Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

It's not as bad as advertising a book by saying that there's a surprising twist at the end (a shoutout to my local bookstore, I'm not going to read any of your reviews anymore!), but I've noticed that especially with Breath of the Wild, there are lots of people online who would rather not know anything about the game before playing it.

Yeah, I know.. I have a PS4, Shield TV, Gaming PC and many of the games shown are available on them already or are coming (can't wait to play Yooka Laylee on PC!) but playing them all when I'm out and about or just not in front of my Living room TV is a big draw for me, particularly on something that has more screen real estate than say a Vita or 3DS & a superior quality screen with better/fully featured control options than the aforementioned. As great as all these indie confirmations are so early on, I'm hoping for some big Nintendo/Third Party AAA announcements before too long.

Yeah, that's cool, I'm a handheld man myself, so I play most games 90% in a portable form, so a lot of these titles appeal to me as well, but pricing and if physical versions are offered will be key.

Chris

EDIT: After watching that video, damn, the NS looks flimsy as shit. They are charging $300 for that? Glad I'm waiting awhile, and hopefully for the revision before I get in on this.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's cool, I'm a handheld man myself, so I play most games 90% in a portable form, so a lot of these titles appeal to me as well, but pricing and if physical versions are offered will be key.

Chris

EDIT: After watching that video, damn, the NS looks flimsy as shit. They are charging $300 for that? Glad I'm waiting awhile, and hopefully for the revision before I get in on this.
And check there is so many micro stuttering while playing Zelda, this is a goddamn shame. To me the Switch was a WiiU portable, not a downgrade that plays games in worse conditions.

I finally got my Shiping Mail from Amazon, everything (Switch Gray, Zelda, Bomberman, and the New CD of "Nachtgeschrei " ) is now in one package;
So tomorrow will be pretty cool

I think as I've said before, that the Switch will do well .

It will do well IMO largely based on the handheld market it will capture . Let's face it, there is little competition in that market by any major company. Plus they have something that's probably the most powerful handheld console ever.
I expect them to sell shit tons of them . I also expect that eventually the 3DS will be phased out

It will do well IMO largely based on the handheld market it will capture . Let's face it, there is little competition in that market by any major company. Plus they have something that's probably the most powerful handheld console ever.
I expect them to sell shit tons of them . I also expect that eventually the 3DS will be phased out
I'm actually suprised that the 3DS lives to date. I mean, it's been a while since it's out and they just announced new Pokémon themed cases for it. Switch is still not portable as much as 3DS so they may not do that.

I think the switch is more portable than people think. I just saw a video today where the reviewer took the joycons off, put them in one one pocket and the Switch tablet in his other pocket no problem.

As for the 3DS continuing. For a while , like a year or two maybe, it will, then no I'd say. I think the switch will be very succsessful, and there just isn't room to support two portables. I don't think the market for the 3DS will be big enough at that stage to make it viable anymore.

While I think it will do better than the Wii U(maybe), I don't see it getting anywhere near the 3DS market. While I agree it is more portable than some think it is as well, it's still console priced. Almost $400 with a game, accessories that are in Apple price territory, and games that are console priced as well($40-60), when handheld games are far cheaper($20-40). This is the same reason I don't see 3rd party support coming over either.

A 2DS or even 3DS are very attractive to parents, as they can be had cheap, and offer somewhat cheap games. When that option is no longer around, within a year or two. That same market isn't going to look at the NS, and say "this is nice, I'll replace my 3DS with this". They will see an expensive console along side the ONE/PS4, or they will see an expensive handheld over what was there before, or they will see an expensive tablet, that plays even more expensive games. That casual market can get a $99 tablet that will do almost everything, and also play free to $5 games, and it's one and done.

Yeah, I know people will say parents buy their children expensive phones and other devices, but those things cover a wide range of needs. The NS doesn't even have a web browser. Maybe it does in 2 years, maybe it doesn't. I personally don't see this filling the void left in their handheld market when the 3DS goes, especially considering it is being promoted as a "console" that you can take on the go.

I think the switch is more portable than people think. I just saw a video today where the reviewer took the joycons off, put them in one one pocket and the Switch tablet in his other pocket no problem.

