Nubs Just Stopped Working

Eniko

Raving Python fangirl
Website
purplepirates.darksiren.net
Ahahaha, I do seem to come to this forum a lot don't I? I was playing Quake 2, or you know trying to get my nubs calibrated then play it, and it froze on me. I tried using the powerslider to shut the system down which froze during shutdown. Now the PNDs that were active won't be removed from my system when I remove my USB stick, and worse still my nubs are dead in the water.

I'd reflash the firmware, but since my goddamn SD cards are still not here I can't. Anything else I can try to fix this?

Eniko said:
Ahahaha, I do seem to come to this forum a lot don't I? I was playing Quake 2, or you know trying to get my nubs calibrated then play it, and it froze on me. I tried using the powerslider to shut the system down which froze during shutdown. Now the PNDs that were active won't be removed from my system when I remove my USB stick, and worse still my nubs are dead in the water.

I'd reflash the firmware, but since my goddamn SD cards are still not here I can't. Anything else I can try to fix this?
:(
A pnd cannot stay active after a reboot, and the nub recalibrate at each boot. Are you sure you rebooted the pandora ? (and not turn it in low power mode and then back full speed ?)
Try it the hard way : [pandora]+[powerswitch].

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't played Quake 2, but I'm just thinking aloud, here: Does it switch the nubs into joystick mode, I wonder?

Can you hop into the Settings menu in Xfce and look for the nub settings dialogue? That might shed some light.

I've been running it from my charger since I am testing to see if my battery's dying. I unplugged it for 15 minutes, so yes it was suitably turned off. I tried it your way though but it didn't help any.

Eniko said:
I've been running it from my charger since I am testing to see if my battery's dying. I unplugged it for 15 minutes, so yes it was suitably turned off. I tried it your way though but it didn't help any.
removing the battery was enough to test.

Eniko said:
Settings > Nubs doesn't appear to be doing anything. ... Neither does Date and time come to think of it, and that was before this weirdness started.
ouch I feel the pain :(

Remove your USB drive, go to /home/eniko/Desktop (or whatever name you used ;)) and just delete all the .desktop files in there. They probably won't go away because the PND daemon didn't have a chance to remove them and got stuck in some kind of limbo.
I think that should solve at least part of your problem.

My SD cards finally arrived and I reflashed the firmware and everything is fine now. But I don't know how to install cifs without running opkg update, and I read that it is highly not recommended to run that, though I don't really know why. I figure that's what messed up parts of my OS before though, so I don't wanna risk running it again but I do need cifs to connect to network shares.

Eniko said:
I figure that's what messed up parts of my OS before though,
I doubt it. Installing to NAND is fine if you have enough free space available.

Eniko said:
Then why are you not supposed to run opkg update? I tried finding an explanation for that, but couldn't.
Because it's about 30MB of data to have the update. For the most part, it's wasted space in a place where space can rapidly become precious.
Installing various packages to the NAND is also discouraged because, while there may be many that will work just fine, it can only takes one incompatible upgrade to bring the entire system down.
Further, if you have to reflash, you'll need to reget any custom packages you've previously installed. Finding PND alternatives (including requesting them if they don't already exist!) is always a better option because they you don't lose the program or the settings that went along with it if you find you need to upgrade.
If you're just installing cifs though, that should be fine. Personally I think it should have been part of the firmware from the getgo, but it's not my call.
Once you've done the installs you want, you can always reclaim most of the space used by the update: simply delete the directory /usr/lib/opkg/info.
You can get them back with opkg update again. You can also delete the other directories in the /usr/lib/opkg, but then it will forget what packages you've previously installed, which could lead to more trouble.

Eniko said:
Then why are you not supposed to run opkg update? I tried finding an explanation for that, but couldn't.

opkg update is fine, opkg upgrade is not recommended.

Eniko said:
everything is fine now.
Cool. WizardStan advice could have worked too.
Eniko said:
But I don't know how to install cifs without running opkg update, and I read that it is highly not recommended to run that, though I don't really know why.
Some fear that it could damage then NAND to write to it too often.
But, on your cell your contacts are writen to the nand, on palm everything are stored on the nand. I never found this to be dangerous for the nand.
By the way, plugin an SD card with PND will write to your nand, removing it too :D

Back