to fall back to the good days of Robotron, Jumpman, and Gateway to Apshai) - but video gaming IMHO has largely stagnated in the last 5-10 years. The only people I see trying to give me what I want is Nintendo and I really want to support that.

That being said, what they cannot give me is my old school emulation fixes - and I believe the GP2x will be able to. All I need is a full speed C64 emulator and an Amiga 500 1MB ECS emulator with full speed and sound. The media playback will be the bonus :)

Sorry for the long, slightly off topic post ...

iignotus posted on Oct 22 2005 at 03:33 AM said:
Yea! I know, because price, speed, and ease of development have nothing to do with it! Finally, some people get it.

<_<

you thought they were serious. HAH

junker posted on Oct 22 2005 at 11:49 AM said:
iignotus posted on Oct 22 2005 at 03:33 AM said:

<_<

you thought they were serious. HAH
And you thought I was serious!! :lol: I knew someone was going to post a reply just like yours :lol:

Winterkid posted on Oct 21 2005 at 07:17 PM said:
I too agree that Sony is really bitchslapping it's customers with their policies.
Yes, the PSP is a great machine. Yes, they have superb commecial games.

Obviously, you've seen what I haven't. Could you point out some *superb" commercial games for PSP...except for, maybe, Lumines? Most of them, not only boring like hell, but the loading time is criminal; have you played Midnight Club for PSP? I want my money back if Sony would let me have...

Shane R. Monroe posted on Oct 22 2005 at 06:33 PM said:
"Low res" screen. 2 x 256 x 192 gives a combined resolution of 512x384

Krhm... :p 256x384, or 512x192. You'd need four screens for 512x384. :)

But I do agree, the DS Mario Kart looks damn nice on supposedly technically inferior machine. As does FF3 remake... Should I ever get a DS, this game would be the reason.

Jarska333 posted on Oct 22 2005 at 06:11 PM said:
Krhm... :p 256x384, or 512x192. You'd need four screens for 512x384. :)

lol your so sharp you could cut yourself, doesn't really distract drom the points.

I thought the point was the that the DS had a big enough screen(s) to watch a movie on or did I miss something? :)

Well, one of the points. :p Nitpicking is in mah blood. :)

I have a GBA Movie Player V2, and a GBA with Crappy Afterburner Installation By Me™. The screen is big enough to watch movies... (Although the conversion software is sloooow, so it doen't get that much use...) And the installation is rather bad... I wish I'd seen the Penny Arcade about the Afterburner... Is the DS backlit, BTW?

Jarska333 posted on Oct 22 2005 at 08:18 PM said:
Well, one of the points. :p Nitpicking is in mah blood. :)

I have a GBA Movie Player V2, and a GBA with Crappy Afterburner Installation By Me™. The screen is big enough to watch movies... (Although the conversion software is sloooow, so it doen't get that much use...) And the installation is rather bad... I wish I'd seen the Penny Arcade about the Afterburner... Is the DS backlit, BTW?
Yup, DS is Backlit. GBA games look even better on the DS than on the GBA. Though since the DS is such a brick, if I'm not playing DS games, i'll just take the SP for portability.

Shane R. Monroe posted on Oct 22 2005 at 06:33 PM said:
"Low res" screen. 2 x 256 x 192 gives a combined resolution of 512x384 ... The PSP clocks in at 480x272. Technically speaking, the DS has MORE resolution than the PSP.
DS=2*256*192=512*192=98.304<130.560=480*272=PSP
But the fact that the DS is split into two screens and in many cases only one is useful makes it worse. For example RTS games can be played on one screen only because only one is touchscreen. 256*192 is very small for RTS.
I hate Nintendo for messing up the system design. I'd really love to get a DS if it wasn't for the awful design and the tiny touchscreen. On the other hand the PSP is such a mess that I won't even consider getting one.

OrR posted on Oct 22 2005 at 10:10 PM said:
DS=2*256*192=512*192=98.304<130.560=480*272=PSP
But the fact that the DS is split into two screens and in many cases only one is useful makes it worse. For example RTS games can be played on one screen only because only one is touchscreen. 256*192 is very small for RTS.
I hate Nintendo for messing up the system design. I'd really love to get a DS if it wasn't for the awful design and the tiny touchscreen. On the other hand the PSP is such a mess that I won't even consider getting one.

The DS is very weak compared to the PSP. It's in all aspects (pixel pushing power, cpu perfomance, basically in an everything). The GP2x does look like it has much more powerful hardware than DS too. The only DS's advantage is it that it's so unique. The dual screens for example might be interesting sometimes. But overall the DS is a weakest handheld of the three.

Radek posted on Oct 22 2005 at 08:47 PM said:
The DS is very weak compared to the PSP. It's in all aspects (pixel pushing power, cpu perfomance, basically in an everything). The GP2x does look like it has much more powerful hardware than DS too. The only DS's advantage is it that it's so unique. The dual screens for example might be interesting sometimes. But overall the DS is a weakest handheld of the three.

You should read sove of the PSP vs DS hardware stuff I think you would be surprised.

lucoxade posted on Oct 22 2005 at 08:50 PM said:
Hopefully they will revise the design of the DS at some point, the chunky game+watch styling is tyhe only thing that stopped me buying one. DS micro anyone?

I hated the styling too. Although I suspect its patented now. I have thought how useful it would be emulation, as a complement to a gp2X, vertical games/virtual keyboard being my main two. I think it would be fun for homebrew too.

Back