Nokia Joining The Arm Party?

I can't trust a site that talks of "Cortex A9 Sparrow"... Sparrow has nothing to do with A9 except it's an AR?v7 CPU :blink:

There's already mention of this in a thread elsewhere, and many of Nokia's devices use ARM based chipsets.

I've seen a lot of reports confuse Cortex-A9 and Sparrow. I guess they're thrown off because Swift and Sparrow are both going to be Cortex chips. Then again, probably all CPUs ARM intends on releasing for a while will be Cortex something or other.

EDIT: I was guessing that Swift ended up being Cortex-M0, and it looks like I was right? I wonder if Sparrow will be Cortex-R0 ;p

Exophase said:
EDIT: I was guessing that Swift ended up being Cortex-M0, and it looks like I was right? I wonder if Sparrow will be Cortex-R0 ;p
Don't bet on Cortex-Rn, you'll lose money :)
Hint: Sparrow is supposed to be used in place of one A9 core when power matters more...

Last edited by a moderator:
We will see a lot of these in the next 2 years, the move to ARM will be pretty fast I think.

Then MS will finally confirm windows7 arm (which exists).

Indeed, we should see many of them. I just hope the switch to Cortex-A9 based SoC will be fast, I want a consumer device with A9, I'm tired of A9 dev board :)

@Exophase: Cortex-An is highly probable.

craigix said:
We will see a lot of these in the next 2 years, the move to ARM will be pretty fast I think.

Then MS will finally confirm windows7 arm (which exists).

AHA! I'VE FIGURED IT OUT!!! THAT'S why Microsoft contacted you guys - they were wondering about Win7 ARM working on Pandora (or getting development hardware for testing). How else would you definitively say that it exists?

</theory>

EDIT: And I thought that AA/AB/B0 stuff was a hexadecimal joke...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back