.next 2013.06

aTc

Very Active Member
Angstrom moved their master branch to 2013.06 a few days ago, and after some messing about I made a somewhat working image from it.

http://next.openpandora.org/v2013.06/images/openpandora/Angstrom-OP-XFCE-NetworkManager-image-eglibc-ipk-v2013.06-openpandora.rootfs.tar.xz

Installation is the same as the older images, unpack the thing to a single partition ext2 formatted sd card, insert in the pandora, and wait about 10 minutes for it to set up things (it does show that its actually doing something, unlike previous images)

Unfortunately it has some weird problems, the biggest one is that the screen goes black after doing some things.

Adjusting the backlight brightness does seem to bring it back in some cases, but after trying (and failing) to run a pnd that uses gles it just seems to stay dark.

It would be nice if some of you could help to track down where this problem comes from.

I haven't updated the pandora recipes to the latest hotfix yet, so they are exactly the same as the ones in the 2012.12 image, which doesn't have these problems.

sorry if this is a super stupid question,

but can someone point me to any description what exactly .next is?

neither forums search nor wiki gives me any hit.

I should maybe just ignore the development section, but I`m really interested

Thanks!

Ah ok... found it

Does the search function work at all? I never had proper results.
G**gle worked  :  (

Last edited by a moderator:
screen going black is probably related to the

omapdss MANAGER error: dispc_ovl_setup failed for ovl 0

error message in dmesg

trying to run the networkmanager gui from the tray seems to trigger it too

Yes. i pushed all the changes to the master branch, your patches are included

screen going black is probably related to the

omapdss MANAGER error: dispc_ovl_setup failed for ovl 0

error message in dmesg

trying to run the networkmanager gui from the tray seems to trigger it too
The bufferclass_ti module does not load / exist. I do not know if this is causing the problem.

Also, the commands insmod, modprobe, rmmod don't exist in the image.

Probably, there are issues with the init scripts / services as the .next image uses systemd

I get the following error when I bitbake the image but the image builds fine.

ERROR: Multiple .bb files are due to be built which each provide virtual/egl (/home/xekarfwtos/projects/op-setup-scripts/sources/meta-openpandora/recipes-graphics/libgles/libgles-omap3_4.00.00.01.bb /home/xekarfwtos/projects/op-setup-scripts/sources/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-graphics/mesa/mesa_9.0.2.bb).
This usually means one provides something the other doesn't and should.

Could it be related to the issue?

It might be, i didn't spend too much time trying to get rid of the warning, but since some stuff just depends on mesa it's not going to be any fun.

It's been a while so i'm not entirely sure, but i think you even got that warning when using the drivers from meta-ti

Unfortunately it has some weird problems, the biggest one is that the screen goes black after doing some things.

Adjusting the backlight brightness does seem to bring it back in some cases, but after trying (and failing) to run a pnd that uses gles it just seems to stay dark.
It seems to me that whenever I try to launch a pnd application, not only pnds that use gles (e.g. taskwarrior), the the screen goes black.

and it's not just pnds, running the networkmanager config also triggers it, but i already mentioned that a few posts ago

and it's not just pnds, running the networkmanager config also triggers it, but i already mentioned that a few posts ago
Probably, if you toggle wifi through the applet the op_wifi.pnd is running.

I tried to run the op_wifi.sh script with the following output:

sh-4.2$ sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_wifi.sh
Starting WL1251 MAC80211 Wireless LAN driver: wl1251.
sh-4.2$ find: /lib/modules/3.2.53/updates: No such file or directory
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 15: insmod: command not found
find: /lib/modules/3.2.53/updates: No such file or directory
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 16: insmod: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 17: insmod: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 18: insmod: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 19: insmod: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 20: insmod: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 21: insmod: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 22: insmod: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 23: insmod: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 24: insmod: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 25: insmod: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 26: insmod: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 28: modprobe: command not found
/etc/init.d/wl1251-init: line 29: modprobe: command not found

Edit:

The above problem is caused by the wrong /etc/skel/.profile file. I think the openpandora-skel recipe needs to be updated. I will try to fix it.

I fixed the problem (i created a pull request). It seems that it, also, fixes the blank screen problem.

When you login from slim the screen goes black (no backlit), but adjusting the backlight brightness does seem to bring it back.

Now running a pnd file from sdcard seems to do nothing at all, the app does not start (I tried ppsspp emulator).

pulled them in and it's now building the image... it'll be a while since it thinks it has to rebuild all of qt4

I will report all the .next image issues that I find on github (https://github.com/openpandora/meta-openpandora-vendor/issues?state=open) in order to keep them all in one place and in a thread per issue.
Please try to put revelant informations in your bugs.
Like this :

Running pnd applications from SD fails.

The mount phases succeed but the script running phase fails.

Tested on 1GHz unit.
A log output at bare minimum would be requiered, else no debug is going to occur

I will report all the .next image issues that I find on github (https://github.com/openpandora/meta-openpandora-vendor/issues?state=open) in order to keep them all in one place and in a thread per issue.
Please try to put revelant informations in your bugs.

Like this :

Tested on 1GHz unit.
A log output at bare minimum would be requiered, else no debug is going to occur
I will keep updating the issues with logs and any other information I found trying to debug and solve the issues.

pulled in, and creating a new image..

i also synced the setup-scripts with angstrom, nothing major in there, but you'll need to pull those in to get the most recent layers.txt.

Also, consider joining #openpandora on freenode, i'm usually there, and it makes communicating a bit faster than a forum :)

Image built, uploaded, opkg update/upgrade, reboot, and networkmanager appears to work.

sh-4.2$ pnd_run /media/OPENPANDORA/pandora/menu/firefox.hdonk.500.pnd
Runscript /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh
Pndfile /media/OPENPANDORA/pandora/menu/firefox.hdonk.500.pnd
Subapp Number 0
Invoking: 'Firefox 26.0'
--
Mount the PND [SUCCESS]
Starting the application ( firefox.sh ) [ FAILED]
Restoring the frame buffer status [SUCCESS]
uMount the PND [SUCCESS]

Is there a way to print the reason of failure (verbose output)?

Back