NFC in the Pyra

Yeah, that's not what I was talking about at all. I don't remember much about it other than a big ad campaign a year ago trying to show off this new phone and how easy it was to share everything by just putting them back-to-back, assuming the other person had the exact same phone.

Yeah, that's not what I was talking about at all. I don't remember much about it other than a big ad campaign a year ago trying to show off this new phone and how easy it was to share everything by just putting them back-to-back, assuming the other person had the exact same phone.

Samsung had a lot of fuss about NFC on its phones, and it used proprietary protocols I think to work with special Samsung tags that they put on posters and stuff. Don't know if that was it or not, but they had a big campaign too.

I use NFC on my Nexus 4 sometimes with my brother doing the back-to-back phone thing and we share images or pages like that, but honestly, it's easier to just share the URL via email or Hangouts than bother with tapping (and sometimes you pull it away too fast and have to do it again). You can share contacts with it, though, which is actually a useful feature, but almost no one has NFC. :p

I bought some writeable tags for it a while ago and that's actually gotten use. I have one under my mousepad because I put my phone there a lot, it puts it into "desk mode", I have one in my car that I tap my phone to to put it in "car mode" etc. It's neat, but I don't know if it will have much use in the Pyra. I couldn't imagine trying to make a payment with it, which is probably one of the biggest practical uses of NFC I can think of. The rest is kind of "feature-for-the-sake-of-features".

I would really like to mess with RFID using the NFC.

The protocols are different, but IIRC it's technically compatible and there seem to be custom drivers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would really like to mess with RFID using the NFC.

The protocols are different, but IIRC it's technically compatible and there seem to be custom drivers. 
"Hope" that it will work, which is very unlikely.

No it's not. NFC is built upon RFID standards like ISO/IEC 14443. Hardware-wise it should work AFAICT.

Back