Nintendo Wii U

The new system update is out. Nothing special (and no speed improvements), except one thing that could have been real extra value, but sadly isn't:

Wii Games can now be played shown on the tablet screen, but you can't use the tablets controls ,you still need a Wiimote + sensor bar :wacko:

What usecases had they in mind ? Why isn't it possible to play games that support the classic controller ?

Source

The new system update is out. Nothing special (and no speed improvements), except one thing that could have been real extra value, but sadly isn't:

Wii Games can now be played shown on the tablet screen, but you can't use the tablets controls ,you still need a Wiimote + sensor bar :wacko:

What usecases had they in mind ? Why isn't it possible to play games that support the classic controller ?

Source
I'd have probably got myself one, if classic controller enabled Wii games could be played via the gamepad.. I read somewhere though, that this functionality could enable potential system exploits.. any substance to that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you need the sensor bar too - the WiiU GamePad actually has that built into it, but yeah, you do still need to use a Wii Remote. A bit odd, but I'm sure some users will find it useful.

Still glad I have my Wii U ... No other way of playing the great Mario games. New 3D Mario is getting bought

WOW, these guys are truly clueless. "N" where once industry leaders, and now every new thing they come up with just seems like NO thought has been put in to it, this is beyond sad to watch. Where the hell is a proper account system???? Damn, they need new blood in there so bad. Is it possible for share holders to remove the current hierarchy? I guess not, as I'm sure they would have done so years ago if it was possible.

I'm really no closer to getting a WiiU today, than I was a year ago. The new 3D land and Donkey Kong games look great, but at 300 for the WiiU, I just can't justify the purchase. I was really hoping for a 200-250 price drop, and if they had kept the basic bundle, that would have been possible. I guess these guys just thought the WiiU would sale like the Wii, and they could take the hit on hardware and make it up in software.......Boy, was that the worse idea EVER!

And like always, they had no plan to include 3rd parties in this debacle, and now they have a dying system treading water along side the true "Next Gen" consoles. Now there is no chance for 3rd party support to improve, and their own 1st party games are weak, and truly great 3D Mario and Zelda games are years away at best.

Unless I see a super deal during Black Friday, I'm getting my son a 2DS for Christmas and calling it a day.

Well, for anyone who's interested, there's a N Direct happening in a few hours, but I believe it's just to show holiday games for 3DS and WiiU, so don't look for anything new(but u may see a surprise if we get lucky).

Chris

EDIT:Well, DK Tropical Freeze is delayed in the US until February, so there's one less reason for me to get the WiiU this year :(

Nintendo will end like Sega in the long run.

Someday, we will see Zelda- and Mario-games on a Sony console.

So I've gotten a bit more then 2 dungeons into Wind Waker, and I'm really enjoying it. Now that I'm OK with the artstyle after the NDS games, this game really is as amazing as people claimed it would be. The game does have very similar puzzles that are done the same way as other Zelda games, but I've also seen a few where it completely makes me rethink video games and puzzles are solved in a way I haven't seen in a game before, let alone a Zelda title. I must say, I'm rather impressed. Keep on keeping on Nintendo

So I've gotten a bit more then 2 dungeons into Wind Waker, and I'm really enjoying it. Now that I'm OK with the artstyle after the NDS games, this game really is as amazing as people claimed it would be. The game does have very similar puzzles that are done the same way as other Zelda games, but I've also seen a few where it completely makes me rethink video games and puzzles are solved in a way I haven't seen in a game before, let alone a Zelda title. I must say, I'm rather impressed. Keep on keeping on Nintendo
I shared your opinion until I got to about halfway through, and then I had to force myself to complete the game. Graphically, it's just about the best thing "N" has ever done, but the game gets very "lazy" and "boring"later on, and is filled with repetition and padding to extend the quest. For me personally, it's about the weakest game in the series(well, except for Zelda 2 maybe).

I would recommend everyone play it at least once, as it does offer a very unique experience at the outset, but doesn't live up to the potential in the long run sadly. 

Chris

It's actually been streamlined a bit for the HD release. The fetchquest at the end is apparently not as tedious in this iteration :)

I liked the original one, but am not sold on buying the remake to play it again.

