This Would Be Cool...

The one area where Apple's iPhone OS system isn't closed is that anyone (who owns an Apple computer) can develop apps and submit them to the app store for approval and feedback. In that sense it's a good platform for independent developers. The games, for instance, don't require ESRB ratings, which evidently add to the cost of game development and favor larger game development companies over individual, independent developers. It's true that the iPhone OS isn't easy to mess around in, but anyone who is able to work within the system has a path for distributing potentially millions of copies of their work. And I'm not sure you can have it both ways -- that is, have an open, hackable system that also is a way to sell lots of software.

I agree that Android is closest to the iPhone OS at this point, especially given the popularity of Google services and the optimization of Google services to the smartphone platform.

Regarding MeeGo, I was at first a little confused about it, but then I read a story about how the Moorestown CPU isn't powerful enough to run Windows, which is probably a terrible choice for a MID anyway. With MeeGo, Intel has a mobile OS to offer to any phone or MID manufacturer who wants to use Moorestown instead of an ARM-architecture CPU. Given what I've seen of that super-long LG smartphone that sports a Moorestown, I think we'll be seeing more MeeGo devices in about nine months or so.

Just a note on Android, with the NDK it is possible to write an entire game in native c++, and have a tiny stub in Java to run it. I know because I have done exactly this. It is officially supported, and only works on ARM devices, but last time I checked, ALL Android handsets (phones) were ARM based so it's all good. They have said as when other architectures take off they can start bringing out NDKs for them too. It isn't the best development environment in the world (using the NDK), but it really isn't that bad - it is better than somewhat recent commercial consoles have been (even for professional developers).

Steve

Back