[NOT PYRA] Intel NUC for x86 Pandora

That sounded like a reasonable idea to me. I think the real trick is streaming the audio and video to make it the Pyro more multi purpose without the Intel bulk in your hands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't even need to be streaming. Could be a simple dockport style cable. In fact i think amd is better set up to do something like this compared to intel. Imagine a kaveri or even beema pc, possibly the same size or smaller than the nuc. With a nice big interchangable 40,000mah battery attached. Connected via dockport to a 7 inch touch screen with integrated gaming controls. Running windows 8 and steamOS. Add in mantle support and you could be playing theif 4 and bf4 at 720p 60fps with decent battery life on the bus.

If you wanted to be really crafty, the touchscreen controller could be a standalone android gaming device with it's own battery when not connected to the backpack.

Obviously if you can get power consumption down. Maybe to something like a 45w apu and still have reasonable performance. Then battery requirements will lower significantly.

The closest device to the x86 handheld is razers edge. But it had way too many problems. Size, price and power were all lacking. I would really like to see a similar device running a more power efficient soc. Crystalwell and beema both come to mind.

^

maxresdefault.jpg

What with the annoying spam. There are I'm sure a few people who actually want to discuss this topic. Very childish.

I've read that limelight really doesn't fair well in direct comparison to shield streaming. No idea really did some good software optimization for that. As far as Crystalwell and nvidia, I think you would end up with something like razer edge. Much too high power consumption. If we could see an x86/Kepler soc. Like the k1 but x86 instead of Denver then we MI get have something really interesting.

I've read that limelight really doesn't fair well in direct comparison to shield streaming. No idea really did some good software optimization for that.
Yeah looks like it's still early days yet. http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01/13/hands-on-with-limelight-an-impressive-shield-game-streaming-clone-in-the-pre-alpha-stage/

As far as Crystalwell and nvidia, I think you would end up with something like razer edge. Much too high power consumption.
Agree.

If we could see an x86/Kepler soc. Like the k1 but x86 instead of Denver then we MI get have something really interesting.
This may come in handy. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00001ZWV7

Ok, i would like to preface this with this simply being an ideas thread. i'm in no way suggesting this should be the pyra or even that ED should have any part of it.

Now, the latest Intel NUCs are really nice. Still 4x4" and yet have way better intel Haswell chips in them. My thinking is this could be used as a good x86 Pandora type thing. Clamshell might be hard and it will probably be too pig to fit in one's pocket, but it just strikes me as having good potential. I'm loving my Nvidia Shield and will be more than happy to pick up a Pyra when they come out however I still feel this need to have an x86 device.

So, for those that are as interested in exploring the possibilities as I am, post away. For those that are not please just ignore this thread and do not troll. No need to have any negativity in this thread.

Esso
This interest me.  I have been considering putting a device together my self.  I am trying to figure out what parts to go with.  What were you thinking?  

Ok, i would like to preface this with this simply being an ideas thread. i'm in no way suggesting this should be the pyra or even that ED should have any part of it.

Now, the latest Intel NUCs are really nice. Still 4x4" and yet have way better intel Haswell chips in them. My thinking is this could be used as a good x86 Pandora type thing. Clamshell might be hard and it will probably be too pig to fit in one's pocket, but it just strikes me as having good potential. I'm loving my Nvidia Shield and will be more than happy to pick up a Pyra when they come out however I still feel this need to have an x86 device.

So, for those that are as interested in exploring the possibilities as I am, post away. For those that are not please just ignore this thread and do not troll. No need to have any negativity in this thread.

Esso
I was looking at the Bay Trail Z3770 SoC.  That one seems like the best possibility for a device close to the size of the Pandora.  The NUCs are huge from what I could tell.

Back