Nintendo 64 - Possible Or Not?

Dark_TB

Website
Visit site
Like 5 years ago, we got a new computer at home.. A 500mhz with no 3dcard.
It could emulate Mario 64 with very nice framerate..
I don't remember wich emu it was.

I know that you have to rewrite most of the code if the sourcecode is there, and maybe it's not...

Are there a N64 emu for pocket PC or something?

Just wanna hear your thoughts, maybe why/why not it's possible or not..

Another thing.. just saw that Duke Nukem 3D has been ported to GP32.. Check gp32spain.com, I might be wrong, I don't know spanish...

Well... i dont think its possible, because N64 had AA

not to mention how we would fit the control scheme on the GP2X..

it would be a little odd.

Dark_TB posted on Oct 15 2005 at 11:14 PM said:

I know that you have to rewrite most of the code if the sourcecode is there, and maybe it's not...

Another thing.. just saw that Duke Nukem 3D has been ported to GP32.. Check gp32spain.com, I might be wrong, I don't know spanish...
For the most point, no, due to it's high processing pwer. However, it may happen, though I wouldn't get your hopes up at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend you clean that up a bit... Propably insult 90% of of board members.
(This for Mr. synkro...)

For the question... Dunno. I'd assume anti-alias and such don't have to be on... Maybe someone will give it a shot. Maybe not.

Dark_TB posted on Oct 15 2005 at 11:14 PM said:

Just got back from the Spanish Site (I'm currently living in Spain, so I've got it right next door, LOL). And you are correct, the post says that Duke Nukem 3D has been ported with sound for the BLU, FLU, and NLU. They post the settings in English, so you should be okay once you find the post. It's under the "Foros Gererales GP32" section, and the first post is where they give you the settings and a link. Good luck, H.G. P.S. If you need any more help with the Spanish site, feel free to give me a HA-LA. :D

Jarska333 posted on Oct 15 2005 at 10:29 PM said:
I'd recommend you clean that up a bit... Propably insult 90% of of board members.
(This for Mr. synkro...)

For the question... Dunno. I'd assume anti-alias and such don't have to be on... Maybe someone will give it a shot. Maybe not.

I agree,

Mr. Synkro you took it a little overboard, fix your sig man, lets make this a respectable forum without trash.

Before reading, you have to understand I don't know much about console emulation and this is the reason I'm asking this question

Anyway,

What I want to know is why a 93.75MHz console can't be emulated on a dual 200 MHz processor handheld console.. I know this may be a stupid question to you guys, but look at it from my perspective, with the dual processors, there is a total of 400 MHz, 4 times that of the N64. All I can see is the numbers, what else comes into play in emulation?

Thanks.

Korup7 posted on Oct 16 2005 at 12:49 AM said:
Before reading, you have to understand I don't know much about console emulation and this is the reason I'm asking this question

Anyway,

What I want to know is why a 93.75MHz console can't be emulated on a dual 200 MHz processor handheld console.. I know this may be a stupid question to you guys, but look at it from my perspective, with the dual processors, there is a total of 400 MHz, 4 times that of the N64. All I can see is the numbers, what else comes into play in emulation?

Thanks.
The Console has a different type of CPU, plus it has floating point math and 3d, and extra hardware, and double the resolution.

So from all that, what can be emulated onto the GP2X?

BTW, I'm not really referring to N64 anymore, just trying to get a feel for what can be emulated and what can't..

Actually, before anti-aliasing, N64 has the same resolution :ph34r:

Project64 for the PC can emulate a N64 on a computer without hardware 3D acceleration at 320x240 without anti-aliasing. I know, I've done it!

N64 does run at about 100MHz, but the type of processor is completely different. So I'm guessing it would need to run about 5 times to 6 times the 100MHz to handle that part of it. So 500 to 600 MHz to get fullspeed with sound and no frameskip if I'm guessing even close to right. With Frameskip 1 or 2 and no sound, that would be like 300 MHz and that's a REALLY rough guess to get running like %80-90.

And the GP32 isn't 400MHz, it's 2 x 200MHz, but that would only accomplish 300MHz equivelant if completely optimized.

