Nworksdev N64 Emulator On Iphone

Ari64 said:
Lafazar said:
Edit: He just confused his youtube alt accounts:
http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=GIwfpss9av0&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3DGIwfpss9av0
LOL.

Exophase - It's entirely possible to develop an N64 emulator and get the input wrong. I should know. :)
Things happening a frame or two before the input is actually given is a common bug then? Seems to me that would be the greatest feature in the world. Give you 1/30th of a second advantage over those without that "bug" :p

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Ari64 said:
Lafazar said:
Edit: He just confused his youtube alt accounts:
http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=GIwfpss9av0&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3DGIwfpss9av0
LOL.

Exophase - It's entirely possible to develop an N64 emulator and get the input wrong. I should know. :)
Things happening a frame or two before the input is actually given is a common bug then? Seems to me that would be the greatest feature in the world. Give you 1/30th of a second advantage over those without that "bug" :p
heh. Actually a lot of development was done on a beageboard without joystick input, and most of my testing was just watching the intro sequence run. JayFoxRox wrote an input plugin but couldn't test it, and when MWeston did, he noticed that the controls were backwards.

Given this history, Exophase's comment about being "incapable of getting input right" was rather funny.

Ari64 said:
Given this history, Exophase's comment about being "incapable of getting input right" was rather funny.
I knew what you meant, I was just trying (and failing) to be funny. :p

Ari64 said:

In some capacity I'm sure, but what would cause inconsistent latency problems if you don't have a more underlying performance issue? I can certainly believe input in general can be a problem but more in an either you get it or you don't sort of way.

borgqueenx said:
but it is true a 14 year old guy can code. its bullshit that he cant code just because he is 14.

Absolutely - but it's far more likely that a 14 year old would fake an emulator to get respect than actually be skilled enough to write the code and then make this big a mess of demoing it :)

My guess is now, he's probably going to just say "Fine since no one believed me and people were bashing me, I'm not going to release it" and try to get off the hook that way. But he got his "name" out there and there will be some who will say that there would have been this awesome emulator but people messed it up. Amazing how people can believe stuff.

Ari, Exo is it even possible to "render down" or make the emulator throw out details to gain performance? That part just seemed silly to me only because I have never seen an emulator that dumbed down the graphics in order to gain speed. I suppose it could be possible (being not a coder I have no clue) but it would seem to me that executing the game code is more of an issue than the graphics rendering as they are just basically textures over the games designed objects right? Can you purposely lower every texture's quality for a boost or do you have to supply new lower rez textures for every one in every game? (Sorry, I am probably not even explaining it right but I'm sure you understand what I am getting at, the concept of less quality images for speed boost as he suggests in his demo vid)

But yeah, I have to agree with the control issue thing. Ari mentioned that the controls were backwards, but think about this. Ari had no controls, Jayfox writes a plugin on a different device and when tested on Pandora they were backwards. But he didn't say inaccurate. So if this guy is good enough to code on screen controls which he had to add to whatever he made the emulator out of. How could he be good enough to do that much and be so off that he can make a character move before he presses that way...lol

Poem58 said:
My guess is now, he's probably going to just say "Fine since no one believed me and people were bashing me, I'm not going to release it" and try to get off the hook that way. But he got his "name" out there and there will be some who will say that there would have been this awesome emulator but people messed it up. Amazing how people can believe stuff.

Heh yes, that's often how these things end. What surprises me most is the sheer number of websites reporting on this with absolutely no skepticism, just praise for how incredible it is that a 14 year old code code an N64 emulator.

Poem58 said:
Ari, Exo is it even possible to "render down" or make the emulator throw out details to gain performance? That part just seemed silly to me only because I have never seen an emulator that dumbed down the graphics in order to gain speed. I suppose it could be possible (being not a coder I have no clue) but it would seem to me that executing the game code is more of an issue than the graphics rendering as they are just basically textures over the games designed objects right? Can you purposely lower every texture's quality for a boost or do you have to supply new lower rez textures for every one in every game? (Sorry, I am probably not even explaining it right but I'm sure you understand what I am getting at, the concept of less quality images for speed boost as he suggests in his demo vid)

In my opinion, the only meaningful things you could do in an N64 emulator using hardware graphics emulation are to lower the resolution, lower the color depth, and frameskip. The first two wouldn't improve performance on an iPhone 3GS because it's only 320x480 and rendering to that is not going to be a bottleneck. The latter is not something I would consider "dumbing the graphics down" and I don't think people commonly would in general. The emulator would have no idea how to simplify geometry, it wouldn't even be able to determine what's part of the same model or mesh. Downgrading textures is possible but again I don't think it'd actually win you anything, especially when N64 had severe space limitations with texturing to begin with.

