Nintendo Ds

I know the market for old games is there. I'm WELL aware of that... In fact, I prefer most older games to the newer ones, and if I hadn't found out about the GP32 when I did, I would have bought a Gameboy Advance to play those games... but what I'm trying to say is that I think 20 bucks is too much for a game that's 20 years old. They should at least put 2 or 3 games on each cartridge(Capcom released a smaller version of their Megaman anniversary collection with 5 games instead of 10, and it's about 20 bucks at wal mart, or at least it used to be) if they're gonna charge 20 bucks. I realize people will still buy it anyway. I'm not saying they won't. But I know I definitely wouldn't, even if I did have a GBA.

Hiya Guys! :D

Well, I'm here to defend Magus! Come on,the guy has made some excellent points! The DS is crap, where as the PSP truly is great!

As for the drivel spouted by boiz inda hood (or whatever stupid name you call yourself!), well you really have shown yourself to be a total moron! Hey, Magus said he'd had a good 30 minutes in EB! He knows this machine, and you jump down his throat, cos you've had a hard day!

I call for Boiz to be banned! And let other people have an opinion on this board!

Some people, hey!!!!

:p

PS. SHHHH

That's why you wait till they are on sale and get them at £4 :p

On a related note, I came across an old Special Reserve Catalogue and hell were the n64 expensive even discounted :-|| Nov 97, Mario 64 is 40.99?

lubidog posted on May 15 2005 at 07:04 PM said:

Well, I'm here to defend Magus! Come on,the guy has made some excellent points! The DS is crap, where as the PSP truly is great!

As for the drivel spouted by boiz inda hood (or whatever stupid name you call yourself!), well you really have shown yourself to be a total moron! Hey, Magus said he'd had a good 30 minutes in EB! He knows this machine, and you jump down his throat, cos you've had a hard day!

I call for Boiz to be banned! And let other people have an opinion on this board!

Some people, hey!!!!

PS. SHHHH
Oh of course I should have realised it sooner! What was I thinking, ofcoursethePSProxxorswhileeveryotherconsoleevarsuxxor!

Thanks for setting me straight Lubidog.

Last edited by a moderator:
White Demon posted on May 15 2005 at 11:37 AM said:

Some people, hey!!!!

PS. SHHHH
Oh of course I should have realised it sooner! What was I thinking, ofcoursethePSProxxorswhileeveryotherconsoleevarsuxxor!

:D :D :D

God this topic AGAIN. There are so many PAGES of DS vs. PSP banter to read on here... really... you'd do better to just read up than start a new thread about it.

I am one of the few here who DOES actually own both. Yes I like the DS, but I hate that the games are coming very slowly for it and there haven't been too many real 'must have' titles in my oppinion. The touch screen is a gimmick that really has yet to be put to really good use IMO. I desperately await Metroid, Mario Kart, and Castlevania. Since finishing Mario 64, I have not TOUCHED my DS in at least a good two or three months now. But I'm keeping it because I do feel that at some point there WILL be some REALLY GREAT exclusive games for the thing. But just as has been the case with the Gamecube and N64, I don't think it will ever reach the pure saturation of third party titles that the PSP will... lately it seems you really only buy a Nintendo system for the Nintendo exclusives, which, while few and far between, do usually make owning the system worthwhile all on their own.

I love my PSP, far more than I love my DS, it's very impressive to me still even after 5 months of ownership, with those wonderful graphics and huge screen. BUT, I am also disenchanted with it... it's a fragile machine, easy to scratch, and having had THREE of them now (one I bought and then sold, one I bought that my wife now keeps with her, and a third for myself) I find that the quality control on them is HORRIBLE. They tend to come out of the box new covered with hairline scratches, dust stuck inside the screen, dead pixels, sticking buttons, UMD trays that wont close properly, dents/bubbles in the screen... the list goes on. Plus the fact that 75% of the games I've played up until now are not bright enough and are almost impossible to play outside on a sunny day... I keep bringing it along on car trips and find I've wasted my time as there are only maybe 2 games I can see decently to play... what I DO see in the sunlight is all those beautiful hairline scratches... ugh. And of course the reaction time of the LCD... darker games tend to blur a LOT which also hurts the enjoyment of what are otherwise some very good games. It's a very flawed system, I think Sony should have delayed launching it for at least another 6 mos or something... enough time to adress all these 'bugs'. New game releases for the PSP have also slowed to a trickle since the initial launch batch of 25 or so... which is dissapointing. Hopefully there is some big stuff in the works coming soon. Notice I'm NOT mentioning battery life though as to this day this factor has NOT been a problem for me.

honestly, right now, I play my GP32 FAR more than either my DS or PSP. I'm a huge fan of older games and DrMD and GP Engine have been bringing me MUCH joy as of late. Plus having 100's of games to choose from all crammed on one SMC, to me that is the ultimate in true portability... just bring the system, a spare set of rechargeables in my back pocket, and I am guaranteed that I've got TONS to play on even the longest of road trips! Without having to drag along a bag/case full of games and such. I agree with the sentiment that the GP32 more than justifies it's price of $200 for the amount of joy you can wring out of it.... until a good homebrew/emu scene develops for the DS/PSP or some more really must have games show up I think the GP will continue to be the one that gets played the most.

