Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

Android version has all shaders and all cores as the PC version as well.  Runs very well on Shield.
Yes but there are new mame builds being added in the next update with sh3 support and improved scanlines and shaders,but with it being pulled from the play store i hope the author doesnt go on hiatus

Hey Ed,  how's RetroArch on Pandora?  I remember you stated somewhere on this thread that there will be an official port of RetroArch for the Pandora and it is being worked on.  How's progress?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a bit of a kick in the balls to everyone who has just purchased a shield, 1 years shelf life then a new version nvidia need to get their act together

that topic was brought up on nvidia's forum, but the best argument I've read was that is it a kick in the balls when a geforce gtx series comes out? They are coming out with a series 8 next year, is it worth getting a series 7 now?

as long as compatibility is maintained only with better specs in the newer generation I don't feel cheated, and will eventually get the newer one, and at the same time the current one will logically get cheaper for those that are waiting for price

Thats a bit of a kick in the balls to everyone who has just purchased a shield, 1 years shelf life then a new version nvidia need to get their act together
How is this any different from anyone else? Except maybe smaller companies like OpenPandora GmbH :)
There's a new Windows OS every year or so, there's a new Apple iP* every year or so, there's a new ton of E.A. sports games with the year attached

I knew NVidia is going to make a Shield 2 soon because they were asking for feedback and comments and suggestions how to make Shield 1 better not long go.  It's gonna be a kick in everyone's ball or perhaps ED's ball if NVidia takes all good suggestions from this forum  to built Shield 2.  Things like physical keyboard, rotateable screen for vertical shooting, foldable screen to trun it into touch-only device, etc.  If they can do this, man, this would be the P2 just without notaz and ED :)

new update to dolphin gamecube emulator with tegra 4/shield support. It looks like it says it has opengl es 3.0 support even if not true to spec, it looks as if enough is supported for dolphin's needs. New video hopefully tonight when I get home from work.

*excited*

How is this any different from anyone else? Except maybe smaller companies like OpenPandora GmbH :)

There's a new Windows OS every year or so, there's a new Apple iP* every year or so, there's a new ton of E.A. sports games with the year attached
It's not any different, and this is no surprise. 

The first Shield appeared to perform above expectations, so I figured we would see an improvement sooner rather than later(especially considering the surveys). Tech companies like this will always be working on something new, and with the current market of smart phones, tablets, ect, this is the nature of the beast. The sooner you buy in to the newest gadgets, the more life you'll get from them.

I ended up having to wait on getting my Shield due to fund issues, but now I can wait and see what the newer version has to offer(i'm sure we'll see it by CES). I may or may not like the "improvements", so getting the OG at a reduced price would be killer. Or they may offer the newest model at a higher price depending on what it offers, but more than likely they will lower the OG and place the new model at 300. I personally would just like a smaller unit and a way to rotate and position the screen for different kinds of Android games. I'm sure they'll add a bigger screen, more horse power and other bells and whistles, but only time will tell.

Hell, the current model is a killer deal at 300. I can't imagine them offering better tech within 12 months at the same price, but I won't turn my nose at it if they do. For those of you who already have a Shield, enjoy it, that's why you bought it.

new update to dolphin gamecube emulator with tegra 4/shield support. It looks like it says it has opengl es 3.0 support even if not true to spec, it looks as if enough is supported for dolphin's needs. New video hopefully tonight when I get home from work.

*excited*
Holy S**T, any feedback from anywhere yet? I'll begin my search ASAP!

Chris

my wish list of hopeful shield 2 improvements

bezzel-less display (fill the top portion with screen real estate even if sacrificing dpi)

improved dpad (daveC that designed the pandora's dpad owns a shield and made that suggestion to nvidia as well) https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/622122/general-discussion/linux-on-shield-/post/3979080/#3979080

built-in keyboard, or keyboard attachment akin to xbox 360's design http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Text-Messaging-Kit/dp/B000UN3UDQ/

rumble or haptic feedback (glaring omission from the current gen shield)

slight reduction of overall weight, but not too much, maybe 20% or so?

external power input in addition to usb for usb host functions

internal microsd instead of nand for upgradeability for tinker'ers (especially considering if only 16GB model is offered)

true landscape display instead of portrait in landscape mounting

that's basically it

*excited*
I've just tested 2 games on my non-rooted Shield:  Soul Calibur 2 and Wario World and I must say this:

NOT PLAYABLE WHATSOEVER! :(

Also gives hope to people who are on the sidelines about price. The price will undoubtedly come down soon.

Even in 2014 shield 1 will still be a very powerful emulation capable device. And more affordable for some.

*excited*
I've just tested 2 games on my non-rooted Shield:  Soul Calibur 2 and Wario World and I must say this:

NOT PLAYABLE WHATSOEVER! :(
speed wise or graphics wise? I think speed isn't too bad after playing with settings. Graphics have similar problems as the xperia z someone posted earlier in this thread

still trying to nail down a good balance between accuracy in settings and fair speed that doesn't look like complete garbage.

EDIT: I don't see an fps counter and the best I can get it is maybe about 20fps emulated when not a lot of stuff is going on, and dips into maybe 5 or less fps during areas with lots of things on screen, rendered doesn't look jerky at all so I doubt there's frame skipping, so I would say that rendered is 60fps but I could be wrong (agian, no counter) but the game is really slow, maybe 1/3rd of actual speed, also the graphics are corrupted in almost every build I've tried. https://dl.dolphin-emu.org/builds/ So far I'm just trying mario sunshine and it's unplayable as is because of the graphics, to the point of just nonsense on the screen most of the times, but you can point out mario and other identifiable objects.

Do you guys still want a video? Or should I wait till the graphics issues get fixed?

^ Those were the only two games I tested.  

- Soul Calibur 2:  Graphics were all messed up so speed didn't matter anymore 

- Wario World : Graphics were a little better but still messed up pretty bad.

I tried all setting combinations (or so I thought) as there not so much to play with in Dolphin at this stage...

*excited*
It doesn't have OpenGL ES 3.0 support. It has support for the features that Dolphin specifically needs, exposed via extensions.

Back