Nintendo 3DS

I feel that "intellectual property" laws in general have been abused and manipulated, and that they do more harm than the good they were originally created to do.
I agree, which is why I don't feed into that and think it is counter productive to give these companies more ammunition. Every time you pirate a game that you disagree with ethically instead of giving money and exposure to one you whose ethics you do agree with you are feeding the very system you are arguing against, you are saying giving major companies further excuses to abuse the system and letting those that are acting responsibly die.
This is a big part of the problem though, and goes with what Klumpen was saying.  My best option (when "voting with my money") is to totally skip anything with current gen mainstream handhelds/consoles.  I don't.  If I really wanted to try to help fix the problem piracy is less causing it than giving my money to those that do the things I feel are wrong.  I do try to raise awareness of those that I think are doing things in a beneficial way, however there aren't many of those that I am aware of and really into.  There are a couple that I think are.  Again, where I "fail" here is that even if they aren't I plan on giving them some money (additional money for those that have already received some for my copies of these games).  I want to show support for the project itself, even if there is DRM, as I appreciate their effort, and that they would make games like this for crazy people like me.  Ethics are only part of the big picture.

Again, we are (or I was) talking about Nintendo and the 3DS line
You brought up piracy first. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to play ROMs for 3DS, either emulated or on a copy cart. So what point were you trying to make by mentioning it? The only reason I said anything is because you mentioned it first. You confused me, I don't like being confused.
Yes, but it was in the context of games that are not released in the US, and how it applies to region locking, both of which are things Nintendo feels they must do.  I don't know where the issue is with releasing certain titles here.  I wonder if they do the same thing in Japan, and don't release some fairly successful games from here over there because they think they won't sell.

I don't currently own a 3DS flash cart.  While it is true that many of those that say they are 3DS compatible do not allow for playing 3DS ROMs, when I last checked there were one or two that did.  What really sucks is that, afaik, titles like DSN-12 and M01D (and others that are download only) can't be as easily kept in someones collection like DS-10 and DS-10+, even if the person does own a flash cart.  I lost my copy of DS-10, so I guess that is also hard to keep in a collection. :p

Confusion is fun.

Maybe you could try playing with it a bit.  I am often confused about many things, and it creates many interesting experiences, and leads to expanding knowledge (for those that are willing to clear up their confusion, like you do).  There are some unfortunate outcomes of confusion sometimes, such as with some paperwork related to some financial things I am dealing with that I thought were taken care of, only to have it blow up in my face because someone didn't clear some things up that I asked about several times, and was given a partial answer that I understood to be a complete answer, and when trying to contact the individuals working in the office that handles it I received no replies to emails, my calls were not answered, and I can't leave anymore voicemail since their box is full.  Eventually I got someone else in their organization to force them to reply to my email, however right now it is still not clear on if I have lost thousands of dollars over this.  It sucks for me, and maybe for them, but it is still funny.

I was hoping you'd try to convince me you were right but if you're not up to it then no problem.
Not my thing, really.  I feel it is often better if people don't agree on things.  Many people try to "fix" the opinions of others, but I don't think there is anything wrong with them unless they start interfering with the lives of others.  We can argue about a different topic if you want.  Maybe how Nintendo keeps releasing incremental hardware updates to the DS line for no reason other than to squeeze a little bit more money out of their customers (and the environmental impact of these decisions).

Maybe how Nintendo keeps releasing incremental hardware updates to the DS line for no reason other than to squeeze a little bit more money out of their customers
Pretty sure there's no argument there :p

Yes, but inbetween sucking ass, they can still produce games that are ace. Although with ever-increasing empty space between each release :(

Jumpman - are you able to give some help (just advice) with regards to the DSi?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but inbetween sucking ass, they can still produce games that are ace. Although with ever-increasing empty space between each release :(
I agree, and was really looking forward to whatever the next Metroid game would be.  I am a bit disappointed with what they announced.  I hope it turns out to be much more than what it seems.  Maybe they are trying to kill the Metroid series.  I do like the 2D SMB stuff, and a few other little things (Pikmin, although I haven't played the most recent one; Splatoon might be fun, but I can't really say since I haven't played it yet; I do like some of the more classic style Zelda stuff, again, haven't played the most recent one, and I am not into the 3D ones other than for the story), but I don't know if the stuff I like and what they put out will be enough to warrant future hardware purchases.

Without Nintendo I guess I would mainly turn back to FPSs, with a few little odd things here and there.  Even a lot of the modern FPSs aren't for me.  I guess my interests couldn't keep up with where everything went.  I guess I am stuck with old games and an occasional new game (that I will only play if it is released for Linux, or a console that I own, which is unlikely if Nintendo doesn't fix their shit, unless I decide to get caught up with what Sony has to offer).  There are a couple series I have been interested in for a while, maybe I will look into them.

Cheers Jumpman/Chris.

I want to buy a US DSi, specifically to get SnapDots on DSiWare - yep, I'm that sad, but I really loved Guru Logi, which SnapDots is based on. 

Is SnapDots still available on the DSiWare eShop? How much is it (in Nintendo points) and can I still buy points for the DSi? I know you can get points for WiiU and 3DS, but nowadays, as the DSi is not really supported, do you have to pay on a credit card to get DSi Points?

I know certain DSiWare titles are available for 3DS - is SnapDots? If so a US 3DS might be a better option as I can definitely buy US Nintendo point cards.

I hope you can help. I've done some googling and it's not really coming up with the answers I need.

Cheers Jumpman/Chris.

I want to buy a US DSi, specifically to get SnapDots on DSiWare - yep, I'm that sad, but I really loved Guru Logi, which SnapDots is based on. 

