Nintendo Wii U

Wii U is a an answer looking for solutions. Nobody ever played mario and think to themselves: this would be perfect if I can play it with a controller the size of a  tea tray with battery life less than 4 hours.

I hope nintendo's making a console with no game kinda strategy will work out for them in the end. (No, it won't. Keep beating dead horses will not make them come back to life)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope nintendo's making a console with no game kinda strategy will work out for them in the end. (No, it won't. Keep beating dead horses will not make them come back to life)
It's fair to say that Nintendo have not hit the ground running (more with a very loud thud), but they are far from dead. Even if the WiiU is a complete and utter commercial failure they've got the 3DS, DS and Pokemon (and many other franchises) to prop them up for years to come.

MarioKart8, the new Zelda, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros and a proper Mario game (and Miyamoto's new franchise) will result in increased WiiU sales.

I read an article that states that wiiU becomes profitable to Nintendo after just one software sale, so they aren't losing money hand over fist with the machine itself - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/21/wii-u-becomes-profitable-after-one-games-sale

There's plenty of time yet. And just because the XBone and PS4 are imminent doesn't mean users won't pick up a WiiU too, once there are games worth picking up... until then there's always Pikmin 3. And... err... :(

The wiiu is the new gamecube.
They wish the WiiU was the new Gamcube. The GC was making money at the starting line. By the time this thing starts making money, it will be time for a new system.

"N" really needs to make dramatic changes in house, and the WiiU failing is the only way we are likely to ever see that happen. Those guys are so damn stubborn and refuse to change their mindset no matter how bad something fails. Just say it, "We Fucked Up Royally" and we need to make HUGE changes to turn this thing around.

Stop trying to innovate, and just emulate at this point. Follow a concrete business model and roll with it. The WiiU should have been something entirely different in name and functions, and just had some good horse power and a great price. We have to pay tons of extra funds for a device that doesn't improve games over the standard controller. This is no different than the X3DO, and their included Kinect crap. I have no need for it, and if you want me to have it, you pay for it, not me.

We are coming up on holiday number 2 for the WiiU, and I'm no closer to buying one now, than a year ago. Unless they drop price, are have a wicked good bundle package, I'm seeing another WiiUless Christmas.

Chris

Maybe the development of the Wii U was so cheap, they cen make profit with less sold units? And Wiki says 3.61 Million units sold, for me this sounds just huge, especialy when you compare it with Pandora or OUYA sells. ^^"

When you sell over 3.61 Million Consoles (and even more games) and you don't make profit, you definitly do something really wrong imho.

The WIIU is dead in the water no AAA titles can save it serves nintendo right for peddling underpowered garbage as next gen 

The industry has been evolving for a very long time, and these guys just refuse to look at the big picture and think out of the box. The American auto industry has done the same things. Just because something worked several times in the past, doesn't mean it will continue to do so.

Sony used to be industry leaders in electronics, same thing has happened to them. Others have come along with cheaper and better ideas, and just about pushed them out of the industry they helped to create.

Iwata's saying he doesn't want to layoff staff, but guess what? When profits are down, you need to cut staff, pay or both. This is basic economics 101. The companies who continue to do well, or the ones who take risk and look forward to where their prospective industry are heading. "N" lacks that vision and insight at this point.

Miyamoto is talking about how they didn't realize how long it would take to make HD games, are you serious? How the hell could you not? Look at Pikmin, this is a past game that has been moved from past consoles and should have launched shortly after the WiiU's launch, and here we are almost a year later, and the game arrives with average reviews. Pikmin wasn't going to move units if it was AAA reviewed, and when you take this long to release a game, and it's more of the same, what the hell was the delays for?

Like I said, these guys need someone to come in and sit this company on end, and get some motivation and fresh ideas flowing. All I hear from Iwata down, is excuses. My 7 year old has excuses, an industry leader should have answers. 

