Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Got 3 of mine delivered yesterday but somehow too lazy to open them.  I'm still playing on my Pandora  :D
Do you really need 3 of them?
"If It's Worth Doing, It's Worth Overdoing"

-David Lee Roth
I'm a crazy boy.  I have duplicates of all my game systems.  Just in case one fail I have a back up.  In Power Systems, they call it N-1 contingency  :D

Edit:  Except for the Pandora which I have only one  :(  I have two cracked cases though  :D   I'll buy another Pandora in the near future though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pandora is collecting dust.
No no!  It's my companion wherever I go.  See, I like to play games but I don't want people to know that I'm a game addict especially in public, like on the bus or on the train or in the airport waiting for my flight.  The Shield would make it too obvious that I'm a game addict.  Whereas, the Pandora is a balanced device.  It makes me look like I'm working but I'm just taking a break playing some retro  :p

I hope it gets here soon and that I won't have any issues for the next few months to years with it (fingers crossed). I'm really curious how many other people in europe have chosen this possibility too (maybe ED?).
I haven't. I'm not really interested in the Shield.

I don't a device that's too big for my pockets. At home I usually play console games using a FullHD projector. I never played PC games, so I'm not interested in the streaming part.

The Pandora still plays everything I want to play on the go, and at home, Pandora and consoles play the rest :)

It would be nice to watch the shield run god of war through ppsspp. I'm also interested in seeing how well it handles the more demanding N64 titles such as Conkers BFD, goldeneye, cruisin' world, etc.

Pandora is collecting dust.
No no!  It's my companion wherever I go.  See, I like to play games but I don't want people to know that I'm a game addict especially in public, like on the bus or on the train or in the airport waiting for my flight.  The Shield would make it too obvious that I'm a game addict.  Whereas, the Pandora is a balanced device.  It makes me look like I'm working but I'm just taking a break playing some retro  :p
^lol

I actually saw that Ridge Racer vid a few days ago, and I was going to post it but I forgot. It is also the bench mark game for showing PSP emulation. Kind of like seeing Mario 64 on a N64 emu. It runs the best, as that is the game emulation is built around. RR seems to run great, but reports say most other games do not.

I didn't want potential consumers to see this and think PSP runs this well across the board. It does look very nice though, and I hope a shield optimize emu can be released at some point, as I'm sure it can handle these games full speed.

Chris

I never played PC games, so I'm not interested in the streaming part.
:blink:   Wooot?  I guess I can say, you really missed something then.  ;)
Not really.

They never interested me.

I don't like FPS or even TPS.

I mostly only play Japanese RPGs and Jump'n'Runs like Turrican, Super Mario, etc. - how many are there on the PC?

Some like Commander Keen (and I played all those), but later games did never interest me in the slightest.

When I started to play games on the PC, I was also pretty annoyed that they looked different depending on what graphics card you had and even sounded different, depending on whether you had an AdLib, Soundblaster or Roland MT32...

For me, a game is a work of art. And Art that looks and sounds different depending on your configuration is just not possible.

The only thing I played on the PC are adventure games... that's it.

And I don't think I missed something, as I followed the game releases as well, but nothing appealed to me.

Same for Android games. I tried a few, but found them all boring or without love somehow.

So the Shield really serves no purpose for me :)

All the best RPGs in history were only released for PC (very few later on had inferior console versions, I think).

Most of my collection goes in that direction.

Planescape Torment,

Baldur's Gate 1+2,

Icewind Dale 1+2,

Fallout 1+2,

Gothic 1+2,

Neverwinter Nights,

SW-Kotor 1+2,

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines,

Nox,

Titan Quest (ok, that's more Hack'n'Slay, but a good one)

etc...

I always missed complex RPGs on consoles and handhelds,

but most of them play better with a keyboard and a mouse is a basic prerequisite for it anyway.

Also stuff like Penumbra, Amnesia, Freespace 2, etc...

But you can forget these on a Shield.

Streaming PC-Games to a controller with a screen isn't very practical anyway.

I checked this thread and couldn't find a posting of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ab2fB2Cm664?feature=oembed
I tried God of War and FF7 Crisis Core and it wasn't a very pleasant experience. I did mess with some settings and configuration hacks to get it to what I consider to be "playable" but I'm still looking for a list of games that play well in the emulator on lower powered devices.

I got patapon to work well (to say enough to play even with audio lag) but I only ever owned/played ff7 & GoW on my psp when I had it. So trying to find good games to demo is my challenge. (recommendations are gladly welcome)

I'm not an expert in the matter, but enabling sound (even the additional closed source codec) doesn't really hurt the speed that much I'm seeing, it just sounds like shit if it's even slightly off.

The frameskip causes heavy flickers if not in sync with the game (some games run 60vfps some 30vfps natively, not emulated) so trying to find the correct frameskip 1/2/3/4etc is another challenge and differs depending on the game. Buffering mostly looks bad in the games I tried (needs a lot of work)

There is some cpu speed hack that's not implemented in the GUI that allows you to clock the emulated PSP CPU from 300mhz down to 222 or 100 or whatever and some people have shown success with that. Overall PPSSPP is a very complicated emulator to get the performance the way you want. They as asking for a high end NEON / ASM programmer to help in that department and with things like multi core processing so I think it has potential to be very much better than it currently is. I don't think it's a hardware limitation as much as it is under-developed software based off what I dug up on the project. (like they were super excited about bringing in JIT which isn't as ground breaking as it's made out to be) I would consider it very much in it's infancy even if it's performing well, I'm just not sure how to reproduce those results.

For me, a game is a work of art. And Art that looks and sounds different depending on your configuration is just not possible.
I totally agree with you, art is suppose to be unique. One can't just redraw starry night and claim that to be art. Games nowadays are more about copying an existing formula and hope it works out well. (QTE, regenerating health, sex, lack of depth, lack of focus and the list goes on and on)

I think that's totally wrong, the same thing goes for all the zombies in pop culture. People like zombies because it legitimizes killing humans. (even stupids will feel the immersion breaking of killing normal humans in games) But it's just lazy, no game ever come out and ask the player if the killing is really worth it, and how precious human lives are. May be except for spec ops the line.

But, there is always the indie scene. Binding of isaac is brilliant, FTL is great, even dungeons of dredmor is kinda cool. Indie games are really the heros in today's industry, but too bad they will get bought if they did any good.

I would also recommand you a ps 3 title called dark souls. This is really a work of art, every thing about its story, atmosphere is jaw-droppingly smart after you starts to realize many things are going on in the background.

All the best RPGs in history were only released for PC (very few later on had inferior console versions, I think).

Most of my collection goes in that direction.
Well, those were too complex for me.

I always got lost in the 3D Dungeons or died because I didn't have enough food, or they needed a hell of levelling, or I didn't even know where to go.

That's why I played Japanese RPGs :)

Well, those were too complex for me.
I always got lost in the 3D Dungeons or died because I didn't have enough food, or they needed a hell of levelling, or I didn't even know where to go.

That's why I played Japanese RPGs :)
You casul? My god, ED is a Casul!

Western rpgs are always about unfair challenges and clever tricks (save scumming is essential to succeed in the first try), me too had a hard time sitting down play them.

But many JRPGs just never end, they goes on and on and on, until they out stayed their welcome. (especially modern ones)

I'm still curious about your console game of choice, as I'm sure there ain't that many great JRPGs this gen. (white witch has some good story, but it's combat system is such Meh~)

Back