As for the 3DS continuing. For a while , like a year or two maybe, it will, then no I'd say. I think the switch will be very successful, and there just isn't room to support two portables. I don't think the market for the 3DS will be big enough at that stage to make it viable anymore.

"N" unified their handheld and console R&D departments a few years ago, so I expect the 2DS/3DS to end probably by years end, as "N" just can't maintain 2 system(and never really could), and based on things like unifying divisions, they don't plan to. I do think maybe down the road, we will see a NS Mini, or an NS that is more portable, cheaper priced, but that will still play the NS software. How that will work out in the end, remains to be seen.

When asked about the future of their handheld specific market, they continue to tiptoe around the questions, with typical double speak, and PR spin answers. Even the new boss has stated the 3DS was a very popular brand, and that he would like to see something similar continued in the future, but no committed answers stating it will happen. Most fans think it will all depend on how well the NS does. If it goes down the Wii U road, we will probable see a 4DS or something. But if it does well, the NS will become the new all-in-one device, and that will be like Nvidia's shield line, where they offer certain devices for certain needs, at different price ranges.

Chris

Speaking of Shield, and I think this was said before, but yeah, I think you know now why the Shield 2 portable was cancelled, it's pretty obvious what happened there. Not only that, at about the same time, Nvidia pulled supply of the Tegra K1 to JXd who had just released the S192 gaming tablet powered by the K1 SOC. Kinda sucks hard, especially for JXD

Speaking of Shield, and I think this was said before, but yeah, I think you know now why the Shield 2 portable was cancelled, it's pretty obvious what happened there. Not only that, at about the same time, Nvidia pulled supply of the Tegra K1 to JXd who had just released the S192 gaming tablet powered by the K1 SOC. Kinda sucks hard, especially for JXD

Yeah, I completely agree. I thought of that when the NS was first shown to have Nvidia running the show. Plus, while the Shield line was a great set of products, I think Nvidia pretty much used them as show pieces for their latest and greatest tech. The NS can do more for them than anything they could have offered themselves, which sucks for us that wanted a portable 2, but we've got the Pyra coming, so in the end, now I probably don't need it anymore anyways.

BTW: Today is Zelda review score day, so here is the link to NeoGAF, as they update the fastest through out the days and weeks. As it looks so far, this may be the highest rated game of all time, and while I was in no rush to get it, I may have to plan for it this weekend on the Wii U. I'm glad to see "N" can still make Epic games when they put their mind to it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349116

Chris

It will do well IMO largely based on the handheld market it will capture . Let's face it, there is little competition in that market by any major company.
Google, along with some major manufacturers and software companies of all sizes, seem to be kicking Nintendo's ass.

Unless I come across a surprise windfall - which honestly isn't likely eh :)
I think I'm going to wait until the Mario game comes out before I actually get my Switch.
See how temptations go, and any other games which might crop up I'm not aware of, but I think it will be Mario Odyssey that temps me

Unless I come across a surprise windfall - which honestly isn't likely eh :)
I think I'm going to wait until the Mario game comes out before I actually get my Switch.
See how temptations go, and any other games which might crop up I'm not aware of, but I think it will be Mario Odyssey that temps me

Honestly, Zelda would be the only motivation for me currently, but I can grab that on the Wii U(which I plan to do when I get the time to actually play it). SO i'm sure the holidays will see some decnt bundles, along with Mario, so that would be a much better time for anyone, unless you just have to have the NS now. It's also good to wait, so they can work out any and all issues.

Chris
[doublepost=1488552224,1488545689][/doublepost]Any early thoughts or opinions from those who got an NS last night, or this morning?

Chris

Well, besides the joy-con issues, there seems to be an even bigger problem with the Wi-Fi, as the NS has a problem getting a good signal. Man, did they test this system at all outside of "N" headquarters in Japan?

