nVidia Jetson TX1 board

Interesting link, thanks.  Of course, that's a core spec, not a SoC and not even a core in an SoC yet, but it might form the part of a future cool SoC.

But it could only be the low power part in a big little configuration.  They say that A35 is 20% faster than an A7, while one of the A15 chips in the Pyra is already 100% faster than an A7 (judging by dumb DMIPS/MHz figures).  But in a big-little style configuration, providing low power backbone with a faster 64-bit headlining core or two, that could be simply awesome!

I've also strumbled about this recently:

ARM debuts power-sipping 64-bit Cortex-A35 processor

Another competitor or possible alternative Pyra SoC?

No, this isn't really applicable. It's somewhat weaker than Cortex-A53, albeit more power efficient. And Cortex-A53 is significantly weaker than Cortex-A15, albeit 64-bit. This is for lower power and cheaper devices than what Pyra is supposed to be.

Even as a replacement for the cores in a little cluster it's not that interesting; for a new mobile SoC made on a 14nm/16nm process A53s are really low power enough.

Even as a replacement for the cores in a little cluster it's not that interesting; for a new mobile SoC made on a 14nm/16nm process A53s are really low power enough.

Do you mean an A35 core or two there?  Cos it seems to me they'd be quite a good fit in something like a big-little config.  IIRC the Cortex A7 was the low power part in the original proposal for big-little, so something that's comparable to the A7 is interesting.  Since all future high-end chips are likely to be Arm64 compatible, as I see it, having a low power 64bit part for a future asymmetric processor configuration is worth watching.

Edit: Or reading again, are you just saying that the A35 isn't powerful enough even for the lower power bit in these sort of setups?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean an A35 core or two there?  Cos it seems to me they'd be quite a good fit in something like a big-little config.  IIRC the Cortex A7 was the low power part in the original proposal for big-little, so something that's comparable to the A7 is interesting.  Since all future high-end chips are likely to be Arm64 compatible, as I see it, having a low power 64bit part for a future asymmetric processor configuration is worth watching.

Edit: Or reading again, are you just saying that the A35 isn't powerful enough even for the lower power bit in these sort of setups?

I'm saying it's somewhat more power efficient but somewhat less powerful than A53, and for a Pyra-like application A53 already fulfills the low-power 64-bit little core role well enough.

Back