This Would Be Cool...

MonkeyChops

NO! I don't play basketball
Video Transmitter
princeton-video-transmitter_1.jpg

It would be easier than trying to reach around the back of your tv to plug in your pandora, but I was thinking it would be really cool if it ran on a battery, You could take it to a restaurant and broadcast your movie or game that you are playing to the nearest tv. People would be like "WTF!? Mario!? :blink: I'm trying to watch the damn game! :angry: "

MonkeyChops said:
Video Transmitter

It would be easier than trying to reach around the back of your tv to plug in your pandora, but I was thinking it would be really cool if it ran on a battery, You could take it to a restaurant and broadcast your movie or game that you are playing to the nearest tv. People would be like "WTF!? Mario!? :blink: I'm trying to watch the damn game! :angry: "

In the UK TV transmitters like that don't transmit on normal TV frequencies. I think they use microwave, but don't quote me. The point is that they transmit to a matched receiver not directly to the TV, so you still have to reach around the back. If it did transmit directly to the TV everyone for about 100m is going want to see you about the game.

I'm sure that a transmitter/receiver set could be useful at home though. Then you'd only reach around the back of your TV once to install it.

Last edited by a moderator:
MonkeyChops said:
Video Transmitter

Quite a nice idea :) You could connect a 12V battery pack to the DC in. If the transmitter doesn't need 12V, you could rip out the regulator and feed it directly with the voltage it needs.

In the UK TV transmitters like that don't transmit on normal TV frequencies. I think they use microwave, but don't quote me. The point is that they transmit to a matched receiver not directly to the TV, so you still have to reach around the back. If it did transmit directly to the TV everyone for about 100m is going want to see you about the game.

I'm sure that a transmitter/receiver set could be useful at home though. Then you'd only reach around the back of your TV once to install it.

The description says, that it transmits in the UHF band, so no extra receiver is needed. The output will be relatively low, and nobody actually uses terestrial non digital any more, at least in germany.

Wookiee said:

All the ones I've seen in the UK operate at 2.4Ghz, so they are affected by everything else that uses the same band, such as Wifi and Microwave ovens.

That however definitely transmits directly to a TV, as it has dip switches to state which channel you want to output the signal over. Not sure how legal that would be in the UK.

Squidge said:
Wookiee said:

All the ones I've seen in the UK operate at 2.4Ghz, so they are affected by everything else that uses the same band, such as Wifi and Microwave ovens.

That however definitely transmits directly to a TV, as it has dip switches to state which channel you want to output the signal over. Not sure how legal that would be in the UK.

UK TVs are UHF. So to use 2.4GHz you need a transmitter and separate receiver to convert back to UHF to watch the picture [yes most have 4 channels]. You are right about the frequency 2.4GHz. I've stopped using one of these kits as it interfered with my Wi-Fi!

Point I was trying to make [badly] was that broadcasting on a normal UHF frequency [even at low power] is likely to interfere with more than one TV and make you generally quite unpopular. ;)

Wookiee said:
Point I was trying to make [badly] was that broadcasting on a normal UHF frequency [even at low power] is likely to interfere with more than one TV and make you generally quite unpopular. ;)
Unpopular and also the envy of everyone. :D It would be a fun toy to mess with but not very practical I suppose. Kind of expensive for a practical joke...

Here's an idea, don't like whats on the tv at the bar? get a tv tunner for the pandora and put on the show of your choice... then hide the pandora quick :ph34r:

MonkeyChops said:
Here's an idea, don't like whats on the tv at the bar? get a tv tunner for the pandora and put on the show of your choice... then hide the pandora quick :ph34r:
Now you've got me thinking of a tiny bluetooth remote control, running mplayer with lirc.

There are some interesting articles on the web about using bluetooth mobile phones to control devices. That would be pretty nifty.

Bluetooth Remote Control App

Whilst I'm quite sure of the legalities in the UKof this particular one (i.e. completely illegal unless you can persuade the government to give you a license), I'm unsure why it would have to interfere with other channels. Surely you'd just set it to transmit in the middle of one of those big blank spaces in the tuning range, rather than across the whole thing?

Sure, it might interfere with equipment that does transmit on that frequency, if there is any, but I don't see why it would push out other channels in favour of itself...

Or is the system really that fragile?

only broadcasts to 45, 48, 50, and 53 on UHF

in the US as of feb 2009 ... that part of the TV band will probably be going to some other use probably long range wireless broadband faster cellular networks (I happen to like the first idea better)

cb88 said:
only broadcasts to 45, 48, 50, and 53 on UHF

in the US as of feb 2009 ... that part of the TV band will probably be going to some other use probably long range wireless broadband faster cellular networks (I happen to like the first idea better)

Nice selection. In the UK 50 is BBC1, I believe. And I'm pretty sure BBC2 is 53 (Could be 56 though...)

Back