Obd Ii Diagnostic Software

Nr.56

Hi folks

My wish is somthing special maybe.
What I had in mind is a program like "ScanTool.net" or "OBD Gauge" for the GP2X. Both are open source aplications. In my opinion the GP2X is more appropriate for use in a garage environment than a PPC with stylus control.
Maybe the gp2x could be a cheap solution for smal garages or hobby mechanics.
I do not know if the usb-port of the GP2X is capable of doing the nessesary transfers.

some links:

ScanTool.net

OBD Gauge

if important:

USB interfaces

usb port on gp2x is device only, ie, it only connects to a pc - you can't connect other devices to it.

The cradle is typically used if you wish to plug other usb devices into the gp2x, but thats hardly reliable in a garage environment.

What you really need is a laptop that can take a beating.

Squidge said:
usb port on gp2x is device only, ie, it only connects to a pc - you can't connect other devices to it.

The cradle is typically used if you wish to plug other usb devices into the gp2x, but thats hardly reliable in a garage environment.

What you really need is a laptop that can take a beating.
thanks for your explanation! :D

A laptop is what i use for this now. What i need is a PocketPC-sized unit. A laptop is out of the range of vision on the road. ;)
But does it matter if the conection to the car (CARB-adapter unit) need normaly only a rs232 conection? Is it possible to realise a rs232 conection?

Btw a palm with rs232 works fine with "OBD Gauge"

Last edited by a moderator:
The cradle can provide rs232 as well :) You can do your own usb/serial convertor if you want, but you still need the connector for the bottom of the gp32, which, imo, is not suitable for car diagnostics as it's too fragile.

Yes, a laptop can be troublesome for one person to use whilst also driving the vehicle. For that reason, I usually find someone willing to drive the laptop or car, or use a local rolling road which makes the entire thing a lot easier.

Squidge said:
The cradle can provide rs232 as well :) You can do your own usb/serial convertor if you want, but you still need the connector for the bottom of the gp32, which, imo, is not suitable for car diagnostics as it's too fragile.

Yes, a laptop can be troublesome for one person to use whilst also driving the vehicle. For that reason, I usually find someone willing to drive the laptop or car, or use a local rolling road which makes the entire thing a lot easier.
:D
Okay, in this case I have to give up.
Maybe not bad at all, one more reason to buy the "craginator". The new Handheld should not have any problems with USB-conections. :blink:
I will ask again !! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The other option to consider is the Nokia N770 or N800 (ideally N800) as both have mature ODB apps that use serial probes that run over the Bluetooth link. At least it gives you something else to look at.

I did think about doing something like this myself (I write OBD software as my full time job!).

Most larger companies opt for ruggidised laptops or similar. A few of our customers use PDAs. Others use all in one boxes with nice chunky buttons and a simple LCD.

Note that most OBD kit is RS232 based, but often has a USB to serial chip added for use with laptops. So in theory you could pop an ELM chip directly onto the RS232 pins of the GP2x. You'd just have the vehicle side electronics to worry about.

Back