Poem58 said:
But yeah, I have to agree with the control issue thing. Ari mentioned that the controls were backwards, but think about this. Ari had no controls, Jayfox writes a plugin on a different device and when tested on Pandora they were backwards. But he didn't say inaccurate. So if this guy is good enough to code on screen controls which he had to add to whatever he made the emulator out of. How could he be good enough to do that much and be so off that he can make a character move before he presses that way...lol

Indeed, getting the controls wrong because multiple people are trying to accomplish it over various devices with and without builtin input, including one that isn't even released yet, isn't really the same as having glaring issues in control timing.

The fact that after watching the 'infomercial' first vid he produced, that anyone gave this guy credence is insane, never-mind tech magazines. That he uses deflection rather than engage in a technical debate is another laughable state. That he asumes anyone who asks questions is out to get him, is a clear sign of a fake. The fact he thought he could get away with it and get money is seriously a sign of a delusional person... if only so many didn't jump on his band wagon and validate him.

You don't need to be smart or savy to get support... just luck into an idea that others want to believe.

borgqueenx said:
but it is true a 14 year old guy can code. its bullshit that he cant code just because he is 14.

True, now show me a 14 year old that understands the architecture of two disparately different systems, that can write a recompiler from one to the other, translating the code, all on his own. Who can do this but can't handle the most basic technical questions, and instead of responding, only answers with "la-la-la I can't hear you... give me money. You guys are all just meanies and I hate you. You know nothing of programing, only I do". Etc.

I also love this:

I realize youre trying to prove a flaw here. This 'shit' is not fake. I have been working on this for some time now. The controls right now are completely not even CLOSE to GOOD. There are bad delays and flinches within gameplay. of course it LOOKS fake. But understand its LEGIT. For me to go as far as to make trailers, build graphics and a game engine and host betas for the app JUST pretend? You may think what you want, but this is nothing new. No new technology here. Betas are coming soon too.

I love his use of caps, I'd love to see his code comments... 'this CODE is totally BAD ASS..."

Ari64 said:
Yeah, he loads a savestate in the video. I wonder how he did that since I never wrote that part.

I could code when I was 14, but I didn't make a fool of myself posting fake crap like this guy.
I too could code when I was 14, but didnt post fake stuff like, heck then it was only on a TI-82, and my dads "ancient" C64 (right now I am 16, so the C64 is ancient to me...)

pelrun said:
borgqueenx said:

Absolutely - but it's far more likely that a 14 year old would fake an emulator to get respect than actually be skilled enough to write the code and then make this big a mess of demoing it :)

I think it is possible for a 14 year old to have done this, just not this one, especially since he hasnt release any code, binaries or explanations. Here's a 14 year old that *might* be able to do something like this after a long time in development and testing: http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/08/15/1523255/14-Year-Old-Wins-International-Programming-Contest

He just wants the attention :)

Not that this should surprise anyone, but he's deleting comments like crazy - I saw Craig's comment on his channel - a minute later I refresh the page, and what do you know... Gone. He also disabled comments on at least 2 videos, which I think he later made private or deleted. /end Captain Obvious speech/

Then he started bashing someone for using more than one YouTube account, to which I would respond in one word: HYPOCRITE! ("would" meaning "if he didn't block me...")
Now he's playing defensive and contributing nothing to his credibility, which is fine by me... :p

WHAT??? http://www.nicholaschan.net/
The same person that made the 3G4 videos was the same person who made the "it's a fake" video?
YouTube user movingincircles, the same username on that site...

Gilberto Tanzola said:
The same person that made the 3G4 videos was the same person who made the "it's a fake" video?

What a lame end to such an exciting saga...

:rolleyes:

all i can tell from his little website that is that he's a faggot though

hopefully no one at engadget was fired for this little quick laugh

Gilberto Tanzola said:

What a lame end to such an exciting saga...

I'm not following you. Why do you think they're the same person? Because they have the same first name?

Exophase said:
I'm not following you. Why do you think they're the same person? Because they have the same first name?

Two (?) reasons:
1) Same first name, although I'm not totally sure what NWorksDev's real last name is;
2) NWorksDev told me he lived in Phoenix, AZ when I thought he was from Long Beach, CA (long story, someone commented on his skater account, ngskate888, and said his last name was Garcia, which led me to the [wrong?] conclusion about his last name). The WHOIS for nicholaschan.net says "Scottsdale, AZ", which is close enough to Phoenix.

I'll admit I'm not quite sure about any of this - It gets REALLY confusing...

I think those just sound like coincidences... although it'd be pretty funny if it really was the same person. It'd also be pretty out there. Can you imagine making a video with intentional flaws that are later exposed? Going to call pretty unlikely on this, although it'd be a much more interesting story than the current one.

They're not the same person, Nworksdev alias ngskate888 is indeed Nick Garcia, look at his facebook page for confirmation, long hair and skateboard, fits pretty well to his ngskate888 account:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1835938091

(Okay, this is getting creepy, let's stop here with the sleuthing before anyone gets hurt :unsure: )

Poem58 said:

heh.. It's now a closed beta for a "select few".

Back