Official Blog: " Sneak Peek At The Menu And Some Case Stuff"

This isn't just an emu frontend ;-) It's a complete system launcher, intended as an alternative to running a full distro like Angstrom. Much like Gmenu2x on the GP2X (which we were originally going to get on Pandora).

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it have to be such an emo design (the colours and the stuff on the right) as default? What is wrong with the "technical", positive, clean light blue?

But to give some more constructive positive feedback: Why is the favorites list with covers only and not like the others with the name? Text might be easier to glance over.

'Spirit' said:
Does it have to be such an emo design (the colours and the stuff on the right) as default? What is wrong with the "technical", positive, clean light blue?
But to give some more constructive positive feedback: Why is the favorites list with covers only and not like the others with the name? Text might be easier to glance over.

It's only a theme and can easily be changed :)

Probably so they take up less room and you can fit in more favourites?

'Spirit' said:

By "sneak peek" I'm guessing this is currently bare basics getting the tech to work. I would love it if this is quick launch menu, for those times you don't need or want to fully boot up the full OS, like the quick launch on that new SONY Vaio P ultraportable thing. But got the feeling its going to be an alternative OS. :(

However, it does need a GUI makeover, at the moment its a car crash...

Okay read what I wrote and I sounded far too negative... not what I meant.
Its a great start and by the time OP comes out, it should be very interesting.

Over complicates things - the sub screens with screenshots etc are completely unnecessary. If they're needed, bring them up a level to the main screen.

Take a close look at the Ubuntu netbook remix launcher or XBMC. Selecting an item should launch it. Use a context menu or similar alternate for add to favourites etc - perhaps tap should launch, tap and hold should show a menu?

Also, make the favourites menu the primary shown upon launch. Alternatively have the favourites in a dock type display.

Very nice how the PXML stuff automatically categorises things - but as a quick launch menu it's not quick ;)

Please, Please, Please, Please have non-pointer navigation!
I don't know if it is supported or not b/c in the video the pointer was used for everything, but I don't intend to be using the touchscreen all that much and would prefer in general to pretend that the device doesn't have one.

prehaps you arnt expected to always use the touch screen, maybe sometimes you use the controller to move your mouse instead of your finger.

'azmodean' said:
Please, Please, Please, Please have non-pointer navigation!
I don't know if it is supported or not b/c in the video the pointer was used for everything, but I don't intend to be using the touchscreen all that much and would prefer in general to pretend that the device doesn't have one.
Same here.
I'd have thought that this one would be designed for the controls over the pointer, as the full desktop is better with the pointer. Maybe the pointer is just easier for testing, seeing as though they don't have an actual completed unit for testing it on yet :)

'Alpha2' said:
prehaps you arnt expected to always use the touch screen, maybe sometimes you use the controller to move your mouse instead of your finger.
It is my understanding that touchscreen desktops for Linux merely make the mouse pointer invisible. For the Archos PMA430, someone created a USB mouse driver with a small utility to bring up or hide the mouse pointer. I'm sure something like that could be done for Pandora as well.

its look fugly
but all easily changed, im just glad theres a 'Game' GUI and a 'Desktop' GUI, exactly what i asked for :)

I personally don't care that much for release. but it would be good for the reviews if it's nice and polished. Confident it will be when the time comes

Karel Jansens said:
Alpha2 said:
It is my understanding that touchscreen desktops for Linux merely make the mouse pointer invisible. For the Archos PMA430, someone created a USB mouse driver with a small utility to bring up or hide the mouse pointer. I`m sure something like that could be done for Pandora as well.
Reading what he said again I realized that my own post drifted aimlessly because I stopped for a few minutes to download a new anime and forgot my original point. But I see now he`s asking to be able to navigate it with dpad controls rather than clicking on things. My fault for being half a sleep when I started it and wandering of like a cat chasing dust particles.

Back