Chris

Looks like Chip Works will be X-raying the Tegra SOC in the Nintendo Switch and publishing the photos soon. This will tell us if it's a modded Tegra X1 - Maxwell or Tegra P1 - Pascal

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=231444601
[doublepost=1488602868,1488598015][/doublepost]
Looks like Joel is not a fan of the Switch in this review. He says the Joycons flex on the Switch and feel flimsy. Also doesn't like the feel of the joycon controllers

Well , Nintendo copyright striked Joels negative review video and had it taken down. Reason given was that it had some gameplay in it of Zelda in the review.

On a different bote: I wonder if anyone will ever challenge Nintendo on fair use grounds.

I had one since yesterday 11 am.

Got it from my local store.

My first impression is: The best piece of hardware Nintendo has made so far.
It's nowhere near the WiiU Gamepad and Wiimote quality wise but much much better.

The joycon are nice and even with my TV in between I had no sync issue after the update.

The screen looks great and controls are great, too.

The portable and docking switching is also great and it does what I hope the Pyra will be for me.
Taking it with me on the go is a must have and I love it.

Zelda looks great. Of course the Tegra X2 would have been nicer, but for me it's all I need, as long as it's enough for third party developers.

And what most people forget to mention.
It's absolutely silent. No Disc noise. And I don't hear the fan in handheld mode and even 2 meters away in front of my TV I don't hear it in docked mode.
It's a good fan not a cheap small one like the GPD Win has built in. That one is horrible.

It doesn't force you to make a amiibo or anything else. I did swith it on an was surprised that I could nearly instantly start playing.
Even the Software Update didn't take hours (I had a LAN connection) but not even 5 minutes incl. downloading.

I love this console and I really hope it will have a long lifespan a a lot support.

I will do some tiny Rewiew, but this will take a little bit longer,
got just enought time yesterday, to unbox the Switch, and Test Play some Zelda and Bomberman..
So far im pretty exidet about the Switch, even the Joycon Grip feels pretty comfortable whyle Playing,
im used to Handheld Controlls (Pandora 3DS Vita) so mybe my expektions arent that hight, but its feels great, and i sit free on my couch as the Controlls are Wireless..
Im also was pretty impresst, when i put my Switch out of the dock and shoutet "I have the Power" !!! :)

Now im Playing whit Power, and whit Joycons..

Zelda is pretty cool, expecly the Free Climbing Feature, i just climped the citadelle of time, and took some screenshots..

Looks like Chip Works will be X-raying the Tegra SOC in the Nintendo Switch and publishing the photos soon. This will tell us if it's a modded Tegra X1 - Maxwell or Tegra P1 - Pascal

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=231444601
[doublepost=1488602868,1488598015][/doublepost]

Well , Nintendo copyright striked Joels negative review video and had it taken down. Reason given was that it had some gameplay in it of Zelda in the review.

On a different bote: I wonder if anyone will ever challenge Nintendo on fair use grounds.

What complete and utter BS! His review was one of the better ones pointing out potential issues, and just giving his honest opinions. When it comes to Youtube and "N", I can't really speak on why things get removed, as they are the only ones who remove preview, review, or comment video's based on God knows what? I have seen a few regular Youtubers who speak on it regularly, and have mentioned some form of legal actions, but I don't know if their blowing smoke, or just trying to get a rise out of the public for their own agenda's, or if they are serious, who knows?

Even though I've loved "N" most of my life in regards to gaming, I hate the company they have become so much. I have always noticed and seen their "control" issues, and now with social media and other forms of the common man being allowed to voice his/her opinions, they are the thought police x10.

And what most people forget to mention.
It's absolutely silent. No Disc noise. And I don't hear the fan in handheld mode and even 2 meters away in front of my TV I don't hear it in docked mode.
It's a good fan not a cheap small one like the GPD Win has built in. That one is horrible.

I have seen a few reports from users saying their fans are rather loud, and one guy even compared his noise to the Shield portable fan, which I have never once heard, EVER. So I don't know how reliable that info was.

How has the heat been for you guys? I've also seen several reports where users go from dock mode to portable, and the NS is hot to the touch, until the fan speeds up and brings it down. But what I've read says the fan runs evenly in dock mode, and doesn't go up or down, but runs at an even pace. So when you "Switch", it can get rather hot, rather quickly.

Chris

EDIT: BTW, do not skin your NS, as the outcome will not be pretty.

Back