No picture with PCX and SNES emu, only stripes...

Para-noir

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I got my Pandora this week, but I have the following problem with the emus PCSX rearmed

and SNES9X4P (both latest version), I get no picture when I try to start a game.

I see there only colored stripes on the screen (see attached) ... but I can hear the sound

from the game. Mupen+ and gpSP works fine. Does anyone knows a solution or

what is the cause?

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1791.JPG

Never seen that before... and everything else works okay?

Seems like something is broken dealing with the fb display..

Outside of reflashing I haven't a clue.

It almost looks like the pandora is sending too large a resolution or values outside the norm, I would try doing a reflash and redownloading those 2 pnds. deleting the appdata folders for both wouldnt hurt either.

Also does this happen when you load a rom or when you first start the pnd?

edit: Nevermind just saw its when you load a ROM. I would try a few more roms from different sources. make sure they are clean rips, redownload them, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to cover all bases, where did you download the emulators from?

could be a munged library file though... I forget off the top of my head but there could be a difference between gpSP and snes9x/pcsx and how they render to the screen. I do recall something about using the tv out cable and having to set which frame buffer to capture. Do they all use the same frame buffer?

Never seen that before... and everything else works okay?

Yes, everything else is okay. There are no problems.

Outside of reflashing I haven't a clue.

I have updated to the latest firmware SuperZaxxon beta 5a. But the probme is the same.

It almost looks like the pandora is sending too large a resolution or values outside the norm, I would try doing a reflash and redownloading those 2 pnds. deleting the appdata folders for both wouldnt hurt either.

Done, but its always the same :(

I downloaded them from http://repo.openpandora.org/

Its so frustrating because gpSP and Mugen are working.

I noticed when I start the pandora i can see the stripes for a second while booting!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqwmtyrxlJo

I dont know what to do, I think its a hardware problem.

It can't be a hardware fault, because everything else is fine?

Try some other PSX and SNES emulators out and see what happens then.

It can't be a hardware fault, because everything else is fine?

Try some other PSX and SNES emulators out and see what happens then.

Do those two emulators use Notaz's scaling? Maybe only certain instructions/functions on the soc are defective.

Wow, lots of weird unexplainable problems lately..

All of mentioned emus use the same method of scaling, only aspect differs, still it doesn't make sense. Some rare SoC or LCD defect perhaps?

Well, with over 700 new units shipped out during the last months, some weird stuff is to be expected, I guess.

How does scaling work?

Is the LCD even affected by the scaling?

The SoC scales and sends an upscaled picture to the LCD... so is there something different for the LCD than a normal picture?

It more sounds like the SoC... is there some kind of testing we could do (scaling various resolutions, etc.)?

Yeah, OMAP does the scaling, but maybe enabling scaling has some side effects, like affecting pixel clock slightly or something..

That corruption during boot is an indication that LCD is different, my early prototype with low grade LCD does that too (much more severely), but it doesn't prevent scaling here, never seen that. Don't know about testing, there are far too many scaling possibilities (anything in ~0.25x-8x range for both width and height).

Para-noir, you can try to run PCSX and in Options->Display there is "setup custom scaler", there when you get the display loss, press right and down on the d-pad multiple times, maybe it will start displaying again eventually.

Done, but its always the same :(

I noticed when I start the pandora i can see the stripes for a second while booting!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqwmtyrxlJo

I dont know what to do, I think its a hardware problem.

It's odd because it doesn't happen at the bootloader, it looks like it is happening right as linux is starting up. If it were hardware I would think it would happen all the time. If it were a PC I would say it was the video driver.

Maybe the update is being corrupted in some way. Try redownloading the latest 5a SuperZaxxon unzipping it to the root of your SD and check the md5 sum for the rootfs.img. The installer checks these values but it wouldn't hurt to check manually.

Also if you can try a different SD card when you reflash. The card may be writing properly but could be throwing errors when read.

If you are on windows use this freeware: http://www.winmd5.com/

You can use the md5 program to verify too, it should equal

Code:
677e0db9879f5572b5e2f347f4b630f4

If everything checks out then reflash the unit again.

I downloaded them from http://repo.openpandora.org/

Its so frustrating because gpSP and Mugen are working.

Have you tried different versions of the ROMS you are trying to play? Maybe try the PAL if using NTSC or vice versa.

And how many different ROMS have you tried?

Para-noir, you can try to run PCSX and in Options->Display there is "setup custom scaler", there when you get the display loss, press right and down on the d-pad multiple times, maybe it will start displaying again eventually.

When I go to "setup custom scaler" I get no problems and there is no loss. I changed the resolution but when i start a game its still the same problem.

Maybe the update is being corrupted in some way. Try redownloading the latest 5a SuperZaxxon unzipping it to the root of your SD and check the md5 sum for the rootfs.img. The installer checks these values but it wouldn't hurt to check manually.

Also if you can try a different SD card when you reflash. The card may be writing properly but could be throwing errors when read.

If you are on windows use this freeware: http://www.winmd5.com/

You can use the md5 program to verify too, it should equal

677e0db9879f5572b5e2f347f4b630f4

If everything checks out then reflash the unit again.

I checked that, its equal.

Have you tried different versions of the ROMS you are trying to play? Maybe try the PAL if using NTSC or vice versa.

And how many different ROMS have you tried?

I tried about 10 different roms, same result.

Now I installed the emulators psx4pandora and PocketSnes and tested the roms: it works!

I'm confused now, where lies the problem? The scaling in SNES9x4P and pcsx rearmed?

That corruption during boot is an indication that LCD is different, my early prototype with low grade LCD does that too (much more severely), but it doesn't prevent scaling here, never seen that. Don't know about testing, there are far too many scaling possibilities (anything in ~0.25x-8x range for both width and height).

Well, we are already using a new batch of LCDs (about 200 new ones used up so far), but these are all Grade A ones (or should be) and are the exact same brand... hmmm...

I've seen this before and I just replaced the unit, I assumed it was a power related issue as the LCDs sometimes do that in low power circumstances (faulty battery, connector PSU etc.).

Okay, that means I have to send it back to ED for replacement.

Cant wait to get it back already.. :(

These stripes usually indicate a fault with the display, seen it too many times on other devices.

Back