Noiz2sa V3

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
Sometime around a week ago I first tried noiz2sa and liked it much. Great game with some performance issues. So I thought it needed a better port, just like some people here. Quick look at the source revealed that this was just a quick port and many things could be done.

So here it is, noiz2sa V3. With performance increase of ~50-100%, depending on the state of game.

I have read some complains somewhere that the game slows down when there are many bullets on screen, but this appears to be normal behavior, to make the game easier. But there is -nowait option which disables this (see readme for other options).

Unfortunately it is still not fullspeed, the code is full of division and float operations, Kenta (the original author) was obviously not thinking about ARM chips when he was writing this. That division probably can be eliminated, just like float ops, but this needs some gfx math knowledge, and this is not something I am good at.

I am not sure I haven't broken anything, report if you find some bugs.

Complete changelog:
  • Completely removed SDL, now using minimal version of rlyeh's minimal lib
  • Made some use of GP2X's hardware blitter
  • Added Squidge's MMU hack
  • Added some asm optimizations
  • Changed some code not to use division and floats, added some other optimizations
  • Compiled with gcc's profiling options
  • Added fps counter option
  • Added additional L + R + START exit shortcut for for people without stick button.
Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried much homebrew yet but since you've recommended this I thought I'd fire it up. Its great fun and the soundtrack is excellent, thanks for spending the time to improve the experience.

Later
Reesy

Awesome... I was really waiting for this game to run better to be really fun!

Have you thought about porting some other games by kenta cho too?
Here is a link to the linux ports:
http://www.emhsoft.com/

Sadly most of them need to be "rewritten" in C since there isn't a D compiler for the ARM platform AFAIK.

Another wonder by Notaz!
Everything you touch seems to turn into gold! I'm going to try it immediatelly!

nice! an icon! (looks a little like mine:p)
and WOW! now noiz is fun!

(super mini review, cuz I'm busy: 8.5/10 :D)

EDIT: if you want to play the old version, just underclock this one to 100mhz :lol:

Thanks Notaz, it's always good to see stuff getting improved.
Julius some of those other games do look very cool. It's too bad if they can't be ported easily :( .

Well, this is surprising. I thought the game was pretty decent in the state it was in and could not get much better, but this is excellent.

Anyway, if you are continuing development on this game then I do have one feature request, I would love to see a setting that would allow me to change the background colors or at least add more contrast to them.

Julius posted on Feb 16 2007 at 10:56 PM said:

Parsec 47
Z-lock
Gunroar
rRootage

All seem to be like Noiz2sa. I wonder if it is the same engine with just different levels?

Thanks Notaz, Noiz is now very playable great work :)

DaveC posted on Feb 16 2007 at 11:22 PM said:

Parsec 47
Z-lock
Gunroar
rRootage

All seem to be like Noiz2sa. I wonder if it is the same engine with just different levels?
No, they're all fairly different. Well, as different as bullet hell shmups can be from one another, I guess. He tends to lean towards similar style abstract graphics in each game, though, since he admits he's not much of an artist.

rRootage is worth checking out, it's basically all boss fights but it has some really intense bullet patterns and 4 different game modes that pay homage to his favourite shooters. If you're a shmup fan it's worth installing on your PC (or XBox, if you've got a modded one.)

Ravnos posted on Feb 17 2007 at 02:18 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 16 2007 at 11:22 PM said:

Parsec 47
Z-lock
Gunroar
rRootage

No, they're all fairly different. Well, as different as bullet hell shmups can be from one another, I guess. He tends to lean towards similar style abstract graphics in each game, though, since he admits he's not much of an artist.

rRootage is worth checking out, it's basically all boss fights but it has some really intense bullet patterns and 4 different game modes that pay homage to his favourite shooters. If you're a shmup fan it's worth installing on your PC (or XBox, if you've got a modded one.)

rRootage looks like it would be a great one to port to the GP2X.

enjoying this great update to one of my favorite homebrew shooters. Noiz2sa V3 is awesome!! :D

DaveC posted on Feb 17 2007 at 06:22 AM said:

Parsec 47
Z-lock
Gunroar
rRootage

They're by ABA Games, a guy called Kenta Cho. The programming language is called BulletML. I'd really recommend that people try out these games, I've got pretty much all of them installed on my PC, amazing graphics and classic gameplay.

Thanks for the update to Noiz2sa, probably the longest standing survivor on my homebrew SD card!
:D

halo9 posted on Feb 17 2007 at 05:33 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 17 2007 at 06:22 AM said:
Parsec 47
Z-lock
Gunroar
rRootage

They're by ABA Games, a guy called Kenta Cho. The programming language is called BulletML. I'd really recommend that people try out these games, I've got pretty much all of them installed on my PC, amazing graphics and classic gameplay.

BulletML is a mark-up language that defines the barrage of bullets. The actual games were written in the programming language D (most of them, anyway).

Give TUMIKI Fighters a try, too. Cute, fun shooter from ABA Games.

Back