Chris

I think they even said it wouldn't happen so soon, but at this point they really have little choice.

Oddly, it looks like they're phasing out the basic bundle altogether.. Throwing in another pack-in (not Nintendo Land) as well is a good move but if you ask me Wind Waker HD is the wrong choice.

<snip>...Wind Waker HD is the wrong choice.
Well... it works for me... Sure I would prefer a NEW Zelda game but with the price drop and me wanting to play through Wind Waker again anyway(Was going to work through on the GameCube until I heard about the remake.)

I might be putting this on my stuff to get at Xmas list...

50 bucks? That's it?

Does Nintendo think I'm retarded? This is beyond insulting to a long time fan and reeks of desperation. This would be kind of decent if I could get the "basic" bundle, but that is no longer available. 

So they took the cheaper model and slowly fazed it out(not telling anyone BTW), so now the option for a 249.99 system is GONE! WTF "N"?

I didn't want a WiiU for 300 last year, so why would I want one this year at the same price? This is the worst Jedi Mind Trick I've ever seen! If money was a consumer issue(which is is currently for millions of people), and if I didn't buy the basic bundle at 300 last year, why would I buy the deluxe this year at 300? For some cheap stands, Nintendoland, and useless larger memory?

The extra added items in the deluxe bundle are nice, but not necessary.They cost Nintendo pennies to add in, and now they are pretty much selling the WiiU for what they did last year. I always planned to get the basic bundle, unless they ever ran a deal price wise that made the deluxe more inviting(black friday deals and such). If the basic bundle was still around, I may have considered getting one at 250, but more than likely I would have held out for a 200 holiday deal, but at least it would have been on my radar.

I got a chance to play Bayonetta 2 today, and it was awesome, but not enough for me to buy a WiiU at it's current pricing. Sadly, after trying out the Shield, dual shock 4, and the new One controller, holding the WiiU controller felt like a very cheap toy along side it's competition.

I know this doesn't matter to a child my sons age, but to an adult consumer, the value is just not there for what is offered on a whole. I was planning to maybe buy my son a WiiU for Christmas, but unless a 200 dollar deal pops up, that aint happening. The new 2DS is a much better purchase for him overall, and a waaaaaaaaayyyyyy better deal price wise.

I used to work in a retail warehouse years ago, and the buyer in the kids division used to take items that weren't selling for lets say 29.99 at the stores and put new tags on them at 39.99, then cross out the higher price, and say they are now on sale for 29.99. Guess what happened, some consumers who didn't shop there on a regular basis(which was no one, as it's vegas and 99% of our business was tourist), actually thought they where getting a good deal, but it wasn't, it was just a HUGE mind fuck!

If this is the best "N" can come up with, their in worse trouble than I thought. The least they could do is offer a "bundle" set, that would make 300 a no brainer. Add some killer download games that equal 100+ dollars, then throw in a pro controller and maybe some e-shop credits. This current deal SUCKS!

Chris

As predicted , it looks like Nintendo are dropping the price just before the PS4 and Xbox One releases.  At least they are predictable

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/28/nintendo-wii-u-price-drop/
They didn't need to do that with the Wii. Sounds like if it ain't cheap, it's not gonna sell shit. Marketing is all about value creation, and when you start to cheapen your products because you can't make value out of your price, you are in a dead zone.

I heard the basic model was getting phased out when I picked up my premium a few months ago.

Not wanting to rub salt into any wounds or anything, but I feel I got a touch with the offer HMV were running when I picked up mine. Premium bundled with ZombieU for £199. Seems a great offer still. This $50 price drop doesn't compare.

I did have to trek around a few branches to pick one up though as were selling like hot cakes.

Hopefully better sale deal wills come round again in HMV, Asda and the likes

D/L that Duck Tales remake the other day but not got into it yet, hopefully over the weekend get a little play of that

Yes the Wii U turns out to be a dud with the only unique feature was having the console to tele to video handheld aspect. Now that is becoming commonplace via the PS3--PS4//PS VITA connection and of course the Shield's PC streaming.