I shared your opinion until I got to about halfway through, and then I had to force myself to complete the game. Graphically, it's just about the best thing "N" has ever done, but the game gets very "lazy" and "boring"later on, and is filled with repetition and padding to extend the quest. For me personally, it's about the weakest game in the series(well, except for Zelda 2 maybe).

I would recommend everyone play it at least once, as it does offer a very unique experience at the outset, but doesn't live up to the potential in the long run sadly. 

Chris
well i dont wonna hear that! its been very much an enjoyment so far, much to my surprise as i put it down before i even picked it up when it came out for the gamecube. the art style just pissed me off at that age i guess

Chris
well i dont wonna hear that! its been very much an enjoyment so far, much to my surprise as i put it down before i even picked it up when it came out for the gamecube. the art style just pissed me off at that age i guess
Well, like B-ZaR has stated, they supposedly refined the issues the original had, but I don't know how well that has turned out? I hope it was done well, as this was a great game on many levels, but with "N" lately, there's just no way to know for sure without going through this again, and I have no plans to do the soon, but I may down the road, who knows?

Yeah, don't let my comments sway your opinion of the game(not that you would have anyway ;)  ), as there are many who find this to be the best game of the series, and others who think it's weak like me, and others who rate it in between. I think this title has the greatest range of reviews much like Majoras Mask does.

I look forward to your review when your done, as I would like to see how it's held up over the years. Hopefully someone here who played it the first time around, can also add to the conversation and say for sure how well the games been "tuned up", if at all.

I'm enjoying it - I rushed through it on the Cube, taking my time trying to do everything.

Loiking the Tingle bottles to trade photos for the Nintendo Figurine gallery thing.
I think if I had rushed through the GC version, I would have liked it more. I tried to do everything, and that's what killed the flow for me.

Chris

just one question, are the treasure chests you pull up from the sea always 50 measly rupees? 

WOW, "N" has really lost their minds! 

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/04/wii-mini-arriving-in-us-with-packed-in-mario-kart-wii/

This reeks of desperation. They are never going to sale the WiiU as long as there is this market confusion and a cheaper Wii alternative. This Wii is all about useless in regards to what it can do, and the Wii brand name is already in the toilet due to the WiiU name not being distinctive enough. How many of these Wii Mini's do they think they will sell? I'm sure more than the WiiU, but at what cost.

Chris

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/04/wii-mini-arriving-in-us-with-packed-in-mario-kart-wii/

This reeks of desperation. They are never going to sale the WiiU as long as there is this market confusion and a cheaper Wii alternative. This Wii is all about useless in regards to what it can do, and the Wii brand name is already in the toilet due to the WiiU name not being distinctive enough. How many of these Wii Mini's do they think they will sell? I'm sure more than the WiiU, but at what cost.

Chris
May as well, I don't know why this thing was constrained to Canada in the first place. I have to believe this was the plan all along because AFAIK this model even has a newer revision on the CPU/GPU chips..

This is pretty normal practice too. The top-loader NES was released years after the SNES was out in North America. PSOne was released simultaneously with PS2. GBMicro was released after DS, although was hardly a cheaper model. A new cheaper hardware revision of the PS2 was released around the time PS3 was. Other followups were released the next year.

Chris
May as well, I don't know why this thing was constrained to Canada in the first place. I have to believe this was the plan all along because AFAIK this model even has a newer revision on the CPU/GPU chips..

This is pretty normal practice too. The top-loader NES was released years after the SNES was out in North America. PSOne was released simultaneously with PS2. GBMicro was released after DS, although was hardly a cheaper model. A new cheaper hardware revision of the PS2 was released around the time PS3 was. Other followups were released the next year.
The one thing most of those system had going for them, was a successful follow up system, or a very distinctive name difference and no confusion at retail. If the WiiU was selling great, like the SNES and PS2 did, no problem.

The cheap alternatives mentioned above had NO chance of taking business away from the newest systems on the market. The Wii Mini has a very good chance of outselling the WiiU this holiday, and that's clearly not good.

Chris 

I agree that the Wii Mini may outsell Wii U this holiday season. But that alone doesn't mean that the Mini will be cannibalizing Wii U's sales to any real degree.. If people still don't understand the difference between Wii and Wii U then they were probably never going to buy a Wii U to begin with.

Back