Odroid-Go Advance

I actually have two of these and I think they're potentially amazing devices. Right now, the big problem is a mature OS.

I also have an RG350 I've been comparing notes on, and each have their pros and cons, but the OGA is probably my favorite handheld at this point.

Right now the known available OS's for the OGA are two different variants of the same Ubuntu 18.04 base image, one with Retroarch and one without, Batocera (With its own quirks), Debian Buster, EmuElec and rumor has it Lakka is working on a port.

I'd say the controls (mostly concerned with d-pad) of this are rather good actually. Much better than pocketgo in my experience. Fast processor, big battery and hopefully long time support from hardkernel makes it a really nice IMO.

Downsides are relative big size, very much open case hence dust lives in it, and the plastic casing isn't the best one.

All in all my favored emulation handheld ATM. Would love to know if there is a better one available?

I'd say the controls (mostly concerned with d-pad) of this are rather good actually. Much better than pocketgo in my experience. Fast processor, big battery and hopefully long time support from hardkernel makes it a really nice IMO.

Downsides are relative big size, very much open case hence dust lives in it, and the plastic casing isn't the best one.

All in all my favored emulation handheld ATM. Would love to know if there is a better one available?

There's a few other units that share similar structure to this one but nowhere near the price point. Dust doesn't really seem to be a problem at this point and if it does, could just blow it out with a little vacuum. The LCD sits so snugly against the front frame I'd be surprised if you got dust between it and the screen protector.

This is definitely my favorite handheld. It's light, it's powerful. My only gripes are a lack of two shoulder buttons, and the function buttons tend to get kinda mushy and don't always pop back up timely after I press them. Too much travel in them, I think. It's like there was supposed to be plastic keycaps over them.

But for what it runs, it runs very well. I have a Retrostone 1 and I've been comparing notes and for all the pros and cons of each, I definitely love my OGA more.

Thought I'd necro this post as I just wanted to make a few comments on the OGA:
  • I like the form, however, there's a massive notch missing where the SD card gets inserted. Not really sure why they cut it all back, but it's where one of my fingers rests, so it's a little uncomfortable
  • I'm disappointed from a software perspective.
    • 99% of OS images are just libretro and a front end (usually Emulation Station at that too)
    • There's one "desktop" based OS...
      • I gave up trying to install the desktop after it took 4 hours to get half way... and it was trying to install LibreOffice... All I wanted was a simple desktop, then install things as and when I chose.
      • Also, in order to use the wireless, not only do you have to configure the wifi, but you have to disable the eth0 device (which wasn't specified).
    • There's virtually no homebrew, and seems very little interest in as much. So unless you use SDL, you're rolling your own everything. I did try porting Allegro5, but it was highly unsuccessful. I might have a go a Raylib, but I doubt I'd do any better at that. Somebody else also asked about Godot, but there's no build of that either.
    • I did end up building my own library that wraps Allegro 5 (for desktop) as well as libgo2, but the libgo2 version doesn't utilise GLES, which means it's all CPU driven... (I did start an SDL2 binding, but haven't touched it for a while). Either way, it's 2D only, and I kinda wanted to start playing with a bit of 3D (hence the potential for looking into Raylib and Godot)
I know the original Odroid Go was designed as a tinker device, and I assume to some level the OGA was too, considering it still has the GPIO ports on top, but it kind of feels like it's just another "emulation" device that you buy as a kit.

Last edited:
I thought Ptitseb was targetting the OG while he was looking for something more powerful than the Pandora but the Pyra wasn't out yet. Doesn't any of that carry on to the OGA, or am I completely misremembering?

No, the GO was an ESP32 embedded platform. The OGA is a Linux based Rockchip RK3326

Out of curiosity - does pcb color influence price, or are all colors equally priced? Or is it just a cosmetic change? I figure it will create darker colors when coloring the white shell.

Yes. Generally mid gloss green is cheapest, because that's the default most people go for. It's harder for them to build up an entire board for customers wanting a handful of boards of a specific colour, and the more unusual the longer the lead times and the more expensive it is.

Are we talking general pcb production or in relation to the OGA?
If we're talking OGA, then no, as far as i know the price is the same for the two "black edition" units

Yes, in terms of the OGA I'd expect the small difference in the production price of the PCB to be outweighed by the cost of plastic moulds and batteries and screens. @Steringely asked a direct question though and I answered it directly. I did wonder why he was asking that question here, but I didn't at the time know the some OGA devices had differently coloured PCBs, so I answered it straightforwardly.

Not knocking your answer. There was an adjustment to the OGA for the second batch (black edition) for the change in power port and extra buttons, and part of that they spoke about changing the pcb colour to go with the new case options and name

I got an OGA recently after forgetting about it for a while and having fun programming the ESP32 GO. Glad I waited for the update with USB-C charging because who needs more non-standard cables...

A few things I like:
  • Good price for nice hardware. I like the idea of saving costs by shipping it unassembled and using good-enough materials.
  • Detailed how-to assemble video
  • Replaceable battery with a standard connector
  • Large enough to be ergonomic, medium weight
  • 3:2 screen is neat and the backlight can dim low for indoors
  • Quiet volume range and a headphones port, big improvements over the first GO
  • Good dev support from Hardkernel and community
  • Official SD image boots fast

And some small cons:
  • No standard volume buttons
  • Official image doesn't seem to have sleep mode
  • Heavy focus on emulation just like the first GO, but there's potential for more. I see some people running their own APT repos to distribute homebrew which is cool.

I like the combination of fast cores and low-res 320x480 screen, it will be fun for software graphics.

oga-caanoo2.jpg

The black version looks a lot nicer than the clear version to me... kind of wish I I had that choice when I got mine. Still love it though.

And some small cons:
Does the case cutout for SD card not bother you?

I was disappointed in the lack of interest from a non-emulator point of view, so much so, I've kind of stopped visiting the forums. What homebrew is being put out?

I've bust the left shoulder button on my unit, so it's kind of been put aside... that and I'm doing little travelling to take it on. I'll still consider compiling my code for it (if I ever actually make something), as got Raylib working.

Does the case cutout for SD card not bother you?
It does a little, but I cut it some slack when it comes to imperfections like that given its price and DIY nature.

I was disappointed in the lack of interest from a non-emulator point of view, so much so, I've kind of stopped visiting the forums. What homebrew is being put out?
My bad, what I read about an apt repo was for a different Odroid board. The idea could still make sense though, and apparently you can use config files to add more sections to the default launcher.

It does a little, but I cut it some slack when it comes to imperfections like that given its price and DIY nature.
Yeah, I get it, though I do find it pretty uncomfortable, and yet, I can't imagine it'd have been harder to just leave a cutout slot for the SD card...
Though double-checking, the SD card slot isn't spring loaded, which probably explains that. Not sure the price difference of plastic for that cutout to a springloaded slot. I'm assuming the plastic must have been a bit cheaper.

My bad, what I read about an apt repo was for a different Odroid board. The idea could still make sense though, and apparently you can use config files to add more sections to the default launcher.
Ah, shame...
I must admit, that's one thing I do like about the Pandora/Pyra crowd... There seems to be an interest in the device beyond just emulating computers/consoles.

Yeah, but the thing with the OGA, it does have a fullsize USB port, so you can easily add keyboard, mouse, and/or USB hub.
I've got one of these pocket keyboard/mouse (below) and it's about the same size as the OGA, so perfect little companion. Like I said, the only thing that I think it misses for making this an all-rounder is that TV out support.
Code:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004TQL3YS
41M4AujUZwL._AC_.jpg

Back