I did like the way you could connect the Gameboy Advance with the GameCube though...Game Boy player was it??

Personally I would have loved if Nintendo just came out with a handheld looking like the Wii U one but with more power perhaps. 

Oh yes and I don't know if this was mentioned but the speaker is mono and only stereo with earphones. :huh:

Last edited:
50 bucks? That's it?

Does Nintendo think I'm retarded? This is beyond insulting to a long time fan and reeks of desperation. This would be kind of decent if I could get the "basic" bundle, but that is no longer available. 

So they took the cheaper model and slowly fazed it out(not telling anyone BTW), so now the option for a 249.99 system is GONE! WTF "N"?

I didn't want a WiiU for 300 last year, so why would I want one this year at the same price? This is the worst Jedi Mind Trick I've ever seen! If money was a consumer issue(which is is currently for millions of people), and if I didn't buy the basic bundle at 300 last year, why would I buy the deluxe this year at 300? For some cheap stands, Nintendoland, and useless larger memory?

The extra added items in the deluxe bundle are nice, but not necessary.They cost Nintendo pennies to add in, and now they are pretty much selling the WiiU for what they did last year. I always planned to get the basic bundle, unless they ever ran a deal price wise that made the deluxe more inviting(black friday deals and such). If the basic bundle was still around, I may have considered getting one at 250, but more than likely I would have held out for a 200 holiday deal, but at least it would have been on my radar.

I got a chance to play Bayonetta 2 today, and it was awesome, but not enough for me to buy a WiiU at it's current pricing. Sadly, after trying out the Shield, dual shock 4, and the new One controller, holding the WiiU controller felt like a very cheap toy along side it's competition.

I know this doesn't matter to a child my sons age, but to an adult consumer, the value is just not there for what is offered on a whole. I was planning to maybe buy my son a WiiU for Christmas, but unless a 200 dollar deal pops up, that aint happening. The new 2DS is a much better purchase for him overall, and a waaaaaaaaayyyyyy better deal price wise.

I used to work in a retail warehouse years ago, and the buyer in the kids division used to take items that weren't selling for lets say 29.99 at the stores and put new tags on them at 39.99, then cross out the higher price, and say they are now on sale for 29.99. Guess what happened, some consumers who didn't shop there on a regular basis(which was no one, as it's vegas and 99% of our business was tourist), actually thought they where getting a good deal, but it wasn't, it was just a HUGE mind fuck!

If this is the best "N" can come up with, their in worse trouble than I thought. The least they could do is offer a "bundle" set, that would make 300 a no brainer. Add some killer download games that equal 100+ dollars, then throw in a pro controller and maybe some e-shop credits. This current deal SUCKS!

Chris
http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/consoles/the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-hd-wii-u-limited-edition-bundle/111373?gclid=COudmJm_o7kCFepFMgodDiAAVA&affid=9797&cid=ppc_60000004

?

The WW bundle is decent, for those who want or like WW, but I'm not one of those people.

This is another "old" game, being ported to what is supposed to be new tech. I would still rather have a basic unit for 50 dollars less, and let me buy my own game. 

WW was graphically impresive, but was a very "weak" Zelda game. My least favorite of the franchise, and the only game I've never finished was Majoras Mask. Which I did find to be very impresive up to the point I stpped playing.

Chris

It would be good if they could drop the tablet controller and drop the price even further. But of course they have themselves in a tight position now where that would almost be impossible to due to games released that use it.   Then again , there are not that many games that use it -that couldn't be reworked to not use it , perhaps it could be done and game companies compensated.   Just an idea.

I think this attitude from Nintendo sums up their problems in a nutshel (must read)l:  http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/29/nintendo-reggie-fils-aime-feels-meh/

The top comments were exactly what I thought when I read his words in the story.

Back