Is SnapDots still available on the DSiWare eShop? How much is it (in Nintendo points) and can I still buy points for the DSi? I know you can get points for WiiU and 3DS, but nowadays, as the DSi is not really supported, do you have to pay on a credit card to get DSi Points?

I know certain DSiWare titles are available for 3DS - is SnapDots? If so a US 3DS might be a better option as I can definitely buy US Nintendo point cards.

I hope you can help. I've done some googling and it's not really coming up with the answers I need.
Well, first let me answer the questions I actually have an answer for. Yes, SnapDots is available as a 3DS e-shop title currently in the US for $4.99(500 points was the original amount). As far as I know, they did away with points awhile ago, and converted those amounts over to actual dollar amounts.

I'm not even sure if the DSi shop is even still up and running, as I haven't had my DSi for years, and considering they no longer offer points cards at retail(e-shop money cards only), so I'll assume the e-shop took over as "N" online gaming service, and whatever DSi games where available before, most should now just be 3DS titles(without any 3D features of course).

When I first bought my 3DS, it allowed for transfers of DSi online games over to the 3DS from the DSi, so that's what I did. So I still have all my original DSi titles on my 3DS from the transfer. Shortly after, was when they got rid of the points, and started just money amounts, instead of points. MS did the same awhile ago as well, as points is just confusion.

If you have a 3DS/2DS, or whatever device gives you access to the US e-shop, you can just use a credit card as well. Although they may block usage based on your CC physical address. "N" does dumb shit, so this may be an issue, but the E-shop cards can be bought online, and many Ebay sellers, will just send you the code, so you don't need to have it sent.

My son still has his DSi, so later on, I can try to see if it can actually access the DSi shop and see what's available. But as I stated, I'm pretty sure the current e-shop just absorbed the DSi one, and most games should still be available, but just with actual money amounts, instead of the points system. I also believe "N" shut down their online servers for original DS and DSiare titles awhile back, so where games can still be bought, certain games online features no longer function. So you can still play the games, just not use the online features like VS., or downloadable extras and such.

Chris

EDIT: For the record, I have a deep love of "N" as my username here even references Mario's original name(Jumpman). I do agree, they can still make great games, but they are far and in between, and where they once ruled in certain genres, most games have been bested by other companies, and other games. For me, almost every new game announced, or released is just a HUGE disappointment.

I don't mind change, but when something isn't broke, stop trying to fix it. I was really looking forward to a proper 3D Metroid as well, and the shit they announced is a HUGE let down. I'm also a HUGE Star Fox fan, and while ZERO looks better than anything they've done in years, it still looks "off" to me. I'll reserve judgment until I actually play it, but they just seem lost in everything they do now. It's like they are scared to fail, and scared to succeed all at the same time.

While they're trying to figure things out, others are making better and greater games all the time, and the things that they once did that made them special are just "gone", at least for me.

Thanks for the info. It seems that a US 3DS might be the better option then, although more expensive :(

Yeah, my love of all things Nintendo is certainly stretched. I've been so disappointed with their release schedule this year. In fact I don't think I've even turned my WiiU on in 2015. I will get Wolly World at some point and I'm really looking forward to Zelda (Boo Hiss for not showing it at E3), but other than that it's 3DS all the way and only because of the StreetPass games and Picross e.

Thanks for the info. It seems that a US 3DS might be the better option then, although more expensive :(

Yeah, my love of all things Nintendo is certainly stretched. I've been so disappointed with their release schedule this year. In fact I don't think I've even turned my WiiU on in 2015. I will get Wolly World at some point and I'm really looking forward to Zelda (Boo Hiss for not showing it at E3), but other than that it's 3DS all the way and only because of the StreetPass games and Picross e.
No problem, glad I could help.

Don't get to excited for Zelda Wii U, I'm still not to sure they will actually release that. It may get the "NX" treatment before it's all said and done. The excuse they gave for not showing it at E3, was that they don't want to show games that are more than 6-12 months out, but that is more of the "N" BS spin.

I've been going to CES and E3 as far back as the early 90's, and they have always shown games 1-3 years away(more in some cases). Hell, if I'm to believe that, why did they show it last year knowing damn well, it was at least 18-24 months away(minimum).

Like I've said before, Iwata was an "excuse" master, and everyone within the company seems to follow the same lines.

Splatoon looks cool, my son plays the "test fire" events when they offer them here in the states. I'm going to buy it for him at some point, but I'm waiting on a discount.

Chris

Got me Cube Creator 3D yesterday, and as its not the same as minecraft, its still fun and i like it to play,

Ditnt expect such a game to run probatly on 3DS, but its plays quite well:

Circle Pad Pro/New 3DS C-Nub work out of the box, you have a creative and a survival mode,

Ok there arend something like redstone wires as long i see yet, but for survival and build its advance enought..

So i think it was worth it and the game only have about 230 blocks, which also is good..

Lol, I have heaps of Vita scattered all over my apartment and came across this guy on the tree that wanted a Vita, so I met up with him and gave him a Vita for his non-New 3DS XL #winning

Lol, I have heaps of Vita scattered all over my apartment and came across this guy on the tree that wanted a Vita, so I met up with him and gave him a Vita for his non-New 3DS XL #winning

Nice rack..........er, I mean score :lol:

Chris

Stop looking @my gfs rack <_<

:p
Exactly why I didn't comment.  I didn't know who she was, and some people get angry (sometimes excessively) about comments about their family, friends, or partners.

What do you personally place the value of that 3DS and the Vita you traded for it?  I don't know what either usually goes for, not that it matters for a trade.

Back