Non-graphical boot?

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
Can I boot the pandora, and have it just display the boot messages instead of a splash screen? I like watching them. Oh, and can I make it so it drops me to a CLI, and I have to type startx to start the GUI? I like Linux that way.

I've been wanting a non-quiet boot as well.

Speaking of this sort of thing, what boot manager (I have a feeling that's the wrong word) does the Pandora use? If it's not using some fancy booting method, that is.

I've been wanting a non-quiet boot as well.

Speaking of this sort of thing, what boot manager (I have a feeling that's the wrong word) does the Pandora use? If it's not using some fancy booting method, that is.
I've no idea. I have not recieved mine yet. I'll tell you when I do, as I'll be getting it soon, I hope.

X64 is pretty much x86 with a few extensions. Don't quote me on that, though.

Create a file named autoboot.txt in root of FAT32/ext2 SD card with this content:

Code:
setenv bootargs ubi.mtd=4 ubi.mtd=3 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs rw rootflags=bulk_read vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K psplash=false

Place it into left slot and reboot.

X/xfce/minimenu is started by /etc/init.d/slim-init, remove symlinks from /etc/rcX.d if you want to run it manually (or use update-rc.d to do it for you).

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm not mistaken, most bootloaders for AMD64 run in either 32 or 16-bit mode. There isn't much point in a 64-bit bootloader, if you think about it.

Oh yeah! x86_64. I always see it shortened to x64, which is slightly confusing.

I think Microsoft invented it 'cause neither AMD64, x86_64 nor EM64T sounded good enough. <_<

I think Microsoft invented it 'cause neither AMD64, x86_64 nor EM64T sounded good enough. <_<
Seems like the sort of nonsensical thing Microsoft would do.

I remember being confused as hell when I heard about "x64"-- it's a lower number than 86. It makes no sense. Does that mean, then, that we've been using old, outdated 86-bit processors? Oooh, guys, I can't wait till we get to 8-bit! Can you? I dream one day of the zero-bit processor. (Oh look, i've found it! *holds up a rock*) >_>

I usually call it "x86_64" in type and "amd64" when speaking.

I personally don't like splash screens either, when I started using Linux they didn't exist. There is so much useful information on the Linux boot, geeky, but it is so great for trouble shooting. I always thought that every distro should have a gui that allows the splash screen to be turned off because when newbies need help sometimes if the splash screen wasn't on then they could see what was wrong on boot up and post it.

I personally don't like splash screens either, when I started using Linux they didn't exist. There is so much useful information on the Linux boot, geeky, but it is so great for trouble shooting. I always thought that every distro should have a gui that allows the splash screen to be turned off because when newbies need help sometimes if the splash screen wasn't on then they could see what was wrong on boot up and post it.
Windows has one of those, if you know where to look. I forget where it is, and now Windows 7 boots without the floaty colours and I can't change it. Not that I care, I like it this way.

Create a file named autoboot.txt in root of FAT32/ext2 SD card with this content:

Code:
setenv bootargs ubi.mtd=4 ubi.mtd=3 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs rw rootflags=bulk_read vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K psplash=false

Place it into left slot and reboot.

X/xfce/minimenu is started by /etc/init.d/slim-init, remove symlinks from /etc/rcX.d if you want to run it manually (or use update-rc.d to do it for you).
Thank you. I hope this works. I prefer listening to music without GUI running.

Back