Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

Well, yes and no.
I agree processing power isn't needed for great games, but it's needed for 3rd party multiconsole-titles.

Any game released for the PS4/XBox One would need to be rewritten and most probably cut down a lot to run on the Switch.
The WiiU had a similar issue which is why 3rd party developers didn't release many games... which caused the sales to be bad and even more 3rd party developers leave the WiiU.

So hopefully, that won't happen here. If the Switch sells well enough, 3rd party developers will continue to release games which will raise the sales.

That's the main concern of the processing power, not that you can't make good games with it.

Not wrong, through, in most cases for these multiple platforms games i prefer the pc version anyway...

Don't trust the peoples saying this console is crap because it is less powerful than said ps and xbox anyway...
These people are strangely short sighted... What is important is the games, not the hardware. All Nintendo console too date have always been underpowered compared to the era and competitors, yet not only people were happy with them but many of them were huge commercial success. Knowing that, judging the switch on its processing power is a rather ridiculous prospect... We should all know better here with our Pandora experience...

Almost all... I'd disagree in terms of the N64 and GameCube. They weren't underpowered perse but they had a limiting factor in terms of format used (Cartridge/MiniDVD) Also GameCube lost ground due to not also being a DVD player.

I can see it being the main console for ports of phone games.

Well, yes and no.
I agree processing power isn't needed for great games, but it's needed for 3rd party multiconsole-titles.

Any game released for the PS4/XBox One would need to be rewritten and most probably cut down a lot to run on the Switch.
The WiiU had a similar issue which is why 3rd party developers didn't release many games... which caused the sales to be bad and even more 3rd party developers leave the WiiU.
I think people overstate that entire line of logic,as it's largely tangential.

This doesn't exist because the Nintendo DS was a powerhouse:
jaquette-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-mobilized-nintendo-ds-cover-avant-g.jpg

As far as the publisher is concerned the question is whether a potential product and/or port will achieve Return on Investment. If they have to basically write an entirely new game, but they will see Return on Investment they'll do it. If they could easily do a low effort port but they don't expect Return on Investment, they won't.

Ease of porting help with the margins elements of the ROI calculations, but whether they consider it worth the bother has more to do with install base combined with the interest of the install base in buying games.

Well, you're both right. You're right that it's all about the return on investment, and ED's right that the DS version of any of the big console games is both rewritten and stripped down. That rewrite and new art costs, so it is a matter of whether the platform is big enough to make it worthwhile doing that. And the DS was a huge platform, and also quite cheap to write for with it's low resolution graphics.

Whether the switch will be a big enough market I dunno. Initial news seems positive, but we'll see. The Wii was absolutely massive, but those ports it did receive were largely cheap cash ins unfortunately. Perhaps because most people only ever played Wii Sports on it, and those who did expand their game collection mostly bought Nintendo, so the actual market wasn't as big as it seemed.

I think people overstate that entire line of logic,as it's largely tangential.

This doesn't exist because the Nintendo DS was a powerhouse:
jaquette-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-mobilized-nintendo-ds-cover-avant-g.jpg

As far as the publisher is concerned the question is whether a potential product and/or port will achieve Return on Investment. If they have to basically write an entirely new game, but they will see Return on Investment they'll do it. If they could easily do a low effort port but they don't expect Return on Investment, they won't.

Ease of porting help with the margins elements of the ROI calculations, but whether they consider it worth the bother has more to do with install base combined with the interest of the install base in buying games.
Well, you're basically just confirming what I said. Rewrites only make sense if the platform is huge enough, which is definitely the case for the DS.

For the WiiU, that didn't really happen (too small market), and for the Switch, that will happen if its market will be big enough (which no one knows yet if it'll happen).

Having a powerful hardware would make ports way easier (ideally, only a recompile would be needed), which would help boosting the sales and grow its market.

As said, more power is not needed for good games, but it would give the system a wider variety of games to choose from which would give a nice boost.

Right now, Nintendo only has sales because of Zelda and Mario Kart, which is nice, but won't be enough to establish the system, that was the same with the WiiU.

We have no real idea what games 3rd party developers will release and if the sales will be enough so they continue to release games.

Let's hope and wait.

Right now, Nintendo only has sales because of Zelda and Mario Kart, which is nice, but won't be enough to establish the system, that was the same with the WiiU.

We have no real idea what games 3rd party developers will release and if the sales will be enough so they continue to release games.

Let's hope and wait.

So far 3rd party support is slightly upgraded ports, and mostly indie titles. All of which can be had elsewhere at a cheaper price(and probably with better performance).

Now "N" has a system, that doesn't really benefit from their past handheld market, and as you state, it's under powered in comparison to the PS/ONE/PC, so any really good games from those platforms, have ZERO chance of coming the the NS, unless "N" pays someone, and the game would still be inferior, and cost the same at retail along side better versions.

On paper, a hybrid system seems like a great idea, but in reality, it's anything but. The handheld 3rd party support for the DS/3DS, is now faced with a market that is competing with consoles, where before, with the system being under powered, games cost less, it was a market all by itself. Now that is all but gone, so now do 3rd parties make games that take advantage of the system, and may not sale well enough to make it worth the effort, or do they spit out 3DS level games, and then people ask why did I need a $300 system for this?

The NS seems great for indie titles, as they are already priced cheap, and the NS is great for quick ports of those games. And that along with 1st party titles is all I think will mostly happen here, as they need a big user base to get anything decent, and they can't get the big user base, with indie games and 1st party titles alone.

Chris

Indies are not welcome on the Switch, Nintendo dont want to open the floodgates as they said, only specifically selected titles from selected developers and mostly publishers it seem have been allowed to get release onto Switch. You wont see many bedroom coder games on the Switch I would imagine, and the stronger hardware is potentially a budget problem for many japanese AA devs if they try to push some fancier graphics. Theres not gonna be a ton of games, Nintendo is now a console that plays Nintendo games and selected titles that fall in Nintendos taste. If japanese AA devs shouldnt go mobile only is down to numbers, thats how I see it and I dont think Switch will sell strong over time due to lack of must have exclusives...

I ordered today the Pro Controller, because it's comes whit a original Nintendo USB C Cable, which hopefully also works to run my Switch whit the Powerbank,
And it should be much better to play in TV Mode..

The Joycon Grip also is quite confortable, but some times I would like to have a better Gamepad..
And whit the 8 Bitdo Adapter from DragonBox, I can also use it whit my Mini NES..
and to have a third Gamepad for Mario Kart would also be quite nice..
Sadly in Germany it's not available until 22.March..

The Unreal 4 Engine supports the Switch. It has 4 GB RAM, 4 cores and a "weak but ok" gpu. So a lot of ports should work out of the box, as long as they do not use some extra libs which are bound to a certain OS / instruction set. Since most games these days are developed for PC and consoles, they could use the "crappy pc" options to reduce the resolution, texture quality, geometry and range of sight to make it run fast. UE4 supports abstracted inputs via GUI, so it would be a few clicks to change the input method to the switch controlls. I think if you offer a download only title a few thousands sales would be enough to cover the cost of "production".

Seems fake. He just plays videos back on the switch - saw the same kind of video on the day of release playing back some ps2 start up footage.
If it would have been hacked it would need at least a few weeks until the emulators are ported over.

I suppose it could be a video playing. He doesn't show gameplay. And the video supposedly shoing gameplay that he put on Twitter was even less convincing. Actually I'm pretty sure the guy was joking around now that I look at it more

Last edited:
Back