Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

^ Exactly

PC Gaming on a handheld via streaming . That's got to be a first

Last edited by a moderator:
the one who merged the duplicated thread?

edit: lol it was merged in the wrong direction... the mod merged the old thread posted in the correct forum inside the new duplicated thread inside the wrong forum... seems a failure to me :)

ok sorry, I didn't notice there was already a thread, you can change the title back to what the original one was.

But I'm still a little concerned about this, it may not be 'as open' as the pandora, but having a very powerful gaming handheld with a still pretty accessible platform (many emulators seem to be available on Android), with Steam integration. I can totally see this eating into the Pandora market.  (and this reason this concerns me is that I still need many Pandoras to sell if I'm going to have a hope of seeing my one).

^ Don't sweat it.  It's all cool.  For a minute I thought someone didn't like my title and changed it  :p

Title changed.

You can maybe move it again in other console where the original thread comes from?
I know that, that's where it originally came from...but 90% of the OP community don't care about, and don't even bother visiting the 'other consoles' forum section.

I hate it when stuff like this gets overlooked. The whole OP community need to wake up and smell the roses, because it's 2013 already, not 2008 or whatever anymore

Has it got any shoulder buttons? Looks nice, i fancy a bit of Half Life 2 whilst in the bathroom.

to me Project Shield makes a lot right.

+ the shape might not add up to everyones aesthetics but its ment to proviede optimal gaming controls and thats what it is doing! The buttons seam solid, the nubs are big and rugged and for gamer like me to play on something, you don't have to wreck,.... I mean bend your fingers is a blessing!

+ streaming from your PC? music too? cool

+ 3x 3400mah batterys? I like standardised essential stuff.

- Android? wrong choice!

- not open source?

The openPandora is clearly not designed for gaming only, so both are not really competitors in my opinion. To be honest I'm not much into mobile gaming. The most time I'm using it as music player, do Linux stuff or hook it up to a TV, connect a controller and play some homebrew or emulated games. Flexibility is probably one of the strongest selling points.

Crazyhorse said:
Has it got any shoulder buttons?
yup, four in total

I wonder how often that SOC actually gets to do anything... Android's high-end controller-input-friendly games-library is pretty small, and barely worth playing if you can stream from a computer (and no, this thing won't change that, it just won't sell (long) enough to warrant making games specifically for it). And the touch-screen will be pretty awkward to use, due to its positioning, harming your overall android-experience.

So, for all intents and purposes, this is a >$250,- portable (not even pocketable...) thin-gaming-client with an overpowered SOC. I wonder how big the market for such a device is...

Oh, and it'll probably be more expensive than a cheap android-phone + icontrolpad, which should work just as well as a thin-client, and be more flexible... 

I wonder how often that SOC actually gets to do anything... Android's high-end controller-input-friendly games-library is pretty small, and barely worth playing if you can stream from a computer (and no, this thing won't change that, it just won't sell (long) enough to warrant making games specifically for it). And the touch-screen will be pretty awkward to use, due to its positioning, harming your overall android-experience.

So, for all intents and purposes, this is a >$250,- portable (not even pocketable...) thin-gaming-client with an overpowered SOC. I wonder how big the market for such a device is...

Oh, and it'll probably be more expensive than a cheap android-phone + icontrolpad, which should work just as well as a thin-client, and be more flexible... 
good questions but on the part about android native controller games they are quite a few, probably about the same number as a vita

It's a Chicken and Egg situation.  To date the HW hasn't been there to support high end Android games (high being those that require a controller), therefore developers have not really developed an overwhelming amount of content in that space.

However, there is over whelming demand for these titles to be played on Android devices .  You can see that in the Success of the Ouya etc.  Now that the HW (Android devices with controllers ie Ouya, Shield, Gamestick, Gamepad etc) is starting to appear to support controller based games, expect the flood gates to open.

Back