Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get priced out of this one just like I did with the 1ghz pandora. My bet is $500+  If it drops below $300, I (along with half the country) will probably insta-buy.

This could open the possibility of emulating ps2 on the go or even xbox, that's something to get excited about!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get priced out of this one just like I did with the 1ghz pandora. My bet is $500+  If it drops below $300, I (along with half the country) will probably insta-buy.

This could open the possibility of emulating ps2 on the go or even xbox, that's something to get excited about!
instabuy level for me us less than $200 and as for ps2/xbox emulation, impossible.

Assuming the nvida streaming client is going to be made available to all android devices and tv's (which it probably wont) you should be able to recreate at least that aspect of this device with any tablet and controller. The streaming cababilities in the GFE software make it possible to stream your PC games to any tiny android stick you have connected to your tv. Very interesting proposition. as for portable gaming this is going to be the best option under 600 dollars. Hopefully real AAA core games get made for android when this thing is out.

Well I did say it could​ open the possibility but I won't get into a conversation of it being completely impossible or not. Exphase is more the man that could say such a statement and it actually hold water.  At some point it will be possible, hardware wise, (obviously it would take a huge about of coding to make it happen) I just hope that the tegra 4 is the chip that can finally make portable ps2 a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I did say it could​ open the possibility but I won't get into a conversation of it being completely impossible or not. Exphase is more the man that could say such a statement and it actually hold water.  At some point it will be possible, hardware wise, (obviously it would take a huge about of coding to make it happen) I just hope that the tegra 4 is the chip that can finally make portable ps2 a possibility.
this is what you need for portable ps2 emulation

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3851476/razer-edge-hands-on-ces-2013

yea, I've seen that but for a grand and probably 2 hour battery life... pass. Plus it's no more portable than a laptop which will also do ps2 emu, or the ps2 slim itself for that matter.

Cool, maybe next we'll see someone put grips on the side of a small laptop and call that a Nintendo DS-esque device. That 2 hour battery life is what you get with a second 40Wh battery added.. that along with what's probably already a heavier tablet (needs some serious cooling) and the big grips.. I wonder how long before your arms get tired holding the thing.

Cool, maybe next we'll see someone put grips on the side of a small laptop and call that a Nintendo DS-esque device. That 2 hour battery life is what you get with a second 40Wh battery added.. that along with what's probably already a heavier tablet (needs some serious cooling) and the big grips.. I wonder how long before your arms get tired holding the thing.
maybe it wont be so bad if you rest it in your lap or on a surface...

maybe it wont be so bad if you rest it in your lap or on a surface...
Doesn't resting it on TOP of your LAP make it as useful/portable as a, I don't know...  LAPTOP?   :D

You'd probably get more bang for your buck buying a gaming laptop and a bluetooth controller.  That's what I'd do, anyway...

Not sue if anyone else has mentioned this but I see a bit of a flaw with the design.

The screen doesn't appear to go back any further than that. So you will really have to adapt to playing this device. The pandora I always used it completely folded back as far as possible because that is the most comfortable way in my opinion to use the device. I couldn't imagine using it folded like how this device seems to force you to do it. In the video the players seem a bit awkward and you see them constantly checking things out on the big screen TV. 

The Wifi game streaming seems like a bit of a wank feature to me. While it sounds cool why the hell are you going to abandon your PC with a huge screen and best controller out there (Keyboard and mouse combo) to play things on a small 5" screen.

Perhaps they will fix this for the final release though. Can't believe it has made it this far without it being addressed.

Ok, just saw a video were Nvidia said it supports Bluetooth, so it will have Bluetooth which is good.

This thing looks WAY to breakable for a " portable " saying they want 4 in a home implies it would emply marketing to families . And the average kid breaks a ds no sweat ... I cringe at giving this to a five year old .

Wonder how well mame4droid reloaded will run on this beast or if its only optimised for single core use

What would they have to subsidize in the first place? No one is going to make exclusives for this.

I do think this is an important step forward for the industry. This is the first time a major company released a gaming handheld with on a relatively open platform, that stands a good chance of not having awful controls (if you even afford Archos the distinction of major company)

There is the line of thought that they could have subsidized it to get more people into buying it for PC game streaming which needs their Graphics cards .  Which of course is where the money and the jam is for Nvidia.

That said, it was never going to happen, Nvidia are like Apple, they are in for large profit on anything they make.

As I said before , I wouldn't be surpised if it's $399.  It just depends on what Nvidia research makes of the comments people have been posting under all the stories on it.  ie basically $150 - $250 tops is what I'm seeing, more and people are saying forget it.

Back