EDIT: and uh... sorry but I didnt' like FF8 much either :( I didn't HATE it, but I personally prefer FF 7 and 9. I did like a lot of the new play mechanics in FF8 as well as the sweet card battle minigame, but the story just didn't appeal to me much. I got about halfway thru and got bored and started in on 9 instead.

I had the same problem with Xenogears, which I desperately tried to love after having a few friends convince me it was the best RPG EVAR!!!! but after 50 hours of play and not even haflway thru the game I just gave up. Plus I HATED the combat system in that game.

bast525 posted on May 15 2005 at 01:29 PM said:
God this topic AGAIN. There are so many PAGES of DS vs. PSP banter to read on here... really... you'd do better to just read up than start a new thread about it.

I didnt start the tread to have people argue about the DS and PSP I was asking about what the emu scene was like for the DS, didnt you read the 1st post?

Quiest posted on May 14 2005 at 06:26 PM said:
I like my DS, but I`m in a lack of games, all the goodgames I`ve been waiting for are not out yet (except Mario64 and Wario Ware). I`m really waiting for Castlevania DS that one is going to be awesome!
castlevaniads_screenshot_04.jpg

DS VERSION
1_d_castlevania.PNG

SNES Version

Pretty sad when a 64 bit or whatever machine can barely beat out SNES graphics.

lubidog posted on May 15 2005 at 11:43 AM said:
White Demon posted on May 15 2005 at 11:37 AM said:

Some people, hey!!!!

PS. SHHHH

:D :D :D

Anyone else here think Lubidog is a jerk! Jeeze, get a life looser

KickinWing posted on May 15 2005 at 03:34 PM said:
Quiest posted on May 14 2005 at 06:26 PM said:
I like my DS, but I`m in a lack of games, all the goodgames I`ve been waiting for are not out yet (except Mario64 and Wario Ware). I`m really waiting for Castlevania DS that one is going to be awesome!
castlevaniads_screenshot_04.jpg

DS VERSION
1_d_castlevania.PNG

SNES Version

Pretty sad when a 64 bit or whatever machine can barely beat out SNES graphics.

That's right, pick the worst screenshot you can find for the DS version and the best you can find for the Snes version.
Here are some better DS version shots:
922145_20050127_screen005.jpg

922145_20050127_screen007.jpg

922145_20050127_screen014.jpg

922145_20050127_screen013.jpg

And here's some Snes shots that aren't using Mode 7 to make them look better:
ME0000450448_2.jpg

ME0000450458_2.jpg

they look pretty comparable to me.

Anyways offtopic: I reckon the DS is going to end up like the n64 and, to a lesser extent, the GC; in that the good games will come sloooowwww and quite far between, it'll probably be ignored by the mainstream games shops and will therefore slowly die a commercial death despite offering many top quality games (I still can't get over how underrated the N64 is/was, I mean Perfect Dark is one of the best console fps' ever :( )

on topic: tbh, I doubt this generation of handhelds will offer anything spectacular in the way of emulation, I should have thought thatt n64 emulation wouldn't come until the next gen, and this gen will only yield perfected versions of what the gp32 can already do pretty well.

yeah, those screen shots don't really show a huge difference between the DS and SNES, and the DS screens look worse than what the GBA can already do.

This is hardly relevant though, because we KNOW that the ds can improve on Mario 64, and the Snes couldn't get close! But I thought people here hankered back to the 2d days...? So a Castlevania in good old 2d, but (hopefully!!!!) with excellent animation, imagination and gameplay would be floating your boat?

Some people are never satisfied!

Oh, and a word to Boiz inda Hood... I know where you live!!!! B)

In fact, I know all about you! I have slept with your wife, I am the father to your daughter, and I will be walking your dog tonight, so be very, very afraid!!!

:D

The DS version looks good but it is very pixely. What do you expect from a low res DS though.

bast525 posted on May 15 2005 at 02:29 PM said:

I am one of the few here who DOES actually own both. Yes I like the DS, but I hate that the games are coming very slowly for it and there haven't been too many real 'must have' titles in my oppinion. The touch screen is a gimmick that really has yet to be put to really good use IMO. I desperately await Metroid, Mario Kart, and Castlevania. Since finishing Mario 64, I have not TOUCHED my DS in at least a good two or three months now. But I'm keeping it because I do feel that at some point there WILL be some REALLY GREAT exclusive games for the thing. But just as has been the case with the Gamecube and N64, I don't think it will ever reach the pure saturation of third party titles that the PSP will... lately it seems you really only buy a Nintendo system for the Nintendo exclusives, which, while few and far between, do usually make owning the system worthwhile all on their own.