So completely optimized, mostly ASM programmed, with all the right routines, any custom chips I might have forgotten stuffed somewhere in there, and you would have a slightly working, barely playable N64 emulator.

my guess would be

Everything the gp32 can do, better. (nes,gb,snes,genesis, ect.)
+sega cd
Neo Geo (in some capacity or another)
Turbo Duo
Age of the beast

(one of these might happen, be amazed)
Playstation
n64
Sega 32x

that's my guess. Some mighty talented people code for the gp32, and it looks like some of them will be giving the gp2x the same love. :)

Lurky posted on Oct 15 2005 at 07:23 PM said:
my guess would be

Everything the gp32 can do, better. (nes,gb,snes,genesis, ect.)
+sega cd
Neo Geo (in some capacity or another)
Turbo Duo
Age of the beast

(one of these might happen, be amazed)
Playstation
n64
Sega 32x

that's my guess. Some mighty talented people code for the gp32, and it looks like some of them will be giving the gp2x the same love. :)

Out of those 3.....Id say the 32X would be the MOST possible...I dont think it ran that much heavy 3D graphics than the PSX or N64. The GP2X really only has 2D acceleration....but the XGP could possibly handle 3D emus....So if you want to wait for the XGP and want those 3D graphics..go ahead....but I can handle 2D stuff and Ill enjoy the GP2X.

Im more of a "n00b" here and I know that N64 isnt possible... :D Thank God for my background in computers...

On what's possible:

I recall reading the site for Pheonix, the PalmOS GB emulator, and the fellow on there waxed on at some length about what was possible on the platform. He stated that a machine had to be ten times as fast as what it wanted to emulate to do it properly - while that's excessive in nearly all cases I know of, things do have to be rather close to there to be sure bets. Get very much smaller than that and it gets very, very iffy.

On that topic, I've been assuming that because the GP2X should be able to manage SNES it should be able to manage (some) GBA. Anyone know anything about this? I understand there's been a suggestion to work on VirtualBoy Advance, which has nothing to do with the Virtual Boy...

Prothall posted on Oct 15 2005 at 09:00 PM said:
On what's possible:

I recall reading the site for Pheonix, the PalmOS GB emulator, and the fellow on there waxed on at some length about what was possible on the platform. He stated that a machine had to be ten times as fast as what it wanted to emulate to do it properly - while that's excessive in nearly all cases I know of, things do have to be rather close to there to be sure bets. Get very much smaller than that and it gets very, very iffy.

On that topic, I've been assuming that because the GP2X should be able to manage SNES it should be able to manage (some) GBA. Anyone know anything about this? I understand there's been a suggestion to work on VirtualBoy Advance, which has nothing to do with the Virtual Boy...
The emulator is actually called "VisualBoy Advance," and I don't think GBA emulation for the GP2X will be any good. Just because GBA games might look similar to SNES games (in terms of graphics and what not) doesn't mean they are equally powerful. There's a lot more going on under the GBA's hood than you might think.

Dark_TB posted on Oct 15 2005 at 06:14 PM said:

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: No,

First, to understand why you need to know both machines and how emulation is technically done. The n64's cpu is a 64-bit R4300i RISC (93.75MHz) / 64-bit data paths, registers with 5-stage pipelining and a Co-processor (not dual proccessor) of 64-bit RISC (62.5MHz). The Gp2x is a Dual Arm9 200mhz (dual 200mhz doesn't mean 400 mhz, it always depend on the cache of the proccessors and how they work together and all. You also need a good SDK to exploit them correctly, among other things). The N64 Have 3d Acceleration. In fact, it's a machine made for 3d. The Gp2x have 2d Acceleration, it's a machine made for 2d. That's all you really need to know to understand why you won't see any playable n64 emulator running on the gp2x.

Now, you need to know that there's alot of different 'kind' of cpus, working differently, if you want. Those are called platforms. PCs have x86 CPUs, Consoles have other kind of CPUs. Operations made for a platform cannot be performed on other platforms without recompilation . That's where Emulation iis handy.

Now, For emulation. The term 'Emulation could be basicly described As a program that 'decode' an operation from a platform to make it understandable for another platform. That's why emulation is so consuming. (well, you need to take the OS in consideration , and alot of other things too...)

Now, add the fact that You'll need to use a part of the CPU to make 3d operations and all...

We'll start with GBA, Neo geo, Amiga, Dos Box, And psx, okay? ;)

Back