Next Displays Corporation 4.8" Wvga 3D-Display

-Tj- said:
Question is, are we able to get lenticular overlays with enough column density for Pandora's screen size? I wouldn't mind putting one on the screen for temporary 3D, but my searches don't turn up anything useful.

Something like this could be used?
http://www.spatialview.com/en/node/489
http://www.spatialview.com/en/node/493

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Elwing said:
or simply some shutter glasses using 1frame like it was made years ago on computers (wonder if that kind of shutter glasses work with LCD through...)
If you think the ghosting is bad now, just wait until it's trying to show two overlapping images at the same time :p

hum, it seems you're right... will pandora 2 feature a CRT?

Why not? We could ask Sir Clive Sinclair for his amazing technology: http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/televisions/tv80.htm

-Tj- said:
OrR said:
I'd expect that "WVGA" is the resolution for one eye, not the physical resolution. Otherwise, the horizontal dpi you see would be half the vertical dpi which would probably be rather ugly.
A parallax barrier (which is what these screens use for glassesless 3D) splits alternating pixels to each eye. Column 1 would be left, column 2 right, column 3 left, column 4 right, and so on. The WVGA resolution probably refers to the display's resolution with the barrier off. It's not like shutter glasses which shuts off alternating eyes to match what's on the screen, which is what Tripmonkey_uk likely saw. That tech doesn't halve vertical resolution.

However, there are displays with technology that can display the full resolution for each eye, but this is proprietary (and probably exclusive) to NEC displays.

This is a good demonstration of what goes on: http://www.nec-lcd.com/en/technology/vit_hddp_mov.html
Actually, all NEC does is double the physical horizontal resolution. You seem to be right that they are the only ones doing it, though... (The 3DS does it, too. Are they using an NEC display? I thought it was from Sharp?)

Before adopting a 3D screen for the Pandora 2, we should probably wait until one with 800*480 per eye (1600*480 physical) at 4.3' is available so that it's actually an improvement...

chame said:
it could be very easy to transform actual pandora in 3D with polarized glasses

just add to the screen a thin layer which polarize the output light. odd pixels could be polarized in one way, and the rest the other way (in a chess layer)
I'm not sure you can actually get the polarization to be that exact... Even if that's possible, and you somehow solve the problem of natural LCD polarization, every second pixel would appear black to each eye which would probably make the picture rather dark and grainy...

I think all Nintendo screens are from Sharp. They have a special relationship, ever since the NES.

gibberish said:
what were they using screens for in the nes days, game & watch?

I'm confusing Sharp with Richo, sorry. Richo did the PPU for the Nes.

Sharp did the CPU and (IIRC) screens for the Game Boy.

WORMSXP said:
-Tj- said:
Question is, are we able to get lenticular overlays with enough column density for Pandora's screen size? I wouldn't mind putting one on the screen for temporary 3D, but my searches don't turn up anything useful.

Something like this could be used?
http://www.spatialview.com/en/node/489
http://www.spatialview.com/en/node/493
I noticed those, but they probably don't have nearly enough columns to work well with Pandora's screen. iPhone has a screen res of 480x320 (not iPhone 4), while Pandora has 800x480. Seeing as their product is the only device they have listed there under mobile, it's likely their overlays are specifically made for iPhone's pixel density.

Another thing to keep in mind, the lenticular technique works best on LCDs which have the RGB stripes horizontally aligned, as opposed to the vertical alignment of most screens. There may be diagonally-aligned lenticular lenses that I'm not aware of, but all the ones I've seen have been vertically-oriented with screens that have been rotated 90° to align the RGB stripes horizontally. Pandora's stripes are probably vertically oriented.

If your lenticular lens is diagonally-aligned, you would have to look at the screen diagonally, which wouldn't make much sense, would it?

-Tj- said:
I've seen some large monitors that use lenticular lens tech at Siggraph some while ago, and the effect is amazing (glasses-free, at that).
Really?
The lenticular displays I've seen at SIGGRAPH, (And I/ITSEC) were pretty horrible. Typically they put a piece of tape on the floor, and if you stand exactly on that tape, and are of average height, you'll see a reasonably good 3d image. Otherwise you'll see something distorted and blurry, or perhaps just 2d.

I'll admit that it might work better if you're holding the display (like the 3ds) because you could adjust the angle until it's perfect.

Frankly, given the choice, I'd still rather have a Pixel Qi sunlight readable / LED backlit color ultra-low wattage display. They have touchscreen versions now - I doubt they have our display size yet.

I would also like to see us cram in a wider screen with more pixels - small speakers are fine for a device built for using headphones. 1024x600 using a same-height panel as what is in the Pandora now - just a bit wider. OK, so it is only a dream - but that is what this thread is about anyway.

Another 3d option would be to go with an outrageously high resolution per inch display as above and mount a divider between the screen center and the bridge of the user's nose. This results in the eyes parting slightly and seeing a true 3d image. Think about the old school stereoscopic photo viewers.

If you have never seen a stereoscope - it would be an ultimate steam punk move to mount one or two high res displays at the end of one and use it for 3d. The above idea makes the Pandora console the display - it would need a hood-set attachment to make it all work - and yes that would be very goofy looking.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Stereoscope-Stereoviewer-w-91-cards-/230489778015?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item35aa42e75f

VRAndy said:
-Tj- said:
I've seen some large monitors that use lenticular lens tech at Siggraph some while ago, and the effect is amazing (glasses-free, at that).
Really?
The lenticular displays I've seen at SIGGRAPH, (And I/ITSEC) were pretty horrible. Typically they put a piece of tape on the floor, and if you stand exactly on that tape, and are of average height, you'll see a reasonably good 3d image. Otherwise you'll see something distorted and blurry, or perhaps just 2d.

I'll admit that it might work better if you're holding the display (like the 3ds) because you could adjust the angle until it's perfect.
Well, I wasn't exactly referring to the distance you had to stand to see the effect. :p

The best one I saw actually had eye tracking to adjust the 3D effect. You just had to stand close enough for the cameras to pick up your face, then it'd adjust the effect just for your eyes.

OrR said:
If your lenticular lens is diagonally-aligned, you would have to look at the screen diagonally, which wouldn't make much sense, would it?
... unless they have some special technique or lens that I haven't read about, which is why I said, "there may be diagonally-aligned lenticular lenses that I'm not aware of." ;) I've seen some pics where the expected vertical lines are diagonal, like 20 degrees or so, but it might just be an optical illusion, an effect of the photograph being taken at an odd angle.

i know nothing about 3d screens, but isn't 3d video the same as HD video. meaning that you need the processing power and what not to play it.

EDIT- does the pandora have the poawer to play HD video?

Meany105 said:
i know nothing about 3d screens, but isn't 3d video the same as HD video. meaning that you need the processing power and what not to play it.
Yes and no - the only difference between HD and SD video is the resolution; HD video is generally considered to be 1280x720 and higher. As far as the 3DS, I don't know how other 3D screens work, but the horizontal resolution is doubled - so in this respect more processing power is needed, but how much depends on the resolution. It could be considerably less than HD video (the codec matters here too).

Meany105 said:
EDIT- does the pandora have the poawer to play HD video?
The CPU can't handle it, but the DSP should at least be able to play 720p h.264. However, the current kernel does not have DSP support. It is being worked on for a future release.

Back