I love my PSP, far more than I love my DS, it's very impressive to me still even after 5 months of ownership, with those wonderful graphics and huge screen. BUT, I am also disenchanted with it... it's a fragile machine, easy to scratch, and having had THREE of them now (one I bought and then sold, one I bought that my wife now keeps with her, and a third for myself) I find that the quality control on them is HORRIBLE. They tend to come out of the box new covered with hairline scratches, dust stuck inside the screen, dead pixels, sticking buttons, UMD trays that wont close properly, dents/bubbles in the screen... the list goes on. Plus the fact that 75% of the games I've played up until now are not bright enough and are almost impossible to play outside on a sunny day... I keep bringing it along on car trips and find I've wasted my time as there are only maybe 2 games I can see decently to play... what I DO see in the sunlight is all those beautiful hairline scratches... ugh. And of course the reaction time of the LCD... darker games tend to blur a LOT which also hurts the enjoyment of what are otherwise some very good games. It's a very flawed system, I think Sony should have delayed launching it for at least another 6 mos or something... enough time to adress all these 'bugs'. New game releases for the PSP have also slowed to a trickle since the initial launch batch of 25 or so... which is dissapointing. Hopefully there is some big stuff in the works coming soon. Notice I'm NOT mentioning battery life though as to this day this factor has NOT been a problem for me.

honestly, right now, I play my GP32 FAR more than either my DS or PSP. I'm a huge fan of older games and DrMD and GP Engine have been bringing me MUCH joy as of late. Plus having 100's of games to choose from all crammed on one SMC, to me that is the ultimate in true portability... just bring the system, a spare set of rechargeables in my back pocket, and I am guaranteed that I've got TONS to play on even the longest of road trips! Without having to drag along a bag/case full of games and such. I agree with the sentiment that the GP32 more than justifies it's price of $200 for the amount of joy you can wring out of it.... until a good homebrew/emu scene develops for the DS/PSP or some more really must have games show up I think the GP will continue to be the one that gets played the most.

EDIT: and uh... sorry but I didnt' like FF8 much either :( I didn't HATE it, but I personally prefer FF 7 and 9. I did like a lot of the new play mechanics in FF8 as well as the sweet card battle minigame, but the story just didn't appeal to me much. I got about halfway thru and got bored and started in on 9 instead.

I had the same problem with Xenogears, which I desperately tried to love after having a few friends convince me it was the best RPG EVAR!!!! but after 50 hours of play and not even haflway thru the game I just gave up. Plus I HATED the combat system in that game.

HUH! The story just gets better and better from there on.

c0ncept posted on May 16 2005 at 04:06 AM said:
I still can't get over how underrated the N64 is/was, I mean Perfect Dark is one of the best console fps' ever :( )

The Dreamcast was exactly the same, it was totally ignored by mainstream, and died (commercially) after only 2-3 years, yet I've never ever seen so many AAA titles released in such a short lifespan. The Dreamcast must go down in history as the most underrated console ever. But that's what we got for living in the shadow of PS/PS2.

lubidog posted on May 16 2005 at 04:34 AM said:
Oh, and a word to Boiz inda Hood... I know where you live!!!! B)

In fact, I know all about you! I have slept with your wife, I am the father to your daughter, and I will be walking your dog tonight, so be very, very afraid!!!

I bet he could say EXACTLY the same thing of you, Lubidog.

Well, just been reading about Animal Crossing DS, which for me could be the Killer App! If they get this right, it'll allow all of us to become little computer people all over again!

@white demon-he does, frequently!

it would take a mmporg or something like that online to redeem the DS for me. The touch screen would be great for a virtual keyboard to use for an online RPG. There are alot of things that could come from the DS that would be great, unfortunately we're seeing none of them, maybe E3?

*drooling over Castlevania screens*

I don't care if the DS's resolution hurts this game a tad... the GBA Castelvania's, all, were in my oppinon some of the best games the GBA had to offer, as well as being some of the best 2d sidescrollers I"ve ever played. This game is the #1 reason I'm holding onto my DS, period. I'm sure I won't be dissapointed. Animal Crossing... mmmmmmm running amok in my wife's virtual town all over again, how can I miss that? That's the #1 reason why we're BOTH keeping our DS's. By the way what happened to that "New Super Mario Bros."?? Did it get delayed or what? Was actually kinda looking forward to that one as well.

fitzsteve - I realize you didn't start this thread as a DS vs. PSP thread... really that comment wasn't aimed at you in a bad way... was just trying to say... well... DS threads seem to always turn out like this, so it is usually a waste to post like what you originally posted, because chances are you won't get a whole lot of useful info, just a ton of argumentative posts. Sorry if I sounded like I was coming down on you or whatever, obviously the current state of the thread is in no way your fault :) I try very hard myself to remain as unbiased as possible every time I ever come into one of these threads, anyways.... well I hope you got the answers you were looking for.

Back