Nvidia's Project Shield - 'Android & Tegra 4 inside'

You didn't happen to ask when the patch is coming that was supposed to hit near the end of the month did you?

Thought I read somewhere end of month but I just finished chatting with a Nvidia rep and he said they are not allowed to disclose when any future updates/patches will occur.

So....??
Strange ive just been on it? 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Shield in my opinion is everything the Pandora should have been and more.
Well until it has a physical keyboard it isn't. Android?, let me know when it gets a real OS.

^come on... if you call this a casual gaming device then the pandora is one too, if not more so.

For the gaming aspect, both devices share the same audience.

I do agree pandora wins hands down for replicating pc capabilities though.

Not quite the same audience, or are all our freeware games available for it?

Anyway, I do not focus on the gaming aspect, because I use my Pandora about 50% of the time for other stuff.

Not quite the same audience, or are all our freeware games available for it?

Anyway, I do not focus on the gaming aspect, because I use my Pandora about 50% of the time for other stuff.
pretty much, most if not all the open source ports are there. Original content won't be there because the author hasn't ported it to android.

you can search for yourself to find out which titles are available and which aren't

https://play.google.com/store

Ok, no Frogatto but at least Battle for Wesnoth is there.

Anyway: It definitely is nothing for Google haters. ;)

Therefore I wait for the EDora to come, many years if necessary.

fair enough, but if the games are open source, all it takes is someone to port it is my point.

Android was once pale in comparison to the rubust software you could find on PC or hell even the pandora, but I feel those days of nothing but angry bird clones are behind us, and will only continue to get better is my point.

Here here SnesFan i was the same a huge supporter from day 1 but unfortunatly the pandora has fallen way short of expectations lets see overpriced,bad build quality unstable os no hdmi out there are a few good points like some optimised emulators but the bad outweighs the good for me and since i got my nexus 7 and nexus 10 the pandora has been collecting dust Android has come on in leaps and bounds especially the last 2 years and the quality of the emulators and games have increased expedentially who ever thought you would be playing ikaruga on a handheld and now even more games like sine mora and ketsui are also avail if evildragon thinks the current pandora can compete he is delusional(sorry ED) i love the pandora  boards and the mods and devs Exophase Mcobit Wally etc are very helpful but craigs major failings have dealt OP a huge blow and i feel for people like me who ordered in the first year and "STILL" have not recieved their devices

Maybe I got the advantage, that I wasn't a day 1 supporter and heard about the Pandora the first time when it was really available (although in small numbers).

Many of the original supporters are pissed a bit and I can understand that.

Well, I am just happy, that I do not have to create a Google account (I cannot use or even delete my old youtube account because of it though -.- ) and shove more money up their...

Both devices fill a gap in the market and I am fully aware, that the one I'm in is the smaller one.

Let's just say they both are equally great devices. One 5 years old the other 2 months. Both serve a purpose for specific needs.

However, I have to give my nod to the Shield. I own both and I do not waiver on my opinion. :eek:   ;)

oh yes...BTW great vids SNESFAN!!

added.. You know what is funny for me is that I find the Shield control pad rather nice as a typing function. I am rather proficient at it now and that is quite an accomplishment for me.

added...Shield store is up and working now. 

Last edited:
I still haven't gotten my Shield yet, but it I will within the coming weeks. I'm heading to the Gamestop Expo in a few hours here in Vegas, so I should be able to get some play time and check it out. Along with the PS4, One and WiiU. I'll be sure to drop some thoughts later if I have the time.

I have to agree that Android is way further along than it was years ago, as I owned the G1 and was there at the start(which couldn't run PacMan fullspeed, but that's another story). For me personally, I have always found it to be the savior of those who wanted nothing to do with IOS, and I would say the support and interest has been along those lines. The Pandora community, and opensource devices in general are a grey area for sure, as most here enjoy many different OS, and gaming experiences in general. 

Outside of these forums, I find most casual smart phone users and gamers to be either Apple "drones", or Android users. It's almost always one or the other. I personally have always been interest in Android for everything it stands for, that Apple doesn't. Sadly, due to the nature of Android, there really hasn't been a "uniformed" set of functionality due to there being so many different devices from so many makers. I'm really hoping that with devices like the Shield, we can start to see "gaming controls" taken more seriously and added to more games by default.

I'm glad to finally see Android coming in to it's own, and that a super machine like the Shield can be made at a respectable level of quality, and at a great price. Much like how the Pandora has really been the only kind of go to device of it's kind for the last 5 years, I really can't see anyone releasing anything for years to come that can compete with the Shield. The P2 being the only thing on my radar currently, but I wouldn't expect that to happen anytime soon, and quality and pricing would for sure be a big "?".

Chris

If ED somehow could produce P2 at the price of $350 (the original price of the Shield), he would become a multi-millionaire overnight!

Just to change the direction here...Tainted Keep is a magnificently looking and playing game. I really recommend it if you like to hack n slash hordes of foes!!

Stunning graphics that really take advantage of the Tegra 4 processor...not a hitch either. :D
You are correct sir,,,,grrreat FPS game!!!

I dig launching the rockets in the air!!

Last edited:
Back