This Would Be Cool...

HackModford

http://www.iphone-hacks.com/2010/03/01/rumor-apple-to-allow-iphone-os-on-third-party-devices/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+iphone-hacks/bfYt+(iPhone-Hacks.com)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Wouldn't it be nice to have the iphoneOS on the pandora? Okay I'm not thinking about apps but I would like to have the "iPod" app on my pandora... or just use the iphoneOS as my media player...

I don't think it would ever happen but what do you think?

HackModford said:
http://www.iphone-hacks.com/2010/03/01/rumor-apple-to-allow-iphone-os-on-third-party-devices/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+iphone-hacks/bfYt+(iPhone-Hacks.com)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Wouldn't it be nice to have the iphoneOS on the pandora? Okay I'm not thinking about apps but I would like to have the "iPod" app on my pandora... or just use the iphoneOS as my media player...

I don't think it would ever happen but what do you think?
nope. never happens. would indeed be nice though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a smart move by Apple. They've learned from History.

Okay, let's not get ahead of ourselves on this one. Contrary to the title of the rumor post given, Apple looking to bring up iPhone OS on new devices definitely doesn't imply third party ones. I think Apple would have to be crazy to do this, and it'd certainly be contrary to the chained hardware/software business model they've adhered to staunchly for their entire existence.

On the off chance that they do end up making iPhone's OS available expect it to cost a ridiculous amount to license, and for there to be a substantial amount of work involved in developing new drivers, especially for items like SGX that aren't open.

Exophase said:
Okay, let's not get ahead of ourselves on this one. Contrary to the title of the rumor post given, Apple looking to bring up iPhone OS on new devices definitely doesn't imply third party ones. I think Apple would have to be crazy to do this, and it'd certainly be contrary to the chained hardware/software business model they've adhered to staunchly for their entire existence.

On the off chance that they do end up making iPhone's OS available expect it to cost a ridiculous amount to license, and for there to be a substantial amount of work involved in developing new drivers, especially for items like SGX that aren't open.

He knew you'd hate it¡

Kicker said:
He knew you'd hate it¡

If iPhone OS were on Pandora (and apps actually worked in some large capacity) then it'd be a huge win for the platform. I just don't think it's gonna happen.

I'm not knocking your "It would be nice".
I've just never used an iPhone, so what would be nice about it, if your excluding the apps?
I've seen that you scroll icons.
This isn't a flame, just an honest question.

Exophase said:
I think Apple would have to be crazy to do this, and it'd certainly be contrary to the chained hardware/software business model they've adhered to staunchly for their entire existence.
That business model worked so well for the Macintosh that at one point their company was only months away from bankruptcy.
(It's hard to remember now, but even after the iMac saved their bacon, their whole company was pretty marginal until the iPod came out.)

That's what I meant from "learning from history". If they're not careful, Android is going smash their early lead, just like Windows smashed MacOS.

It definitely would make sense for Apple to do this. License revenue plus revenue through their appstore stuff they'd make available to third party devices. I also agree with VRAndy regarding Android becoming too dangerous for Apple.

VRAndy said:
That business model worked so well for the Macintosh that at one point their company was only months away from bankruptcy.

(It's hard to remember now, but even after the iMac saved their bacon, their whole company was pretty marginal until the iPod came out.)

That's what I meant from "learning from history". If they're not careful, Android is going smash their early lead, just like Windows smashed MacOS.

And now they've been consistently raping every new market they've entered with it, with their Mac market share remaining healthy. It seems like not learning from history all this time worked out well for them too, even with MacOS X. Assuming that Apple's hardware/software business model is what contributed to their economic hardships over a decade ago is facetious reasoning.

It's not impossible for Android to still overcome iPhone, but if those Droid Does commercials have indicated anything to me it'll be because of several technical reasons and not because of the number of phones that provide the platform. People are more than happy to buy Apple hardware to get their Apple software so long as Apple is willing to remain at least vaguely caught up with current technology, which their iPhone development paths so far seem to assure.

Until there are any signs of the opposite being true, selling iPhone OS off doesn't make any sense. They'd make more money on the hardware + OS than they would on the OS alone, and offering even the slightest bit of hardware variation outside of their control introduces several new technical challenges. I doubt OS will be a serious user option for phones any time soon, so it's not like they'd be able to sell it on shelves.

mali said:
License revenue plus revenue through their appstore stuff they'd make available to third party devices.

Plus less iPhones sold, plus diluting a brand appeal that relies on their particular sleek design...

