Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

I have a Shield Portable with a 128GB micro card, and it's full and most of the games I got "free". I got them through Amazon Underground, or some other free app of the day promotion. I've gotten some rather good ones over the years, and considering how "N" overall game quality is way down, I can't see the masses paying $30-$60 for so-so games on the NS, that can be had for free or $1 else where.

This to me is the biggest issues of offering a console that is a tablet, as most consumers see tablets and smart phones as places to get cheap games. Standard consoles and and handhelds still have the privilege of being able to charge higher prices for games. If a parent should buy this for a child, they will be looking for free or a few buck level games, and once they see full console level pricing, they are going to say, why do I need or want this "tablet"?

Recently in the news, there have been tons of stories of how Mario Run is overpriced. I haven't played it, but I'm sure for $10, it's decent enough for the price, but where most console gamers can see that as a value, the general buying public sees that, and thinks why pay $10, when I can get something like jetpack joyride for free(a great endless runner BTW), and have a similar amount of fun.

Once again, "N" is building it, and expecting the masses to come, with little to no concept on why or how they should. A tablet needs tablet style pricing to sell well, and considering how often tech is outdated in that sector, no one is going to be buying an NS in 2 years when it's old, overpriced, with expensive games, I just can't see it. I could have bought a rather nice PS4 slim this holiday for $250, and honestly, I thought that was to much for me, but next year, when it's about $200(at least holiday deals), and I can get a shit ton of AAA games for $20 or less, there will be the NS on retail shelves charging $300, and asking $40-$60 for games, and I just don't see most consumers caring.

Maybe I'm wrong, as time will tell, but knowing "N" the way I do, they have little to no idea on how they will market this, or who their intended audience will actually be. They'll just ride the tide, and see where this system goes, and probably within a few years of release, it will be the Wii U part 2.

Chris

I don't really see the switch as competition to a android gaming tablet, just like I don't really see the Pyra as in many ways equivalent to devices like the GPD XD. Maybe it's just me, but I have a lot of affection for certain Nintendo game series, and don't underestimate how popular Pokemon games and characters are (even though I've never seen the appeal myself).

I don't really see the switch as competition to a android gaming tablet, just like I don't really see the Pyra as in many ways equivalent to devices like the GPD XD. Maybe it's just me, but I have a lot of affection for certain Nintendo game series, and don't underestimate how popular Pokemon games and characters are (even though I've never seen the appeal myself).

Yeah, I don't see it competing with Android either, but it's a gaming tablet. Not a console, or a handheld, but a tablet. No one is going to look at it as anything more than what it appears to be, which is a tablet. Everyone has tablets now, as it's a cheap and effective way to do many things at a cheap price.

The NS may be the best tablet ever, but outside of the hardcore "N" fanbase, the only real draw is that it is going to play "N" games, which is great, but the Wii U did the same, and for the price, I just don't see consumers at large caring. I grew up on "N", as did all my friends, and out of about 10-20 of them, me and one other guy are the only ones left who buy and play "N" products. Everyone else is on PC, or the latest consoles, and I find them to be representative of most of the people I run across as well.

"N" will always have the games that they do well, and even though I find many of the games to be tired and stale, most big IP's still sell in the millions, but their market has shrunk so much in recent years, and the only place where they really do well is in the handheld market, and the NS isn't really a replacement for that, unless it comes in under $200, which I can't see happening. So they are left with a system that has no home, at least that I can see. Then with the detachable controls, and the party scene vibe they promoted in their video, I just don't know who would be interested in this.

Chris

Sorry for my last comment.

I interpreted the comment like: "Why should I buy a Nintendo-Console, I could use a cheap Android Tablet & run a bunch of downloaded roms on an emulator.
Because I knew some of this kind, I missinterpreted the comment and got a little upset.

I didn't thought of the possibility to use components like the Retrode.

It will be at 13 January, ca 6am in the morning, German Time..
I ditnt want to look the stream, as it's a the time I prepare for Going to work, but I will watch it at the evening on YouTube or something..

So a recent patent and speculations of a vr unit for the switch to slide into, got me thinking; could the hook be portable vr? But maybe the samsung gear vr is portable too?
Vr multiplay on the go? Just a thought. - Its closing in on the 13th. - Im looking forward to the reveal. I doubt I will buy a switch but im curious nevertheless.

latest

Whatever, grandpa. You're gonna look quite the fool when everyone's sporting a smart-pack and playing climbing sim on the bus and you're not. Pair this with voice control and you'd be the coolest dude ever.

looking forward to seeing the first fails video that has a dude with that gear playing boxing on a wii emu

Let's hope this console is a success for Nintendo.

But if not they'll just drop it and leave the purchasers high and dry by ending support and announcing a new machine.

Don't look like enough of a tit wearing a VR helmet?

Here's a mahoosive angular contraption to wear on your back and confirm your nerdy sadness :p
I mean, yeah, these backpacks are a horrible and way too expensive idea, especially with the wireless solutions coming out this year. But VR is the last thing where I'd care how dumb I look like while playing.
Reminds me a bit of https://xkcd.com/359/

Still not convinced of the Switch being well suited to drive VR games, though.

Back