Nintendo Switch

You want!??

• Total voters

BTW, rumors have it that the Switches screen is multi touch and 720p. Insiders are still saying it has extra processing power in the dock. Possibly only 3 hours battery life. All rumors of course

It makes no sense to me why Nintendo would flat out say right now that the dock is not the system, it's just there for TV out and power, if it had extra processing power. What else would they be disputing by this statement? To say that this would be a minor detail not covered by their "main function" statement seems absurd. The dock does have other functions like the USB ports, those I can see not being main functions. But having extra processing units?

It makes no sense to me why Nintendo would flat out say right now that the dock is not the system, it's just there for TV out and power, if it had extra processing power. What else would they be disputing by this statement?
Perhaps they said that to make it clear it's not like Wii U.

Still, the seamless display switching seems like a huge technical challenge to overcome if there's indeed extra processing power in the dock (is video card hotswapping a thing?).

@notaz

It wouldn't surprise me if what you said is the case should the rumor about processing power in the dock be false.

I would also suspect if it's like what you say, that the dock would also have a beefy fan to cool the tablet (over and above any fan in the tablet)

I've always liked how Nintendo innovate while ignoring more popular* trends (* from a vocal minority who seem to like referring to themselves with the egregious moniker "PC master race").

If Switch can support some kind of motion control, and they have plans for some kind of backwards compatibility, then I think I might be sold on it, although I'm not entirely convinced about the portability aspect if it; wouldn't just pop in a pocket like the 3DS does.

So basically it's just an iControlpad and a dock that only work for a specific tablet.
With proprietary data storage (cartridges were announced) and a lot of DRM.
Amiibo compatibilty was already announced too, which adds an additional layer of hardware DRM for day 1 DLCs.

This evening will be another usecase for the Nintendo Switch:
My Dad wants to watch Formula 1 on my TV because my mom wants watch movies

So if I had the switch, I would just put it out the dock and remain to game in my sleep room

But sadly, it's have to wait until march 2017..
Or I just play Dragon Quest Builders on Vita..

Amiibo compatibilty was already announced too, which adds an additional layer of hardware DRM for day 1 DLCs.

That's the only point I agree with you so far.
Amiibo is day 1 DLC and does take away much fun for me.

I love how Nintendo can ignore the latest trends (this time it's VR) the performance race and just go for a better gaming system...
That one seems great, there's chance I'll buy a console after years without...

Perhaps they said that to make it clear it's not like Wii U.

Their advertising shows people using the Switch on an airplane.. I feel really bad for anyone who needed it spelled out that it's not getting content beamed from the dock unit. It's pretty bad that they had to explain that Wii U isn't a Wii with a tablet controller and 3DS isn't DS with 3D, but this would really take the cake.

Still, the seamless display switching seems like a huge technical challenge to overcome if there's indeed extra processing power in the dock (is video card hotswapping a thing?).

I guess if they had to do it it'd be over something like a PCI-E 3.0 x4 connection in the dock. nVidia has SLI and they've released products before that combined Tegra with discrete GPUs.. the hot docking part would be new but probably not a huge hurdle.

But I just can't see them spending all of this money on docked only functionality when they're promoting this so heavily as a portable, and when they said that the dock's main function is just TV out and power.

I don't know if things in the Japanese industry have changed much in the last years, but somehow I have the feeling that some big shot commanded "We will fuse our mobile and our stationary line" and now all the actual engineers and coders have to cope with this decision regardless of it being not well thought out in the first place. That's basically how things seem to work go in most huge companies where the managers have no personal connection to the actual work - and it's also mostly the last step before the inevitable downfall.

There will be a detailed presentation at 13.01.17 whit more Infos on price, releasedate launch titles etc
Ditnt have the Link but I wrote something on the internet so it's should be true ..
Still 2 Months to go

I will follow it using my Pyra hopefully..

Last edited:
Back