NFC in the Pyra

Puppetmaster

It might be a bit to late, but would it make sense to add an NFC device to the Pyra ?

I don't know much about the cost or the needed room for the Chip + Antenna, but i can imagine some interesting scenarios of use.
It could be used to trigger Events on the Pyra via NFC-Tags or to communicate with an NFC capable Smartphone excange URLs or similar stuff.

What do you think about it ?

I don't know anything about general security issues bu i'm no expert.

One solution could be to only turn it on when in use/needed like Bluetooth or Wlan.

I would think anything dealing with money payment systems would have to have some strict controls / licensing and such.. maybe more of a headache than it's worth for EvilDragon.. Also in the North America I don't think it's used at all.

NFC is just a communications system. The WiiU gamepad has a transceiver which it was supposed to use for various gaming things, and Skylanders and Disney Infinity also come with their own NFC pads.

There shouldn't be any problem just putting the hardware in place. What people do with the software, what data they actually communicate, is an entirely different question.

I haven't thought about mobile payment just about exchanging Data or reading NFC Tags.
I had no clue what NFC was, when googleing it I only saw an article of it being used for purchasing products and such. didn't realize it had other uses.. If someone said RFID receiver/transceiver I'd know what people were talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a nice feature in my android phone but imho it could be "really" usefull in the Pyra with the open OS and software.

Iirc NFC and RFID are pretty similar.

There was a phone a little while back which made a big deal about it's NFC feature. Want to share a photo? Just load the photo on your phone and hold the two phones next to each other, instant copy. A bunch of other stuff as well. But of course, while the technology was just NFC the actual protocol was proprietary so it only worked with their phones and as far as I know quickly died away. Think NFC as TCP and the actual communication as HTTP, FTP, or whatever.

I don't think that NFC is necessary if Bluetooth is included. It would be a nice feature, but not necessary IMHO. 

There was a phone a little while back which made a big deal about it's NFC feature. Want to share a photo? Just load the photo on your phone and hold the two phones next to each other, instant copy. A bunch of other stuff as well. But of course, while the technology was just NFC the actual protocol was proprietary so it only worked with their phones and as far as I know quickly died away. Think NFC as TCP and the actual communication as HTTP, FTP, or whatever.
Bump. Google bought and killed it recently. 

I personally wouldn't use it, I always have disabled the feature on my phones, for security reasons.

I might be paranoid but I imagine it's very easy to plant malware with it, same reason I don't use QR codes.

I like the idea of those NFC stickers which you program to run commands, my mate uses them on his Samsung, Samsung Techtiles, in his car so automatically enables his B/T which he then uses for speaker and radio, and has one on the doorframe of his bedroom so his phone automatically switches to silent profile.

Still, I'm not confident in it yet myself

NFC and Bluetooth are totaly different technologies. Afaik they've nothing in common and are used for different purposes.

NFC is used by Samsung to transmit the Data for a Wifi-Direct connection between two Samsung Androids (S-Beam). But I'm sure it's a proprietary protocol.

There ia another standard used by most modern Android phones to exchange different types of Data via NFC called Android Beam.

Idon't know if that standard is open or proprietary.

Perhaps somebody here knows more about it than me.

There is something about holding your phone up to someone elses, back to back, that is just awful. Lining up to do ir is fine, but something about NFC just strikes me as technologically inept.

Its like taking pictures with a tablet, nobody wants to see that.

There is something about holding your phone up to someone elses, back to back, that is just awful. Lining up to do ir is fine, but something about NFC just strikes me as technologically inept.

:lol:
And yet people do both those things. Maybe even more so, when taking pictures with a tablet.

And yet people do both those things. Maybe even more so, when taking pictures with a tablet,
I keep expecting the sentence to continue after the last comma.

And yet people do both those things. Maybe even more so, when taking pictures with a tablet,
I keep expecting the sentence to continue after the last comma.
Better? lol

NFC is expencive, and brings minimal good. Where are you going to use it? There arent much places you can use it, but playing around "with new technologies".

From another side, putting a simple (removable, paranoids are everywhere), RFID tag into it would be cheap as dirt, yet, will provide another function "out-of-the-box".
Not much use as with NFC, but here, its just a question of few cents added to the final price.

Bump. Google bought and killed it recently.
Unless WizardStan is severely mistaken, that's not Bump. Bump was not a phone, but an app for Android. And at least as long as I was using a android phone, (up until almost 2 years ago) Bump did not use NFC. IIRC, it used Wifi. And you didn't just hold the phones next to each other, you fist-bumped with them in your hands to activate the accelerometer that told Bump it should look for another Bump user nearby and exchange information with them.

-God Ginrai

Back