Official Promotion And/or Boot Animation/Jingle Thread.

+1 vote for the retro boot animation!!

Love the way the little guy watches the Linux penguin fly by

Small Details makes it best !
If any moderator could show up on this topic it would actually be nice if they could change the topic name to :
Official Promotion And/or Boot Animation/Jingle Thread.

I'm honestly not liking the idea of a boot animation. A loading screen seems much more attractive/conventional to me (especially for a device that's running Linux).

Boot animation will always be interchangable or could be removed as i understood.
Everybody has different tastes and the pandora is made for everybody , thats why its customisable and open source.

I don't understand the lack of startup sound. With a physical volume wheel, you could just turn it off if you didn't want sound.

PSyMastR said:
I don't understand the lack of startup sound. With a physical volume wheel, you could just turn it off if you didn't want sound.
Better to allow the user to disable/enable it without needing to use the volume control. There's nothing worse than having the volume up full whack, switching the thing off, then forgetting to turn the volume down when you switch it on again in e.g. a library...

Now that I think about it, I need to correct myself - there is something worse: shutdown sounds, like my phone has by default. Just when you need to turn the thing off in order to be quiet, it decides to blurt out an unnecessary and very annoying jingle, just to let you know it's shutting down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nailz said:
The Retro Animation is excellent! I would love to see it with sound....
Doing this right now , and composing a jingle

hells_dark said:
I've just watched again the retro animation.
Everything is so cool. Except maybe the last logo (the openpandora one) which looks weird pixelised.
No?
Yeah you're right , it was one of the first things i drew and i noticed i kinda went fast on that one , will be fixed !

CronoTriggerfan said:
Yeah, the retro one is the best by far! :D Throw in some more pixel consoles and make it a tad bit faster and I'd say it's by far the best choice.
If i had more consoles AND reduce de timing , it will be too crowded and fast to notice whats happening.
( i think Gameboy for portability + Snes + playstation + a portable pc ( that opens alot of door ) a linux pinguin ( who adds alot of options too ) and a neo geo console ( to represent arcade systems ) was a good choice. And even the PC could look like a version of an Amiga console )
i think if we throw in a loading bar on the bottom while this plays and everything is okay.

Yeah and if theres some programmers who wants to work with me for a complete retro pixelised theme ( featuring the little pandora dude ) im up for it !

Pleeeeeease, no more eye-based boot/bios animations. They're creepy, have no relevance to the device and I'd get so bored/annoyed at looking at them to the point where I'd go out of my way to remove them from the firmware if I had to.

TaG said:
craigix wanted the eyes...
Yes, but that is not the boot animation (because we can't have video for this) so i guess it will be easily customizable (i hope so).

Thanks Mr.Gonzo. I'm waiting for your musical version :)

Its done ! just waiting for youtube to process it :)
I will update this post in a few minutes when its done !
( and my first post to include the new version )

EDIT: Pandora retro animation Version 2 is done ! with audio and a small jingle :)
you can find it HERE!

its by far my favourite, but i think its a bit messy.

i mean the way the guy scrolls off the screen twice, its not very easy on the eyes.
imo he should just get caught by the box as he lets go of the ground.

Mr.Gonzo said:
hells_dark said:
I've just watched again the retro animation.
Everything is so cool. Except maybe the last logo (the openpandora one) which looks weird pixelised.
No?
Yeah you're right , it was one of the first things i drew and i noticed i kinda went fast on that one , will be fixed !

It has bin fixed too in V2 :)

And thanks for the feedback

Again, I like this retro theme.
The 8-bit sounds are nifty, but I'm unsure about the "pandora" voice. It reminds me of the sentry guns from Portal*.

Less is more, in my opinion.

*"Are you still there?"

Back