Newbie little review and questions

I've searched the boards for this, but could not find an answer:

The Pandora was left recharging last night and the battery was at 100% this morning. Now, 4 hours later I startup (wakeup) the Pandora and the battery is showing only 89% charge state. Is 10% discharge in 4 hours in powersafe mode normal?
Sadly it is... sleep mode is in a very experimental state right now... and I always turn off my Pandora completely when that is the case.

I only use sleep mode when Im playing at school or need to take a 15 minute break for whatever reason.

You know, for when the teacher comes in and you are right in the middle of this awfully epic boss battle... ;D

Hehe, thanks for the explanation. I'll turn Pandora off next time. It's a shame really, powerup from powersave is really quick...

I use it in the train to work (+/- 1,5h one way) turn it on powersave during the day and still have enough juice for 4/5 hours home pandora-ing.

I use it in the train to work (+/- 1,5h one way) turn it on powersave during the day and still have enough juice for 4/5 hours home pandora-ing.
True, after 9 hours there should still be some 70 perc. remaining. But it's still a pity...

I've searched the boards for this, but could not find an answer:

The Pandora was left recharging last night and the battery was at 100% this morning. Now, 4 hours later I startup (wakeup) the Pandora and the battery is showing only 89% charge state. Is 10% discharge in 4 hours in powersafe mode normal?
Sadly it is... sleep mode is in a very experimental state right now... and I always turn off my Pandora completely when that is the case.

I only use sleep mode when Im playing at school or need to take a 15 minute break for whatever reason.

You know, for when the teacher comes in and you are right in the middle of this awfully epic boss battle... ;D

Haha, quality. that made me chuckle lol :p

Ok, so it happened that I left the Pandy alone for two days, it was in power-down mode unfortunately and when I wanted to start the Pandora there was no response at all (e.g. all leds off). Battery totally drained ofcourse. So I plugged the charger in and the battery started charging but now, more then 12 hours later, the battery charge state is still only 80%. Is there a chance I damaged the battery by forgetting to shut the Pandora down completely?

:unsure:

Ok, so it happened that I left the Pandy alone for two days, it was in power-down mode unfortunately and when I wanted to start the Pandora there was no response at all (e.g. all leds off). Battery totally drained ofcourse. So I plugged the charger in and the battery started charging but now, more then 12 hours later, the battery charge state is still only 80%. Is there a chance I damaged the battery by forgetting to shut the Pandora down completely?

:unsure:

I charged mine through the night lastnight and it wasn't fully charged!! Maybe the batteries not in the correct place :S

I charged mine through the night lastnight and it wasn't fully charged!! Maybe the batteries not in the correct place :S
Pandora runs fine without charger connected though, but I'm glad to hear the charging process being slow anyway. I unplugged/plugged the power supply an hour ago and see the charge state is up a few notches, so fingers crossed everything is ok....

But, I wonder, would it be possible to shut the pandora down when critical battery state is reached? It would feel more secure to me.

Pandora runs fine without charger connected though, but I'm glad to hear the charging process being slow anyway. I unplugged/plugged the power supply an hour ago and see the charge state is up a few notches, so fingers crossed everything is ok....

But, I wonder, would it be possible to shut the pandora down when critical battery state is reached? It would feel more secure to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's about right. Also, the charge circuit is supposed to have an auto-shut off when it reaches about 100% and then will discharge down to about 80% before starting the charge again. Not everyone's Pandora does this, though, and it's apparently lead to some problems with the battery. I'm working on a better charge cycle that should see it only drop to 95% so it's less confusing.

It should do that at about 5%. Does on mine. Even being completely off, however, the battery is still used slightly to maintain clock and other simple states, but that 5% should be enough to last a week before the battery completely goes flat. I suspect that for some reason the shutdown script didn't run as it should have. Could have been a program that was running keeping it alive, or maybe some permission issues on the script. Hard to debug.

And yes, it takes a long time to charge the battery from flat. It can be charged faster, but the slower the charge the less heat it generates the longer your battery should last.

Yes, that's about right. Also, the charge circuit is supposed to have an auto-shut off when it reaches about 100% and then will discharge down to about 80% before starting the charge again. Not everyone's Pandora does this, though, and it's apparently lead to some problems with the battery. I'm working on a better charge cycle that should see it only drop to 95% so it's less confusing.
Well thanks alot mister Stan, that takes a stone off my heart. So it's just possible that I started the Pandora at about the time it was at the end of it's discharge cycle and ready to start charging again.

It should do that at about 5%. Does on mine. Even being completely off, however, the battery is still used slightly to maintain clock and other simple states, but that 5% should be enough to last a week before the battery completely goes flat. I suspect that for some reason the shutdown script didn't run as it should have. Could have been a program that was running keeping it alive, or maybe some permission issues on the script. Hard to debug.

And yes, it takes a long time to charge the battery from flat. It can be charged faster, but the slower the charge the less heat it generates the longer your battery should last.
MiniMenu really did indicate 0% when I started the Pandora for the first time after about 2 days... and I don't really feel like testing and debugging a possible bug that might be bad for the battery. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Thanks again for your very informative reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back