New version of Chip 8 emulator.

RobertG

I've uploaded a new version of my 15 days contest entry, C8, to http://www31.brinkster.com/roberttesting/c8%20gp32.rar which fixes Tetris (if you redefine the controls right anyway) and Space Fight, and also fixes a small cosmetic issue with the menu (when you exit a game it was always displaying the first game in the preview).

If you've not tried my entry yet please download this new version instead, as you might have a tiny bit more fun. Remember that the contest version doesn't play tetris and space fight right, and vote accordingly.

I tried your Chip 8 emulator and I think it is a well polished emulator of what must have been a very limited system. Was the chip 8 even a system? I have no idea what it is. I found the space invaders game pretty hard and when I tried the racing game, my car would only go left for some reason. Shame because the car game looked like the best one to me (I had a handheld LCD car game that was very similar when I was a kid).
I shall try your new version and see if I can get the car game to steer right.

Note for anyone else who is trying this: You have to right click and choose download on the link to get it to work.

For the Car game you have to redefine the keys:

in the game select menu press Select
where the game preview screen was you'll get a representation of the chip 8 keypad. Choose "8".
Then when prompted press Right on the GP32 keypad.
Press Select to exit the key select bit, and start the game.

The Chip8 keypad is wierd, and some games have really odd configs.

The Chip8 was a bit like a Java Virtual Machine, I don't think an actual Chip8 machine ever existed.

By the way, try "Ant" out. It's a very very primative platform game :) It's my favourite at the moment ;)

Cant download it :/ Could anyone who managed download it send it to me (hando@emu.pl) and i will upload it to gp32x server and post a news on main page ?

Back