Look at it this way, they probably make $100+ per unit more selling phones than they would selling OSes. So how many more OSes do you think they'd sell this way? The wins would be from people who wouldn't have bought iPhone at all until it was available on different hardware, the losses would be from people who would have bought an iPhone were it the only option but are now buying the hardware from another vendor. I think that the latter far outweighs the former. So unless the average person spends several hundred on the app store between hardware purchases I just don't see this working out in their favor.

mali said:
It definitely would make sense for Apple to do this. License revenue plus revenue through their appstore stuff they'd make available to third party devices. I also agree with VRAndy regarding Android becoming too dangerous for Apple.
yes its becoming a real enemy by apple.
But apple is not gonna give away its apps and games.
no way. i know apple to good for that. i read apple news sites every day, 2 times.

Exophase said:
Look at it this way, they probably make $100+ per unit more selling phones than they would selling OSes. So how many more OSes do you think they'd sell this way? The wins would be from people who wouldn't have bought iPhone at all until it was available on different hardware, the losses would be from people who would have bought an iPhone were it the only option but are now buying the hardware from another vendor. I think that the latter far outweighs the former. So unless the average person spends several hundred on the app store between hardware purchases I just don't see this working out in their favor.
They'd lose some iPhone owners, but these people would still pay for the OS through the other manufacturer and they would continue to buy apps. The problem is, that we don't know how much money Apple makes with their hardware, so we don't know how much more licensees and appstore users Apple needs to overweight the loss. The fanboys will continue to buy Apple hardware, I suppose. It really could make sense from an economical point of view, if content is the main factor.

I have an iPhone, but the only thing for me that it will offer over the Pandora is tethering (which is down to the hardware mainly) and thousands of iFart apps.

This idea seems very unlikely, but if you're really desparate for the Ipod look on your pandora you could port LMP-NG (DS Ipod clone, skinnable) the source code is GPL and on the main site. For those who used Lick's Media Player, this is the same thing taken up by someone else when he left the scene.

I'd put it in the port request thread, but I don't really care that much about the Ipod look.

Only 2 alpha (Which works fine) has skins supported, so use that one!
http://www.cecm.usp.br/~lucas/lmp-ng/

Didn't most people assume that Apple is looking for someone to work on a new Apple device to run a modified iPhone OS, like a new Apple TV?

It seems to me that Apple is going the other way than opening up availability of the iPhone OS. I think PA Semi's job is to design and build custom, optimized chipsets out of available components (ARM, PowerVR, et al.) with built in anti-hacking measures. Apple is going to avoid getting into the problem they had with the Motorola PPC CPU, by relying on the market to provide components instead of relying on one company's CPU design, which can't compete against the market as a whole. ARM and Intel are basically going all out for this market space; ARM is being very aggressive in promoting its components(as the Open Pandora itself shows), and Apple got a lot of performance out of the ARM-architecture CPU.

And, Apple can avoid another confrontation like the one they had with Psystar by making the iPhone OS incapable of running on anything except Apple hardware. Their goal is to make a family friendly, semi-closed environment for personal electronics, entertainment, and digital content -- like Disney and Nintendo, but working with what they have already built up. Apple can probably do this because it has so much IP in multitouch technology and a huge design advantage, as well as a huge amount of money and a large user population who can run apps on any one of three devices so far: the iPhone, the Touch, and the iPad (when it's released).

Anyway, that's my current Apple conspiracy theory.

Gotta admit the iPhone OSX is very *perfect*. Android is a big threat, but Android runs on java so less appealing imo. But Android also has a big advantage over iPhone as basing on the java platform. Its easy to develop and Apps are "cross-supported" (as in if it worked on an Android phone, it should work on all/most other Android phones).
I want this, but to run natively so we can get Apps that really push the hardware (meaning it could have more functionality).

I just wish some other big names would enter the MeeGo Project (namely Palm and Blackberry cause theyre about to go bankrupt). Yeah, I'm really looking forward to MeeGo (like I was to Moblin) and just want them to make an OS as good as the iPhone (with all of its sleekness) except you know open and supporting new ARM platform AND Atom with new mobile graphic chips (SGX, ION etc).

Intel + Nokia have a good shot but will probably slow down important releases (eg MultiTouch Support) to save their business assets. I mean think of a world were you have your Pandy with "iPhoneOS perfection" and you could do word processing, emails, IM, games etc and you can share your digital information readily to anyone with a device that runs MeeGo??.

Hey N900, nice apps?
Yoink!
Thanks this works great on my Pandora!
What's that, Nexus One?
Thanks for the games!
This isn't running fast enough to be enjoyable.
I'll just upload it to my Tegra 2 netbook. Sweet!
Hey Phil, try this on your Atom netbook!

Back